Evans EC Resonant

Sparkman

I will be getting the Aquarian studio X batter heads soon. I was thinking for the the EC Resonant for the reso. I was wondering as the studio X heads already have built in mufflers and so do the EC resos. Would dampinging rings on batter and reso make it sound too dead or choked?

EDIT: This head combo will be for toms.

Last edited:
Would dampinging rings on batter and reso make it sound too dead or choked?

You didn't specify but I'm assuming you're using this head combo for toms; There's no reason why pre-muffled heads on top and bottom shouldn't sound good; Don Alias got a good tom sound by using clear Pinstripes this way when he was playing with Joni Mitchell in 1979-1980-ish. The drums will sound like they were recorded in a studio in the 1970's: very dry and dark, with a "thumpy" attack. Personally, I like to start with the drum wide open and add muffling as I see fit; normally I use a coated Remo Emperor on top and a clear Ambassador on bottom. You can take away resonance from a drum, but you can't add it if your heads are heavily muffled to begin with.

There's no reason why pre-muffled heads on top and bottom shouldn't sound good; Don Alias got a good tom sound by using clear Pinstripes this way when he was playing with Joni Mitchell in 1979-1980-ish. The drums will sound like they were recorded in a studio in the 1970's: very dry and dark, with a "thumpy" attack. Personally, I like to start with the drum wide open and add muffling as I see fit; normally I use a coated Remo Emperor on top and a clear Ambassador on bottom. You can take away resonance from a drum, but you can't add it if your heads are heavily muffled to begin with.

I don't want too much resonance. I want it so I hit the drum head and it dies away fairly quickly. So should I keep the EC reso or should I go with something like Evans G1 clear on the reso?

If you don't want a lot of sustain just increase the pitch of your reso head until you are happy.

Right now I have still have the stock heads on my set and they sound HORRIBLE. So no matter what, I really just need new heads.

I have ec2 batter's over g1 reso's on my 12" and 16" toms, and I took some evans e-rings and cut them down to about 1/2". Gives them a really nice "thud" sound, and to me, has the right about of sustain. Sounds about what your looking for.

I am using EC Reso's with Coated EC2 Batter's and I love the sound!

Yep, I cut with scissors. I took my time and tried to get it even all around. It turned out very good actually.. I'd love to let them sing, but the acoustics in the room suck.

Yep, I cut with scissors. I took my time and tried to get it even all around.

Did you pencil it out and then cut or did you just start cutting? Did you cut it from the outside or from the inside?

Cut from the inside, as the outside diameter is the diameter fit for your drum. I just cut it, mine are clear.

Back