Virgil Donati

Alex Duthart.

Thinshells - If it were true that I and others only choose to denigrate drummers because we are envious of their ability, and/or have personal insecurities, then it follows we would do the same for all massively successful and influential drummers, no? Virgil is well-known in the drumming community, but is not, as we have seen, respected by all. Drummers like Vinnie, Gadd, and Porcaro are or were massively respected by nearly everone who plays drums, and have contributed so much to popular music that their fame extends well beyond the drumming family. So why don't I have bad things to say about these guys? Why don't I come on here and try to convince people the Gadd can't groove? Hmmm, I wonder....

I AM envious of Vinnie, and I AM envious of Gadd, but I do not slag them off. I don't have much time for Virgil, I don't have much respect for him, and so I will say negative things about his playing. Doesn't that make more sense than your position?

The arguments that Virgil can't groove are far from inane. People who say he can't groove are not fools. I painstakingly explained my position in a previous post which now I can't see....maybe it was in the Thomas Lang thread instead. When someone assures me he can groove, I can only assume their ear is not as sensitive as mine. I don't want this to become personal, but if I am going to be called a fool for my position, I think it's fair to defend myself.

I fail to see how J expressing his belief that Virgil can groove 'slaughters' anyone's argument to the contrary. And this tired old line of 'He can groove, he just plays stuff you can't understand' is really getting annoying. Finn has argued against this previously. It is actually the knowledgeable people who do understand the crazy stuff he plays that aren't wowed into declaring him a genius, because we can see through it. I saw Virgil playing in the Baked Potato, attempting to groove at a medium 4/4 tempo. It sounded HORRIBLE.

Ok Ok Ok
Not very long long long time ago in a hour of really depression I deleted a whole Virgil Donati and a Thomas Lang thread here in the Forum (Rude Founder Power!!!!)

There are so many different animals in nature, so why comparing bears with tigers or cats with dog? Why not taking from every drummer what you like and going down to the practice room and improve a little?

Take it as fact:

- Virgil can groove like hell!!! Yes, of course - haaaa (more than 99.9% of us all)
- Steve Gadd can play anything - also Planet X stuff - haaaa haaa - of course!!!!
- Thomas Lang can also play anything - of course!!!!!
- of course all three deserve their place at Drummerworld - haa

So what?

I had the rare chance to hang out with exactly those three and some more at PASIC. Steve attended the Virgil Clinic and was blown away, Virgil attended the Steve Gadd clinic and was blown away too. Thomas did'nt play, but was blown away too.

And all three were blown away by TERREON GULLY!!!!! Watch this guy!!

Bernhard

So what?

I had the rare chance to hang out with exactly those three and some more at PASIC. Steve attended the Virgil Clinic and was blown away, Virgil attended the Steve Gadd clinic and was blown away too. Thomas did'nt play, but was blown away too.

And all three were blown away by TERREON GULLY!!!!! Watch this guy!!

Bernhard

NOW THIS is what Im talking about.....you CAN learn something from EVERYONE.....Just keep open....good post Bern

Bernhard said:
There are so many different animals in nature, so why comparing bears with tigers or cats with dog?

Just for the record:

Tigers are cooler than bears.
Bears are tougher than dogs.
Dogs smell worse than cats.

This is not an opinion. This is a mathematically proven FACT!

(Sorry, went all L. Ron for a minute there..)

I think my position on Virgil's groove ability is well known so I won't even get into it...As far as the respect for Virgil in the drumming communtiy? The only dis-respect I've sceen of him comes from a handfull of people who comment on message boards, and thats pretty much it...I find it very awkward, that one of the most well know clinicians and studio drummers in world (who supposedly can't groove) would show up at clinics worldwide and explain the "developement of groove", and then demonstrate it to standing ovations...

Last edited:
Thank's Bernhard for that much needed insight. The fact is some people think that their opinion about what is musical and what groove's is ABSOLUTE! I would like to know when did they get together and decide that their opinion is THE TRUTH! When will some people wake up and figure out that they made up their mind's about what suit's them long ago and anything that does not follow suit is not up to par for them. What absolute arrogance and worse off flat out foolishness. I will say it again it is SOME of those who sit at home and wish they were actually making a REAL mark in the drumming and music world and want to be admired by those relevant that make the outrageous comment's about someone not being able to groove or play music. But it is guy's like Virg, Vinnie, Gadd, Minneman, Smith, Lang, Weckl, Bozzio, Phillip's the list goes on and on who all have tremendous admiration for one another and are actually telling the truth when they give Praise to one another. I myself have been in company of Vinnie, Smith, Horacio, Bozzio, Mangini and other's while watching Virg and have gotten a kick out of them being truly blown away by the Man's playing. And then watching Virg, Smith and Mangini hang while being truly moved by Vinnie's performance. Their humility and respect for eachother is truly moving.

Again for those who have a hard time accepting the truth. Virg is admired, respected and held in HIGH regard(and has been for years) by those who truly have left a lasting and positive mark in the drumming world.

