Deciding on first electronic drum set - need advice

I vote for the Roland TD-4. There are some good sales happening this weekend and Roland is offering a $200 rebate.
I went to the local music store to buy the DTXPLORER today and a Roland rep was actually in the store and the TD4S had a $200 rebate so for end cost of $100 more, I got the Roland. I previously had the TD4SX which I gave to a nephew. I actually like the feel of the rubber pads over the mesh ones..

Nothing wrong with the Roland rubber pads - nice purchase BTW.

When I switched from rubber to mesh I was initially disappointed. However, I think it's just different and I prefer the mesh now.

Davo

The thing that surprised me the most about the electro musicians that I played with that I mentioned in my earlier post is this.
I don't think that they really understood my position on playing real drums.
I think that they got the concept of my feelings.
I think that they respected my playing ability.
Deep down inside, I really think that they would have been just as happy if I had played the crap e-kit.
I don't think that they could really hear the difference in the sound of my perfectly tuned maple drums and my hand made Istanbul cymbals.
I think that they are so into the electronic gizmos that they play, that they don't hear the difference.
They are intrigued by electronics, not musical sound quality!

I think you're stereotyping us and making some generalizations there. Creating electronic music involves a lot of experimentation to find the proper "mixes": what kind of effects/sounds to use for certain feels or certain tempos.

Their rationale was that for the particular project, the ability of the e-drums to change voices, to add effects when necessary, and other factors may be why they overlooked the disadvantages of e-drums. There haven't been many drummers who utilize acoustic drums for electronic music; they definitely play to it though.

Why doesn't a house drummer just grab a Cascio keyboard from Toys R Us? ;-)

I bought the roland hd lite last month. I really like it. It's around $600. The mesh head on the snare is great. I wish the toms had it too. The all mesh sets are too pricey for me though.

Im wanting a e kit to pratice sometimes. Sometimes i would love to pratice at night. Like 2 in the morning. I know they are not silent but they would work for me. I could really play my regular set out here. I have move out to the country and dont really have many neighbors. However, I always feel funny playing at night. I guess thats the city boy in me. Do any of you guys use these kits just for pratice and pratice only? And do you still pratice alot on your regular kit? Does it help or does it hinder the feel of your regular kit? Because i could see me praticing with a e kit but i dont think i would ever gig with it

Do any of you guys use these kits just for pratice and pratice only? And do you still pratice alot on your regular kit? Does it help or does it hinder the feel of your regular kit? Because i could see me praticing with a e kit but i dont think i would ever gig with it

I use e-kits for both practice and sometimes playing (in church)...yes I still practice quite a bit on my A-kit...the feel of both kits is different, however I still find e-kits a very useful tool for practice, especially on your meter (and any play along tracks)..and...oh yea it is nice being able to get on the kit at 10 PM (and later) to practice/play..:)

Nothing wrong with the Roland rubber pads - nice purchase BTW.

When I switched from rubber to mesh I was initially disappointed. However, I think it's just different and I prefer the mesh now.

Davo

hey i just got a set of roland td 10's with the expansion board installed. would you say that is a good kit to start out with. i have only been playing about 6 months or so.

Hi, I'm brand new so if this is in the wrong place let me know.

I'm getting my first electronic set soon (first drum set of any kind). I'm debating between three models and I'd like some feedback.

Alesis DM6
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-DM6-Electronic-Drum-Set?sku=620364

Yamaha DTXplorer
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-DTXPLORER-Electronic-Drum-Set?sku=490906

Simmons SD7PK
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Simmons-SD7PK-Electronic-Drum-Set?sku=585852

Thanks.

hey im kinda new new to drumming also, i got a set of roland td-10"s and i love them but i dont really know any difference. but i just wanted to try to help you out, my rolands are great if you can swing it financialy

Get the yamaha DTX IV, I just bought one and its a lot of fun. I did have the DTX Explorer a few years back and it was fine but I dont like the wedge cymbals. Like mentioned in this post they do not compare to acoustic kits but are great for practice and great to mess around on. When my drum shed is finished I will incorporate it into my acoustic kit, win , win.

I ended up getting the DTXplorer. I'll eventually upgrade but for now it's good for my purposes. They gave me 10% off also, after a huge hassle I went through with some errors on their part. So I got the kit, a drum throne, double kick, instructional dvds, and 3 sets of sticks for $700.

i know this isa probably quite old but i would recommend an acoustic drum kit, once you change from acoustic to electric, you miss acoustic a lot, i switched to electric and then missed acoustic so bad, not as much fun with electric.

Yeah. 3 1/2 years old. :rollseyes:

I'm certain he's made his decision by now or has given up and started playing guitar.

And, doesn't it seem odd that someone would come into the E drum section and answer a question like this with "get an acoustic kit"? Seems odd to me.

Back