What ever happened to music...

Some type of music is falling into decadence, other music way too commercial and shallow...just quite few bands are making it different and balanced at the present.

I think you've got it. There are good bands out there, it's just a matter of weeding out the less serious ones before you get to them.

What happened is that you can access everything everywhere, thus increasing the time you're exposed to music, especially pop-music. Pop has never been about the music, but the sales and popularity.

The thing is, everyone and their mother can make and put out music. Your job is to filter what you like and don't like.

I almost never listen to the radio or watch TV anymore. I can get everything on my computer and internet.

If people complain about todays music, they have themselves to blame, since no one is forcing you to listen to the overproduced garbage that is modern pop-music(to some).
Turn off the radio/tv, sign into Spotify, youtube, myspace or even internet radio. You will find stations that play the music that you like.

Thaard: Couldn't have put it better myself.

What happened is that you can access everything everywhere, thus increasing the time you're exposed to music, especially pop-music. Pop has never been about the music, but the sales and popularity.

The thing is, everyone and their mother can make and put out music. Your job is to filter what you like and don't like.

I almost never listen to the radio or watch TV anymore. I can get everything on my computer and internet.

If people complain about todays music, they have themselves to blame, since no one is forcing you to listen to the overproduced garbage that is modern pop-music(to some).
Turn off the radio/tv, sign into Spotify, youtube, myspace or even internet radio. You will find stations that play the music that you like.

Thaard for the win.

Many thumbs up.

Metal has more so-called 'sub genres' than all the other genres of music put together. Metal guy's (in my experience) are also the most likely to limit their intake of music to just metal, and a few other random bands. Why limit yourself? Its all good.

The sub-genres are silly, people saying things like,

"Dude, have you heard Necrofascistanalhunger? Totally rad. I'm going to spend the next year doing nothing but learning to how play double bass at 500 bpm."

"No, never heard of them. What are they like?"

"They're heavily influenced by Descended Testicle and Vomit Bath. Total Viking doomcore black math speedsludge thrash."

The sub-genres are silly, people saying things like,

"Dude, have you heard Necrofascistanalhunger? Totally rad. I'm going to spend the next year doing nothing but learning to how play double bass at 500 bpm."

"No, never heard of them. What are they like?"

"They're heavily influenced by Descended Testicle and Vomit Bath. Total Viking doomcore black math speedsludge thrash."

lol. Reminds me of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arHnr691xyU

Radio music is dead, except for a few community radios, here and there.
A waste of *public* radio frequencies, a pet peeve of mine.
I am lucky I have access to a local community radio (streams too -pm for info!).

There is something to be said for *local* live music, across genres and styles.
Well done <insert genre here> is a lot of fun, and you can chat up the musicians afterwards, buy a CD, inquire about the next gig, run into DJs from above-mentioned community radios!

Just to clarify: I didn't say there isn't any good music to be found. I'm saying all forms of popular American music are basically over and It's time for a completely new form of music to appear on the face of the earth. If you think about it and really be honest with yourself, you'll see what I mean.

Just to clarify: I didn't say there isn't any good music to be found. I'm saying all forms of popular American music are basically over and It's time for a completely new form of music to appear on the face of the earth. If you think about it and really be honest with yourself, you'll see what I mean.
Man, I just can't get on board with that. But I guess I don't quite get what you're classifying as "popular American music" since most music these days comes from just about everywhere (granted, English speaking countries for the most part, but not always)

I listen to quite a bit of "pop" music that is really great, although the vast majority of it has yet to make a dent in the pop culture - yet.

At the moment I'm listening to The Naked And Famous, who are from New Zealand, but could just as easily be from New York or Portland, Oregon. I "discovered" this band because of a single they have occasionally playing on my local big radio station. I thought it was a catchy tune so I stream their whole record on Rhapsody and it's really great; they're very talented songwriters.

TV On The Radio is another. They're from Brooklyn and while I don't think I've ever heard them on the radio, they have been on Letterman a few times. Speaking of Letterman, I'd never heard of At The Drive In until I saw them on his show, which led me to The Mars Volta, which I've never heard on the radio.

There are so many ways to come across new music that I like that sounds new and fresh to my ears. I'm 44 and I don't spend much time at all listening to classic rock or '90s alternative because it isn't new to me anymore.

I guess I get bored easily, and I'm okay with that.

I don't think the musicians or the instruments get better, They get proceesed more. There are too many singers or actors that wouldn't make it past week two of American Idol or is it Idle. I'll take a live recording of any band before a studio album any day. Five instruments---do you really need 64 tracks to record on. Give me a break. The Beatles did it on 4 or 5 or 8 and still outsell the phonys of today.Only one band today had the proper name and that is Garbage. Where it all belongs. In fact they need a new genre for all music past 1990, called Garbage.

I agree and disagree .. autotune used to replace a missed note here and there is time and money efficient studio wise .. but using it to have note epilepsy is dumb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtZfW2z9dw .. amazing that the dude in that vid isn't making millions .. and he was just some dude interviewed on the news and someone else threw in a drum beat and autotuned it .. and r-tards think its amazing music .. asking if they can buy it on itunes?!?!?!? WTF.

over-digital recording is fine for basement studio projects being that the equipment is cheaper and it's easier to do it on your own, but pro level studios should be a bit better than that..

american idle? .. sounds about right .. what about televised american kareoke contest .. no one is important in a band but the singer right? why are we all wasting our time playing stupid instruments? .. where's american drummer, american band, american guitarist.. i'd actually check out a show about forming a band .. a few episodes auditioning various instruments then putting it all together..

