Meg White

She does whats needed to make the song sound good. To me thats a great drummer.

I couldn't agree more. While not technically proficient, her drumming fits the music perfectly........imagine Mike Portnoy on Seven Nation Army.....blaaaaaaaaa

Don't jump on me if this is an absolutly stupid question, but why do people act like it is totally awful if the toms are angled the "wrong" way? I never heard any rules so far that say you have to angle? What is the differance in it? The sound? Or the way you hit the tom? I'm confused.

Don't jump on me if this is an absolutly stupid question, but why do people act like it is totally awful if the toms are angled the "wrong" way? I never heard any rules so far that say you have to angle? What is the differance in it? The sound? Or the way you hit the tom? I'm confused.

You know I noticed Tony Williams' latter years set ups had toms that were not THAT different in angle and certainly nobody would tell Tony he's "setting them up wrong".

But whatever.

Meg White is the perfect drummer for her band. She makes you think "White Stripes", like Ringo made you think "Beatles", Alex Van Halen made you think "Duuude" and anything Vinnie plays on, it's "Vinnie!".

Everybody has their place. If Vinnie played with White Stripes, I dunno.. not quite the same.

You know I noticed Tony Williams' latter years set ups had toms that were not THAT different in angle and certainly nobody would tell Tony he's "setting them up wrong".

Well his were set up like that for traditional

Last edited:
What I'm saying is wether it's an opinion or not, people shouldn't say that another person sets up their set screwed up...their set might be for their type of playing or something to their advantage that no one even knows about. Tell your opinion...don't harass other drummers though by your opinion.

Ok, that's all I have to say.

Hello, fellows.

It`s simple, you adapt the drums to yourself and vice versa to the most convenient way to play. There is no such square standard to set the drums.

i.e: Keith Moon never played an steady hi-hat, he liked to ride the cymbals.

Cheers,

tony4.jpg

megwhite4.jpg

Yeah, some difference.

For jazz? I dunno, it's for whatever is comfortable to you.

From seeing other pics of that kit, the tom had the swirl stripe design on it (like the bass drum head), so, it makes me think that it's angled that way so people can see the stripes.

You can still hit the tom and get a decent sound out of it angled that way, and you don't have to angle your hand any differently.

She's perfect for that band. I like the unusual beats and the lack of the usual "drummer thinking" that goes into what they do.

Sometimes we forget that in music there aren't supposed to be any "rules", if it fits and it sounds good, it IS good, and however the person gets the the 'sounding good' part is irrelevant.

Meg plays raw, funky drums for the same kinda music, The White Stripes are the best thing to happen to rock'n'roll in the last 10 years!
and i for one believe playing with heart is more important than flawless tecnique, especially in the rock'n'roll bizz!

Meg White is a drummer, getting paid a great deal of money, to do what she wants to do.

Play the drums.

In my eyes that makes her a great drummer.

She enjoys what she does, and what she does sustains her.

www.wolvesatthedoor.com

Hello, fellows.

It`s simple, you adapt the drums to yourself and vice versa to the most convenient way to play. There is no such square standard to set the drums.

i.e: Keith Moon never played an steady hi-hat, he liked to ride the cymbals.

Cheers,

my thoughts exactly, even though I do not have many pieces to set up!

Meg is one of the most interesting and unique drummers that I have ever seen! She is a pure artist. I couldn't take my eyes off of her! Everything about her is different and simply beautiful.

Last edited:
Meg rocks! Check out Icky Thump on YouTube.

What she plays fits the song and it doesn't seem to suffer too much for not having blazing fills or subtle nuances on the kit. There's not a single moment where she's trying to slip in any pet licks or tricks. Like Phil Rudd or Mr Peace and Lurve she just plays the song with no bull[] and leaves space for the music to happen. That gives Jack a ton of freedom. No wonder he likes working with her.

Meg White is a great drummer! She plays without a bass player. She has great feel! She plays for the song (not herself) and do you think Jack White ( also a good drummer ) would make music with someone who was no good.

I don't care what they say, I play the drums totally free and relax.

Attachments

• Meg White.jpg
    Meg White.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 9,330
The only thing about her playing that baffles me is how high her throne is. She's practically standing up.

Back