My Ayotte kit

earlypops

Hello people. I'm new to this forum so I thought what better way to say hello and introduce myself than showing my kit to you all.

Ayotte custom.

22x16 Kick
12x8 rack
16x16 floor tom

14x6 Tama Star one ply maple snare

Sabian
14" HH hi hats
18" HH Medium crash
21" Vault 3 point ride
20" HH Sound control crash

Attachments

• 548911_10151766724162702_1070025966_n.jpg
    548911_10151766724162702_1070025966_n.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 738
I picked it up last year when I was traveling through the States.it has always been a dream of mine to own an Ayotte, ever since I saw them in my local drum shop back in the 90's.

I was fortunate that one came up for sale in pretty much the exact sizes that I use. I picked up the Tama Star snare earlier this year in Japan. Went in a shop over in Tokyo and they had a massive snare drum selection. Hit a few of the Star snare and was blown away. It's up there with my Keplinger, different but great.

Sweet kit. Welcome to Drummerworld.​

Yes, welcome to DW. That is one beautiful kit. More pics! More angles!

Neither did I... Had to go take a look to see for myself. For those interested:

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/product/snare_data.php?series_id=44&sig_flg=0&year=2013&area=4

Nice looking kit, and those are some tasty cymbals you have there.

Yeah, I heard that they had started making them when I went on holiday to Tokyo. Went to a couple of great drum shops there with the most amazing snare drum rooms. They had the four specialty Star snares which are the stave Walnut and Ash, and the solid shell Maple and Birch. For me it came down to the Stave Ash and the solid maple. Ended up getting the maple, but I'm going to head back some time next year and get the ash. I played them next to some Craviottos and personally preferred the Tama star sound. Great drums.

Congrats, beautiful kit! How much did you pay for the shells?

I think I paid around $1800US for the ayotte shells. And around $800 for the snare drum. I'm trying to collect snares now.
Ayotte a aren't as sought after as they used to be because every Tom, Dick and Harry drum company offer wood hoops now and to be fair there are some beautiful drums out there. For me, I always wanted an Ayotte because I loved how they looked and sounded back in the day, and that left an impression so when one came up in my sizes at a reasonable price, I found it hard to turn down.
I'm planning on getting another kit next year, might go for a Yamaha club custom or a recording custom. I'm going to be in Japan, so I can get one for a decent price.

Yamaha club custom or a recording custom. I'm going to be in Japan, so I can get one for a decent price.

You'd have to get them used, then. Yamaha discontinued most of their lines this year in a split with Sakae (previously mentioned), their biggest factory. Now Sakae makes their own stuff and Yamaha is opening/opened a new factory in China for their new lines, the first of which is the Live Custom. People seem to really like those, so I guess the factory is pretty much up to par, but the RCs and CCs are discontinued now.

You'd have to get them used, then. Yamaha discontinued most of their lines this year in a split with Sakae (previously mentioned), their biggest factory. Now Sakae makes their own stuff and Yamaha is opening/opened a new factory in China for their new lines, the first of which is the Live Custom. People seem to really like those, so I guess the factory is pretty much up to par, but the RCs and CCs are discontinued now.

I think quite a few shops over there still have them. I think the Club customs are still being built over there. When I was there in June the were still bringing in Club customs and the sales guy told me that they were one of the only ones that were still being made in Japan. Plus I just found out from a friend in Japan that they are making new recording customs.

The thing is, when your over there you see all sorts of stuff from pearl, tama and yamaha that you wouldn't see anywhere else. Like prototype stuff. Lots and lots of limited edition stuff.

I think quite a few shops over there still have them. I think the Club customs are still being built over there. When I was there in June the were still bringing in Club customs and the sales guy told me that they were one of the only ones that were still being made in Japan. Plus I just found out from a friend in Japan that they are making new recording customs.

The thing is, when your over there you see all sorts of stuff from pearl, tama and yamaha that you wouldn't see anywhere else. Like prototype stuff. Lots and lots of limited edition stuff.

Huh, okay. Interesting.

Back