Pedals are too stiff

What exactly do you mean by stiff? Heavy/sluggish feel? Difficult to execute quick patterns?

They probably don't need a rebuild.
Pedals only need new bearings if there is "play" or looseness in them.
Cleaning and lubricating should do the trick.
Make sure that heavy springs weren't installed by the previous owner.

Yes, but how do I lube the things with out taking it apart?

Taking appart your pedal and cleaning it thoroughly is a good approach to re-gain the original smoothness of the pedal, it's often neglected by drummers, but it can restore a pedal to it's original condition, and it's certainly cheaper than buying a new one.

The whole operation takes about an hour to do.

Stage 1

Use the tools to take your pedal appart (picture 1), these tools should be OK, however do not force on screws and bolts to the point of breaking them.

Stage 2

You lay down all items on the floor, make sure you don't loose any parts (picture 2), and select the parts (picture 3) you want to bath in a bucket with some de-greasing agent (picture 4) you can brush the parts with an old toothbrush, but do not leave the parts too long in the bucket, the pedal frame and footplate can be cleaned by hand using a de-greasing agent.

Ensure that all parts are thoroughly rinsed and dried, then lubricate the parts that need it, and rebuild the pedal, it should be a simple reverse order, take care to adjust the chain and the cam in a paralell manner to the footboard, it's essential for smooth playing, voilà, a brand new pedal, the picture shows a Tama Camco as many pedals on the market are just a variation of it's design, it will work on the Iron Cobras.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Camco1.jpg
    Camco1.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 266
  • Camco2.jpg
    Camco2.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 272
  • Camco3.jpg
    Camco3.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 264
  • Camco4.jpg
    Camco4.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 270
just apply it to the bearings, and use gravity to make it fall through

This.

Oiling the bearings doesn't require dis-assembly. But, bearings aren't normally oiled, but greased...and that would require dis-assembly. It's up to you on which one you want to do, really.

you don't really need to grease them... seriously just try cleaning out the gunk with wd40 and a tooth brush, then put some of this on it
TAMA-TOL2_medium.jpg

you don't really need to grease them... seriously just try cleaning out the gunk with wd40 and a tooth brush, then put some of this on it
TAMA-TOL2_medium.jpg
I agree. Pedals very seldom have to come apart.
A simple lube job will probably do the trick.

If it's the slave pedal in particular, I'd clean it with WD40 as others have said and lubricate it. If it still feels sticky, use some spray PTFE grease- you can get it from motorbike shops, spray the bearings and then disconnect the chain so the spindle can turn freely and use an electric drill and if necessary a sticky pad to spin the spindle for a couple of minutes. If the drill reverses, then do it in the other direction for a couple of minutes too and you'll be amazed at the difference.

I do this to all of my pedals when I first get them and then probably once a year as maintenance.

Back