For all lovers of guitars, of a mélange of styles, and of Music, don't miss the International Guitar Festival of Nérac, in south-west France, February 24-26, 2006.

The lineup :

- CAB BAND : Bunny Brunel, Tony MacAlpine, Virgil Donati and Steve Weingart

- Natural High Trio : Frank Gambale, Alain Caron and Otmaro Ruiz

- Ferenc Snétberger and Markus Stockhausen

- Nabil Khalidi, Thierry Colson and Khalid Kouhen

- Forestare

An outstanding lineup in more ways than one, if only because of the European debut of the all-star band CAB BAND. The festival will welcome legendary musicians such as Virgil Donati, Bunny Brunel and Tony MacAlpine, as well as Frank Gambale and Alain Caron.

Do not miss the master classes, a stringed instruments and equipment exposition, and free fringe events, among other delights.

For information and reservations: www.festivalguitar.com

sweet! CAB playing on this side of the Atlantic. i'm in london but am seriously considering getting to France for this.

is there a website for the festival?

and if Virgil can't groove, then why did he replace Dennis (universally considered to have one of the deepest pockets in the world) in CAB? i think his playing is brilliant with CAB.

I don't think everyone realises what Virgil is doing in his clinics. clinics are aimed at drummers. it's not necessarily a performance based purely on musically. clinics are about the sharing of technical knowledge, and playing tips, and in virgil's clinics he's displaying his technique and talent. I don't think there's anything wrong with this, as it's not your average concert. they are like one big drum lesson.

and i wish people would lay off Virgil. The impression I get is that he gets all the stick for his technical playing, whereas other players in his genre (mangini, lang, minnemann etc) get let off the hook. why is there so much negative feeling towards him? it's almost seems like some people want to punish him for exploring the boundaries of the instrument, and discovering what can be done with four limbs.

Jonny you brought up a great point about yeah he does get alot of crap thrown his way for being to extreme and over the top as compared to the other's(fact is he has established the genre of extreme drumming more than any other drummer by far) but I can guarantee this, he is playing with a more diverse group of musicians in more diverse musical setting's than any of the other guy's mentioned BY FAR! And the honest truth is that his playing is more diverse than MOST drummer's who are fairly well known or very well known. And the guy's who rip on him WISH! yeah that is right they wish they could play with 1/10 of the guy's that Virg plays with on a regular basis. Talk is cheap. Virg does not have to talk and does not waste his time talking trash about other drummer's and musicians he is too busy tearing it up with the greatest musicians in the world.

I think Virgil Donati plays doubles with his feet better than anyone

Check him out on the MD Festival 1997

Virgil Donati and band at NAMM

For Virgil fans, this is a short clip of Virgil soloing during his band's performance at NAMM. Virgil was playing with Mitch Forman, Rufus Philpot and Tony Macalpine. There will be much lengthier clips of the bands performance featured at the Pearl site in the very near future.

http://www.youtube.com/?v=Eq-wpsbwv_w

Re: Virgil Donati and band at NAMM

Im not easily impressed these days but that was just ridiculous. INSANE! Never seen anything like it and i have seen them all you name them LANG MINNEMANN RABB BOZZIO ERLANDSON etc. SO much energy, so physical, so creative so.....RIDICULOUS is the only word for it!

Re: Virgil Donati and band at NAMM

Yowza. Virgil's got some chops for sure!! Those high rack toms make for a super cool visual, thanks for posting this man!

There's two comments that kill me that someone near the camerman says. "He has his eyes closed!" and "Sweeping on drums!". Good times. ;-)

If you want to see Virgil REALLY tear it up, buy Steve Vai's "Live At Astoria"...he does this freaking INSANE solo....towards the end he does this thing where he's spinning stick and hitting cymbals and playing a jungle-esque tom beat...probably the coolest visual thing I've ever seen in a drum solo.

Thanks for posting that new clip. Always great to see new Donati footage. Words can never describe his playing, and man those drums sounded thunderous. Anyone get to witness this performance first hand?

Re: Check out Virgil

The sound quality is so bad it's almost unwatchable. And the poor guy looks like he's in a cage!

Anduin said:
The sound quality is so bad it's almost unwatchable. And the poor guy looks like he's in a cage!

There almost seems to be some kind of netagivity about Virgil on this board. The sound quality is fine to me

Yes that audio is way over-compressed.. Horrible. But then again, what drum websites actually have well designed and cutting edge web design?

As for the negativity, I used to see it on other threads. Here, I guess its just a matter of taste? I have only seen what few clips are on here to judge. Based on that one, he's obviously skilled. Maybe it's those toms way up in the air that put people in defense mode (kinda gimmicky, don't you think?).

That polyrhythm stuff he does near the 1/3rd mark of the vid is cool (with the constant bass drum pattern, then he changes his hand patterns to demonstrate the different polyrhythmic feels possible).

Back