Where to get decent sound dampening

kicksare4ribs

I have been looking all over for some foam dampening material to surround my small drum room with. But that stuff is crazy expensive.

In order to cut down on the noise for now I used some cheap foam mattress covers from target ($40). It's certain no recording studio, but i don't need it to be. At least the ~ 1" of foam cut down the echo significantly.

But I am looking at the real stuff and it would be $100 for just 24 square feet. So just covering the bottom 4 foot perimeter would be $800!

Anyone have some cheap alternatives or tricks to make a small (basement) room sound decent, just for practice.

I want to short-circuit any possible pilings-on of respondents by clarifying: It appears you are not looking to soundproof the room (i.e. prevent sound from escaping it and bothering others)... from what I read the room is too echoey and slappy and you need the room to be a bit deader and more acoustically friendly.

One really economic approach is to check with flooring companies to see about remnants of carpet, carpet padding, floor padding, etc. they may have. In some cases you can get these leftovers for free or next to nothing. Even better if you have a friend or relative in such a business, he might have a truckload of that stuff that he was going to take to the dump tomorrow.

I agree, before all these expensive acoustic tiles and foams and such the movie theaters used carpet on the walls and heavy pleated drapes. I have seen people make them from old worn out boat sails as well.

I want to short-circuit any possible pilings-on of respondents by clarifying: It appears you are not looking to soundproof the room (i.e. prevent sound from escaping it and bothering others)... from what I read the room is too echoey and slappy and you need the room to be a bit deader and more acoustically friendly.

One really economic approach is to check with flooring companies to see about remnants of carpet, carpet padding, floor padding, etc. they may have. In some cases you can get these leftovers for free or next to nothing. Even better if you have a friend or relative in such a business, he might have a truckload of that stuff that he was going to take to the dump tomorrow.

I agree, before all these expensive acoustic tiles and foams and such the movie theaters used carpet on the walls and heavy pleated drapes. I have seen people make them from old worn out boat sails as well.

Right on! Thank you both.

Yes I am familiar with means of sound-proofing walls, but that is not the concern here. I will call some carpet stores to see what I can get my hands on!

Back