Anybody else who doesn't care about the World Cup?

I was joking because I don't really care to follow it, but thanks haha. ;^)
It wasn't obvious - we do have people who don't bother to read the thread - so I'd say it wasn't to be perceived as joking. Telepathy?

Why are we wasting our time on something if we don't care for it? (*continues to cut his fingernails*)

According to RhymeZone, it could be a rhyme for ... anchor, anker, banker, canker, danker, hanker, manker, rancor, ranker, sanker, shanker, tanker.

That pretty well covers it :)

You missed the most obvious one.

Planker.

Shows how blinded we are by money in sport.

Yes there is a world cup in soccer / football (eer Larry American footy is largely "throwing the ball, same as the marority of rugby hence the derision re the name "football" we Aussies call the roundball game soccer as Aussie Rules is the " Footy" and Rugby is League or Union"

but there is 2 other "WORLD CUPS" being played

1/ world cup in hockey (field or proper hockey.... not this iceskating biffo sport) is just entering its finals (womens anyway, not sure about mens...that may still be in playoff stage)

2/ World cup in basketball.

As for toughness of US vs Rugby league....watch an All Blacks vs Springbocks game some time.

Or an Aussie Rules game....

As for "soccer" there should be an academy award section for the greatest "dive". From memory Jurgen Klinsmenn of the then West Germasny was the master !!

Yes Jeff. We are each of us the eyes and the ears of the universe and we each offer our own perspectives for better or worse, even grid iron sewing circles ;)

Yeah it's wrong but it's so right.... try it with a beer :)

Well, if I really like something, I'd rather do it myself instead of watching other people do it. For example, I've been a competitive distance runner for years. I very much enjoy the sport but I have minimal desire to turn on the TV and watch other people run.

I'm not saying people shouldn't, just that I don't understand the basic urge and I particularly don't understand the almost pathological zeal that some people express. To twist an old saying:

Those who can, do. Those who can't, watch it on TV!

As for "soccer" there should be an academy award section for the greatest "dive". From memory Jurgen Klinsmenn of the then West Germasny was the master !!
You would think our team would at least be decent at it then. We never get calls.

Well, if I really like something, I'd rather do it myself instead of watching other people do it. For example, I've been a competitive distance runner for years. I very much enjoy the sport but I have minimal desire to turn on the TV and watch other people run.

I'm not saying people shouldn't, just that I don't understand the basic urge and I particularly don't understand the almost pathological zeal that some people express. To twist an old saying:

I never watched my sport on TV, even when I was physically capable of doing it. It's boring. Granted I'd rather watch it on TV than go do it and tear my shoulder again. (Years of improper training catches up eventually.)

On the subject of Rugby Union, Wales are currently being thrashed by the 'Boks, so I hereby declare it a Frightfully Silly Game >:|

I'm a hockey fan, first and foremost. I think association football is a beautiful game. There's too much diving, but I still enjoy it. European hockey players do still get a bad rap in parts of Canada and the U.S. for diving and not being willing to fight, but that's changing.

Rugby is a beast of a game. I love it. I don't understand it completely, but I love watching it. Those athletes are as tough as anyone in any sport.

American football is brutal. Most players have trouble walking by the time they're 40. The concussions and associated mental health issues have led to over 4,000 lawsuits being filed by former players against the NFL. Former players who appeared young and healthy are committing suicide at an alarming rate. One wonders how long before the game changes significantly as a response.

My favourite was taking out a winger in full flight down the touch line with a twenty yard run-up.

I played one game in school, picked as a prop. I can't remember the coach ever really doing any work on scrums in training so none of the front row had much of a clue. During, the game the ref soon changed it to uncontested scrums. Disaster.

Those who can also watch sport in large numbers. As well as those who don't. Personally, I wouldn't view distance running as a great spectator sport and it's not represented on TV as much as popular team games as a result.

There's a big emotional buzz involved in watching sport and the highs and the lows that come with following it. Doesn't even have to be a local team or your own country you're watching. It can be highly enjoyable watching the best of the best go compete against each other.

Larry, if you're ever in the UK at the right time, I'll take you to a Rugby match and explain what's going on.
That would be fantastic, Duncan. I would love that. Having never been to London, it is certainly on my bucket list. You could show me around there as well!

Back