Gavin Harrison here!

Gavin,

A question about the opening bars of Identitas. I've read that you stated it's a 27 note grouping. Which could be split however you choose. Do you maintain a steady (3) bars of 9/8 for each set? I've been listening very carefully to count the notes, and was wondering if you include the 3 hi-hat *chicks* with the left foot during the (4 notes on the tom, 1 accent on the snare) part. I'd try to transcribe it, but you saw my last attempt with What Happens Now, and I don't feel like making a fool of myself again. HAHA

Final question: What would you estimate the value of your drums (shells, hardware, cymbals, cymbal stands) to be worth? If I ever came into a large sum of money, I would love a replica of your Sonor kit, w/cymbals. I do understand that some of the cymbals you use would be difficult to replace (i.e. -- 1980's zildjian k ride).

Thanks for your time Gavin
Eric

Final question: What would you estimate the value of your drums (shells, hardware, cymbals, cymbal stands) to be worth? If I ever came into a large sum of money, I would love a replica of your Sonor kit, w/cymbals. I do understand that some of the cymbals you use would be difficult to replace (i.e. -- 1980's zildjian k ride).

If you only refer the stuff that you see him using live (or the list from wikipedia) than that would be:

Shells:
8x7" Rack Tom (Medium Shell)
10x8" Rack Tom (Medium Shell)
12x9" Rack Tom (Medium Shell)
15x13" Floor Tom (Medium Shell)
18x15" Floor Tom (Medium Shell)
22x15" Bass Drum (Heavy Shell)
That would make 4298,26 EUR

Cymbals:
16" Oriental China Trash
13" K Hi-Hats
18" K Custom Crash
15" A Custom Crash
20" K Ride
18" K Custom Crash
12" Oriental China Trash
18" Z Custom China
~ 2200€

Hardware:
Pearl DR503 Rack
9x Sonor Cymbal Arms (600 series)
Hihat Stand
Speed cobra

In total: 7961€

Hello .
What happended to the site askgavinharrison.com
i got answers of some of my questions there .

now my question is what is the time signature and snare accs in "what happens now" after e-guitar pattern and befor 3/4 rhythm ( At Live in DVD ) . you know which polyrhythmic i mean , if you dont i will post exactly the address by Seconds.

Best Regards .

Elyar Khosravi.

Gavin,

What brand In-Ear Monitors do you use?

What brand(s) do you recommend?

Any other tips/advice when I am looking to purchase In-Ear Monitors for the first time?

Thanks you Gavin!

Gavin,

What brand In-Ear Monitors do you use?

What brand(s) do you recommend?

Any other tips/advice when I am looking to purchase In-Ear Monitors for the first time?

Thanks you Gavin!

From 2-07-2012:

Hi allanthomas

Silly question but still can you tell me which headphones you use..??
Does anyone know any good make headphones for drums specifically with good isolation??

when I'm playing at home in my studio I'm using my Ultimate Ears UE10s with a pair of maximum isolation shooting muffs over the top of those. On stage I use Sensaphonics 3D Ambient 'in ears'

--- Gavin has pretty much exhaustively answered questions regarding his equipment; try the "search this thread" function.

From 2-07-2012:

Hi allanthomas

Silly question but still can you tell me which headphones you use..??
Does anyone know any good make headphones for drums specifically with good isolation??

when I'm playing at home in my studio I'm using my Ultimate Ears UE10s with a pair of maximum isolation shooting muffs over the top of those. On stage I use Sensaphonics 3D Ambient 'in ears'

--- Gavin has pretty much exhaustively answered questions regarding his equipment; try the "search this thread" function.

Thanks for the info. I was looking for askgavinharrison.com, but it doesn't exist anymore, I was sure it would be answered there.

I searched the thread and couldnt find any answer the the last question.

Gavin, please feel free to answer this question if you wish: Any other tips/advice when I am looking to purchase In-Ear Monitors for the first time?

Hello .
What happended to the site askgavinharrison.com
i got answers of some of my questions there .

now my question is what is the time signature and snare accs in "what happens now" after e-guitar pattern and befor 3/4 rhythm ( At Live in DVD ) . you know which polyrhythmic i mean , if you dont i will post exactly the address by Seconds.

Best Regards .

Elyar Khosravi.

The middle section of what happens now goes as follows:
The guitar (same riff as anesthesize) is in 5/8.
Gavin plays 7/8 between the bass/snare with a 3/16ths (or dotted 8th) on the ride.
The bassist plays 7 along with Gavin.
After many bars of that, they all slip into 12/8 (or 4/4 in triplets).
I can't tell you the exact placement of the snare accents..
hope this helps

The middle section of what happens now goes as follows:
The guitar (same riff as anesthesize) is in 5/8.
Gavin plays 7/8 between the bass/snare with a 3/16ths (or dotted 8th) on the ride.
The bassist plays 7 along with Gavin.
After many bars of that, they all slip into 12/8 (or 4/4 in triplets).
I can't tell you the exact placement of the snare accents..
hope this helps

Thanks Euphoric_Anomaly for the answer. how you sure about time signature , i'll concentrate on it. if you are not sure please tell me, or if you connected with G.H tell me i have some more question :) thnx.

