Carrying is killing my back, need help with cases/bags!

anson89

Cases are king and anything that makes your life easier. That is what I bought immediately after getting my kit, even before top quality cymbals.

Between all the band members and their family, there never is a shortage of road hands.

when i was backstage with Stellar Kart, Jordan had a roadcase that held everything..

it was awesome..

it was big..very big..but, 2 people could get it...

the bass drum was in one end, then a divider. then the snare/rack were in a space, then the floor tom was in a space, then a hardware space, then a cymbal space..

it was quite awesome i will say..
prolly expensive tho..

Alex

I have a couple of these: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/SKB-Midsized-Drum-Hardware-Case?sku=541767

They cost a little more, but they're durable and offer better protection than fabric bags. I also use a Rock-n-Roller cart. It works as a dolly or a four wheeler, and folds down for travel.

That Rock n Roller cart is great! I shoulda asked for one for xmas! Guess I'll have to buy it myself...

I will second the recommendation for the Rock & Roller - absolutely worth every penny. Very easy to get stuff around, you can carry a lot of stuff in one trip and it even makes hardware trips relatively easy. No need for custom (bulky, heavy) cases; and obviously the R&R has tons of uses beyond just moving drums from point A to point B. Mandatory.

If you are fast that standard bag set is the Stupid Deal of the Day at Musicians Friend. Go to homepage, click on Stupid deal of the day. 69.00

I use a trap case to carry my hardware, stick bag, and snare. I can certainly tell you, though, that it gets HEAVY really fast. I originally put all my hardware plus my cymbals in there, but that was way too heavy- probably 250 lbs. Now I put hardware enough for my small jazz setup in there, and have a duffle bag for the other 3 cymbal stands (and 2 clamps), and secondary snare stand should I need them. Cymbal bag just has to travel separately. It works because I don't have to carry the extra gear for the smaller gigs.

One more thing to consider. If you have one case for each drum, it's pretty easy to baby them. If you have a 150 lb multicase for all your drums, well, let's just say they'll be treated a bit more "hastily". Let's not even TALK about what to do when you run into stairs.

I've been wanting a rock n roller for YEARS, but can never do enough work to justify buying that over heads or a new cymbal or something... I used to use a dolly, but it couldn't fold down flat enough to fit in a tight car.

An inexpensive option is to get a plastic tub from Wal Mart and mount a luggage dolly to it. Those things are rated to like 150 pounds, and they fold down totally flat.

...and obviously the R&R has tons of uses beyond just moving drums from point A to point B. Mandatory.

Yeah. Like riding on it down a really steep hill. zooooooom! Just wear a helmet and knee and elbow pads and you're set for a thrilling adventure!

...just a joke, kids. Don't do that unless you have an ambulance at the bottom of the hill.

I good hand truck from a hardware store is a must.

And I use one of the coffin looking cases from XL percussion for hardware. It has wheels, and I don't have to break down my stands all the way, just fold the arms in.

Hi
I have found that it takes more energy to move in the gear,setup,breakdown and load out than playing 4 sets of music.
So, I did the following years ago....I play a killer 4 piece set(20" bass drum),3 cymbals and hi-hit us a monster kit. Good mikes..
Use a gear bag for hardware that has wheels! Look for help for stairs....Less is more!!!!!!
My goal other than playing is to get in and out of these gigs as fast as possible....Denis

Back