. the beatles thing is irritating. I really don't see the genius .. sometimes i feel i'm the only musician who gets nothing at all from the beatles .. maybe if I had a huge bag of weed then listened to them i'd get it

and lastly .. not all music past the 90's is complete and utter crap .. top 40 radio is!. 99% of bands worth listening to will never get radio play

Man, I just can't get on board with that. But I guess I don't quite get what you're classifying as "popular American music" since most music these days comes from just about everywhere (granted, English speaking countries for the most part, but not always)

I listen to quite a bit of "pop" music that is really great, although the vast majority of it has yet to make a dent in the pop culture - yet.

At the moment I'm listening to The Naked And Famous, who are from New Zealand, but could just as easily be from New York or Portland, Oregon. I "discovered" this band because of a single they have occasionally playing on my local big radio station. I thought it was a catchy tune so I stream their whole record on Rhapsody and it's really great; they're very talented songwriters.

TV On The Radio is another. They're from Brooklyn and while I don't think I've ever heard them on the radio, they have been on Letterman a few times. Speaking of Letterman, I'd never heard of At The Drive In until I saw them on his show, which led me to The Mars Volta, which I've never heard on the radio.

There are so many ways to come across new music that I like that sounds new and fresh to my ears. I'm 44 and I don't spend much time at all listening to classic rock or '90s alternative because it isn't new to me anymore.

I guess I get bored easily, and I'm okay with that.

I'm your same age. What I mean by "American Popular Music" is music who's roots come from New Orleans because of the slave trade,and music that grew out of European cultures but was born here - blues,jazz,country,rock, rap,gospel- and all of their derivatives have stood up,introduced themselves,said what they had to say...over. Now what we see is people trying to replicate those things in some way because that's what they think they're supposed to do. You can see and hear the weakness of it.

I do see some people here and there experimenting and pushing to search for a new sound,and that's good,very good, but I recognize it as experimentation and not the introduction of a new form of music. Yet.

yes and no ... you are forced to listen to it ... go to a grocery store, convienence store, mall, gas station, bars (until I get up to the jukebox and scare the poptarts away ) ... whats playing?

the answer is...
TOP 40 POP

it's shoved down our throats

I'm your same age. What I mean by "American Popular Music" is music who's roots come from New Orleans because of the slave trade,and music that grew out of European cultures but was born here - blues,jazz,country,rock, rap,gospel- and all of their derivatives have stood up,introduced themselves,said what they had to say...over. Now what we see is people trying to replicate those things in some way because that's what they think they're supposed to do. You can see and hear the weakness of it.

I do see some people here and there experimenting and pushing to search for a new sound,and that's good,very good, but I recognize it as experimentation and not the introduction of a new form of music. Yet.
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I'm not one for traditional forms much, but it gets tricky to tell when experimenting turns into a bona fide new form. I guess that's for others to decide? I'm a sucker for a catchy melody, though, but that may be too traditional of an idea to be considered a new form. I don't know.

Going back to the '80s and '90s, I remember listening to Einsturzende Neubauten, Laibach, and Throbbing Gristle and other "bands" like that thinking that they were doing something completely new, and they were, but while cool, ominous and scary, it wasn't exactly melodic most of the time. Young Gods did pretty well working in a lot of those new noises and approaches, but there was still a song structure there most of the time.

yes and no ... you are forced to listen to it ... go to a grocery store, convienence store, mall, gas station, bars (until I get up to the jukebox and scare the poptarts away ) ... whats playing?

the answer is...
TOP 40 POP

it's shoved down our throats

The answer to all your problems. Noise-canceling headphones and an mp3 player.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I'm not one for traditional forms much, but it gets tricky to tell when experimenting turns into a bona fide new form. I guess that's for others to decide? I'm a sucker for a catchy melody, though, but that may be too traditional of an idea to be considered a new form. I don't know.

Going back to the '80s and '90s, I remember listening to Einsturzende Neubauten, Laibach, and Throbbing Gristle and other "bands" like that thinking that they were doing something completely new, and they were, but while cool, ominous and scary, it wasn't exactly melodic most of the time. Young Gods did pretty well working in a lot of those new noises and approaches, but there was still a song structure there most of the time.

Before There was Jazz, there was no Jazz. Before there was Rock (n Roll) there was no Rock n roll. Same thing with disco, same with Rap. When you go from dry to soaking wet
or from not on fire to being on fire,there ain't no "decision" about it, because there's no question whats happening. When whatever the next new form of music appears,there won't be any "decisions" because all will know. Pretty exciting actually.

. the beatles thing is irritating. I really don't see the genius .. sometimes i feel i'm the only musician who gets nothing at all from the beatles .. maybe if I had a huge bag of weed then listened to them i'd get it

... and then try these tracks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Zf1Q5hW8o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Q9D4dcYng

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a3NcwfOBzQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9s1I1TZqJg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yNcE8c3j2M

Remember it's about what they were doing considering what had come before. They changed the game completely.

Thanks man! I appreciate your feedback. Music is a cycle - you try to keep it but it comes and goes...either good or bad, old or new or fancy...that's music!

I think you've got it. There are good bands out there, it's just a matter of weeding out the less serious ones before you get to them.

Back