Thanks Euphoric_Anomaly for the answer. how you sure about time signature , i'll concentrate on it. if you are not sure please tell me, or if you connected with G.H tell me i have some more question :) thnx.

No problem man. I've read the same question you had before, and Gavin's response to it. I'm too lazy to hunt down the exact thread, but I was going from Gavin's response. I myself wouldn't have been able to figure it out. lol

Hi Gavin!

My question is about how drum placement can/could/should affect tuning.
I just bought a new Saturn IV (Trans Ash Burl Burst finish), which has 2 rack toms and 2 floor toms. But I'm considering placing the smaller floor tom to my left, next to the hi-hat. This way my hands would be free to use floor toms and rack toms and the snare without crossing over or having to turn too much to the right. But would it affect how I should tune them? Because the tune-difference would be quite big between the 12" rack and the 16" floor in case of a "tom run-down" (like 10"->12"->16"). Or is this not an issue? I know that this too is personal preference, but is there a proven fault in retuning them, or leaving the tuning as it is, or something? I'm probably not the only one who's thinking about placing toms like this, and I was hoping that you or someone you know tried this once and knows the pros and cons of this placement/idea.

Thank you in advance!
Cheers,
Matthew

Last edited:
Hey Gavin, just wanted to say I finally received my 12x5 premium protean package today here in Northern Ireland! It is a fine instrument and so well thought out and meticulously manufactured. It is joy to play and I'm already thinking I can actually use it as my main snare in a lot of situations (like church etc.) Thanks again for designing a fantastic drum and not just a cheap drum with your name slapped on it.

Also, would love to have you and 05Ric in Ireland in the near future!

Nigel

Hi Gavin!

I just bought a new Saturn IV (Trans Ash Burl Burst finish), which has 2 rack toms and 2 floor toms. But I'm considering placing the smaller floor tom to my left, next to the hi-hat. This way my hands would be free to use floor toms and rack toms and the snare without crossing over or having to turn too much to the right. But would it affect how I should tune them? Because the tune-difference would be quite big between the 12" rack and the 16" floor in case of a "tom run-down" (like 10"->12"->16"). Or is this not an issue? I know that this too is personal preference, but is there a proven fault in retuning them, or leaving the tuning as it is, or something? I'm probably not the only one who's thinking about placing toms like this, and I was hoping that you or someone you know tried this once and knows the pros and cons of this placement/idea.

Thank you in advance!
Cheers,
Matthew

Hey, you'll get more answers posting this in the "Drums" forum for instance. Well, I have a similar setup myself, except the "gap" is from a 10" to a 14". Both are tuned D, but an octave apart. Regardless of your setup, tune the drums to where they sound the best by themselves, while still blending well with the others.

Hi, Gavin!
As you told before you set footboards on your pedals at -18.3 degree. I've tried to use this settings on my Speed Cobra and noticed that footboard doesn't touch the cobra coil while i play. And i wonder if you use cobra coil in your pedals?

Last edited:
Hi Gavin. Just wanted to wish you all the best for the workshop in Portsmouth on Friday. Looking forward to seeing you there!

Hey Gavin

You were awesome in Portsmouth yesterday. Was gonna ask about that fill in Fear of a Blank Planet, but then you explained it. I was also gonna ask about Slippin Away, but you explained that too! :) Just on thing; the five stroke sticking you explained... is that what you call a Blushda? As I use it a lot, but have seen others swapping the drag part of it around.

All the best

Sam (guy who was wearing a black cap)

Hi anokus

1. When you play drums with other musicians, what do you listen to? Do you listen to each instruments individually or listen to all of them together? What should a drummer/percussionist listen to while playing music with others?

I listen to everyone - unless I think they have a poor sense of time that it's going to annoy me. Sometimes I might take out things out of my headphones like keyboard pads, strings and choirs or sound textures that are filling up the mix and aren't going to help me play the song.

2. Can you suggest some methods/techniques to improve the sense of time? By the sense of time I mean keeping the groove in the pocket and knowing when the tempo is fluctuating.

Ultimately if you want to get good at 'timing' you've got to get good at listening. Recognise when things maybe out of sync between your hands and feet and practise to very slow clicks. 30 - 40 bpm.

3. When playing solos/long fills how do you keep track of the ONE? Do you count the beats simultaneously in your head?

I never count when I play. I have a 'sense' of where '1' is probably from practising to records over the years. Develop a good sense of syncopation and you won't get lost.

4. How do you come up with new ideas of grooves and fills?

I do a lot of improvising - and anything I stumble across that I like the sound of - I either write out or film it on my little Zoom Q3HD.

Hi HutchinsonDrummer

I've been fortunate enough to do a few tours of the US so far with my own band. We do not have any type of label support, so everything we do, we do out-of-pocket ourselves. We're not necessarily looking to get onto a label, but we're amazed at the number of other bands who are more "radio friendly" than us get picked up by labels. Being in PT yourself, a band that is also not necessarily "radio friendly", how did getting onto to bigger labels like RoadRunner even happen? I'm not looking for advice, and i'm definitely not looking for handouts/ways to get onto a label. I'm just curious as to what the story is behind PT and maybe some other bands you've sessioned on.

