Dogs & Drums

I was wondering if any of you musicians have dogs in your homes and if any problem arise when your playing
I'm in the process of adopting a Border Collie or Brittany pup and am wondering how they will react to my kit
I have a cat and she scurries upstairs as soon as i approach the kit i wonder if the dog will do the same?

I have 3 dogs and 2 cats. The cats just go in the other room when I okay. They are very curious about them.

My dogs don't like to be near them when I play, but they don't mind my playing all that much. It's nothing like fireworks. In the summer when fireworks go off, even the ones launched 3 miles away, they whine and growl. They hate those.

We've had 4 dogs, and for some reason, they seem to come towards me when I play! One of them used to sing along (I'll guess that the harmonics of the ride & crash hurt her ears...)

But, I'm pretty sure the volume isn't good for animals, I wouldn't make it a habit of locking them in the room while you practice.

You can acclimate the new pet by playing quietly, and gauging the reaction. Then just act accordingly during future practices.

Bermuda

My drums are in a studio room, separate from the rest of the house, and the dogs rarely, if ever, even want to go into the studio itself.

The dog is not a fan. She just sits at the other end of the room and gives me reproachful stares.

She's better than with the didgeridoo. The second I start playing she goes nuts, barking and attacking the end. I can't even imagine what her issue with it is because she was like that from day one.

My cat likes to come in the room when I play. It also has a bad habit of chewing my Slapklatz (similar to Moongel).

GJS

My dog (a border terrier) joins in, singing along to the drums. I hear him from the cellar sometimes. Usually he does it at the beginning of my practice then seems to get bored and wanders off. The funniest times have been when we've had band practice at my house and he's spontaneously started singing along to the full band. He also sings along to some tunes on CD/in the car etc. He's a big reggae fan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUM0olgmdWo&list=UUYkbw13kYiVOnCVRQDIn7kw&index=4&feature=plcp

When I play, my dog will almost always lay down and go to sleep with her head directly under the snare or the floor tom.

I don't see how she can stand all the noise down there. When I'm playing at full volume, I wear headphones and feel weird about her being so close. I usually make her move across the room. Can't be good for her ears, but she doesn't seem to mind one bit.

My cats are fascinated by my "drum room" (back of the house bedroom) Although I think its mostly due to the fact they are not usually allowed in there... (closed door, MUST mean something interesting)

When they are in there, my one cat enjoys climbing through the port in the front bass drum head and lounging inside for a bit, which becomes problematic if I ever forget to check for him and start playing :-x

Otherwise they stay outside and tolerate it, I think me not being in the same room but being in the house and them not being able to be with me bothers them more than anything, spoiled little buggers...

My dog (a border terrier) joins in, singing along to the drums. I hear him from the cellar sometimes. Usually he does it at the beginning of my practice then seems to get bored and wanders off. The funniest times have been when we've had band practice at my house and he's spontaneously started singing along to the full band. He also sings along to some tunes on CD/in the car etc. He's a big reggae fan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUM0olgmdWo&list=UUYkbw13kYiVOnCVRQDIn7kw&index=4&feature=plcp

Liebe, that was hilarious. But you are wrong that he's a big reggae fan. See I speak dog and what he's really saying is that Ringo would have been the better drummer for this song, hence the cries. How can you not hear that?

My dogs prefer the actual drum sound. They hate cymbals!

We used to have a dog. She would come right up to me and try to get in my lap when I played. The rest of the time she would bark and run around the house. I'm sure it's something to do with the cymbal sounds.

My dog doesn't like the drums. when we first got her she would run down with me run between the stands sniff the bass drum beater then take off. Now she won't even go into the basement. She doesn't bark or anything when I play but I know she doesn't really like them.

As long as I'm downstairs in the studio and our Lhasa Apsos is upstairs, there is no problem. If for some reason she's downstairs before I start, she hurries upstairs to seclusion. She also has panic attacks when it thunders, so she doesn't care for loud sounds or vibrations.

We had both a Shitzu and a Lhasa at the same time about ten years ago and they were pretty much the same way when it came to the drums.

Dennis

My dog does not like my mancave, where I have my drums. UNLESS I have food out there. Then she'll be there in a nanosecond, from any location in the house.

We have two dogs. Our Corgi doesn't even seem to notice when I play. Our Lab is simultaneously interested and afraid of the acoustic drums. He alternates between running in to checking out what the noise is and then running out in fright. He does this for the entire time I play.

However, the Lab LOVES when I play e-drums. He will come up and rest his head on my bass drum leg and just sit there while I play. I am always afraid I will hit him with a stick but I try my best not to.

I used to have a cat that loved drumsticks. Anytime he saw them he would do everything he could to get to them and switched between rolling them around on the floor and chewing on the tips. He was always mesmerized by the way they moved when I played. That was on an e-kit but when I brought acoustics into the house he didn't like the noise so he didn't watch me anymore.

I want to say he got himself into that shirt on his own; don't really remember. He was a real character. Had to give him away because my sister was allergic :(

Attachments

• 0712101055a.jpg
    0712101055a.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,550
Back