Before we signed to Roadrunner we were signed to Warner Bros (Lava) in the States. The albums sold well - so it was an easy choice for Roadrunner to invite us to go with them. Not that much of a risk for them. Before Warner's the band was with Snapper records and the records sold relatively well too - so it was a logical step.

Hi humberto

Did You have some plans go start a tour(with PT or 05ric) in America(especially south america of course)???

Not at the moment.

Hi Croc

I just received a 12 x 5 Sonor GH Protean snare drum. What a beautiful little beast it is and the sound is incredible! Thanks to you and Sonor for collaborating on such a well thought through product.

Great - I'm glad you like it.

I am in the process of buying cymbals for my new acoustic kit (coming back from electronic drums) and I am weighing my options. I note you play 13” hi-hats while the trend seems to be going towards larger diameters. For the types of music you play, what do the 13” hats do better than other sizes?

I chose those K 13" Hi Hats because I wanted quieter hi hats. It's one of those instruments that get all over the mics. I really like the sound of them and they are very versatile - but I also play 14" K Constantinople too - a very different sound but I love the sound of them.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

A question about the opening bars of Identitas. I've read that you stated it's a 27 note grouping. Which could be split however you choose. Do you maintain a steady (3) bars of 9/8 for each set? I've been listening very carefully to count the notes, and was wondering if you include the 3 hi-hat *chicks* with the left foot during the (4 notes on the tom, 1 accent on the snare) part. I'd try to transcribe it, but you saw my last attempt with What Happens Now, and I don't feel like making a fool of myself again.

I don't maintain a steady 9 through the opening bars. I just hear that pattern melodically and follow the twisted logic of the sticking and arm movement. I haven't transcribed it - (I'm sure Terry Branam would make an excellent job of it).

Hi Elyar Khosravi

now my question is what is the time signature and snare accs in "what happens now" after e-guitar pattern and befor 3/4 rhythm ( At Live in DVD )

I'm pretty sure there's been a transcription of that rhythm somewhere on this thread. Anyway euphoric_anomaly got it right "7/8 between the bass/snare with a 3/16ths (or dotted 8th) on the ride".

Hi szokematyi

I just bought a new Saturn IV (Trans Ash Burl Burst finish), which has 2 rack toms and 2 floor toms. But I'm considering placing the smaller floor tom to my left, next to the hi-hat. This way my hands would be free to use floor toms and rack toms and the snare without crossing over or having to turn too much to the right. But would it affect how I should tune them? Because the tune-difference would be quite big between the 12" rack and the 16" floor in case of a "tom run-down" (like 10"->12"->16").

I would tune them however you want - who cares about "tom run-downs"?

Hi Nige86

just wanted to say I finally received my 12x5 premium protean package today here in Northern Ireland! It is a fine instrument and so well thought out and meticulously manufactured. It is joy to play and I'm already thinking I can actually use it as my main snare in a lot of situations (like church etc.) Thanks again for designing a fantastic drum and not just a cheap drum with your name slapped on it.

Thanks - I'm glad you like the design of it. It's a 'no-compromise' snare drum. I'm going to play these two snares for a very long time so they had to be just right.

Hi Dustondrums

As you told before you set footboards on your pedals at -18.3 degree. I've tried to use this settings on my Speed Cobra and noticed that footboard doesn't touch the cobra coil while i play. And i wonder if you use cobra coil in your pedals?

It depends if you have the cobra coil set back or forwards. On the right pedal I don't really use it (and it's set fully forwards). On the left pedal I have it set fully back so it is being used.

Hi Sam Sanders

Just on thing; the five stroke sticking you explained... is that what you call a Blushda? As I use it a lot, but have seen others swapping the drag part of it around.

It's not what is called a 'blushda'. However there is a RLRRL sticking there but they are not played as 5 equal notes in a blushda.

cheers
Gavin

How are the new snares going Gavin? I hope they're proving popular, they deserve to be. It's rare for a drum to be designed such that the features are all working towards a coherent "real world" result.

I don't maintain a steady 9 through the opening bars. I just hear that pattern melodically and follow the twisted logic of the sticking and arm movement. I haven't transcribed it - (I'm sure Terry Branam would make an excellent job of it).

Well, here's an attempt at the "Identitas" pattern. Now the real question is: where does Gavin actually hear these subdivisions? Hope this is in the right ballpark...

identiassample.jpg

Terry

Last edited:
Hi Gavin!

Thanks for the very enjoyable and entertaining clinic in Rotterdam! I had a very good laugh that evening, your impersonation of the Shaggs was spot on and very convincing (which I find actually pretty hard to do myself).

Very nice to hear some of the other big band arrangements. Laurence did an amazing job arranging these songs. Any idea when the full album comes out? Looking forward to hear that in surround!

A more "production minded" question: did you try to use parallel chains when mixing your drums (for example parallel compression as opposed to direct compression) and if so, did you like it?

Cheers,
Santi

Back