Mapex Saturn Floor Tom

It sounds good to me. Peace and goodwill.

Pete,

Kick$ a-$-$-! Just like mine. Next time hit it HARDER for the recording. NICE sound! Thanks!

Next time hit it like you mean it. You won't break it. :) Do you have a drum dial. I would be interested to know what numbers you are using. I have stock heads on my Saturn and I use 70 on top, and 67 on bottom. Yours still sounds a bit high to me.

Sticks...Yeah it is a lil on the high side of tuning. I did not use a drum dial to set it up initially but I do have one and checked each lug was averaging 75-76. Out of curiousity I dropped down the tuning only on the batter for now, not sure where it is on the drum dial but definitely lower.

Anyway...I made a new vid of me playing the floor tom along with my bass drum and 10" rack tom. I'll probably have to tweak the bass and lil rack now but you can get a better idea now of the floor tom with lower tuning and let me know what you think. Honestly, Ilike the higher tuning but like the lower tuning as well...If I had a drummer here to play my kit I could decide better from in front of the kit.

Here's the new Vid...nothing special and my playing lol is kind of blah but oh well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc9ZVYkHpvg

Thanks so far guys for your input.

I tune my batters just above wrinkles, the resos a little bit higher. I've yet to try the resos lower than the batters on these drums.

ok Sticks, i completely backed out all lugs since the low tuning you suggested had me almost there anyway and readjusted the batter hoop and head because it came jacked/not centered from the factory. I then finger tightened every lug bolt and to make sure there is no misunderstanding on what finger tight is, I mean that all bolts were tightened as tight as my fingers can get them. Then instead of proceeding to tighten with the drum key I decided lets see where my finger tightening reads on the drum dial and to my surprise it read an average of 72-73. My drum dial was zero'd out so everything was well there, I don't think a flabby head sounds good and my initial tuning on the first vid I posted was a hair or two over JAW, which was 76-ish.

Something is not right with your drum dial or my dial but finger tight on my lugs reads 72-73 on the DD.

If you listen to Gregg Bissonette's (which I'm sure you have) mapex saturn vid his 14" floor tom has a very nice tone to it. I can't imagine his floor tom is right at JAW, maybe a just a tiny bit higher?

In regards to your vid, I have seen it numerous times and while they sound sweet with your playing I'm not so sure if your tuning would fit my style. I did take your advice also on my 10 rack and lowered that a bit and I like it more now but my 14" floor tom with your advice went LIMP, LIMPOLLA, DOA, Arrivederci, Adios, you get my point? :)

So I'm a bit confused!!!!! LOL

ok Sticks, i completely backed out all lugs since the low tuning you suggested had me almost there anyway and readjusted the batter hoop and head because it came jacked/not centered from the factory. I then finger tightened every lug bolt and to make sure there is no misunderstanding on what finger tight is, I mean that all bolts were tightened as tight as my fingers can get them. Then instead of proceeding to tighten with the drum key I decided lets see where my finger tightening reads on the drum dial and to my surprise it read an average of 72-73. My drum dial was zero'd out so everything was well there, I don't think a flabby head sounds good and my initial tuning on the first vid I posted was a hair or two over JAW, which was 76-ish.

Something is not right with your drum dial or my dial but finger tight on my lugs reads 72-73 on the DD.

If you listen to Gregg Bissonette's (which I'm sure you have) mapex saturn vid his 14" floor tom has a very nice tone to it. I can't imagine his floor tom is right at JAW, maybe a just a tiny bit higher?

In regards to your vid, I have seen it numerous times and while they sound sweet with your playing I'm not so sure if your tuning would fit my style. I did take your advice also on my 10 rack and lowered that a bit and I like it more now but my 14" floor tom with your advice went LIMP, LIMPOLLA, DOA, Arrivederci, Adios, you get my point? :)

So I'm a bit confused!!!!! LOL
Thats weird. I go finger tip tight, and then half a key turn to get to 70 on my digital drum dial. Heads are not limp at all. No ripples either.

I will tell you what. Since our drum dials might be different. Get all your tension rods to finger tip tight. Then do a half a key turn on all your tension rods, on your top head. Then tune it. That is what gives me 70 on my dial.

I did that a while ago and much better but now. There must be something different with our DD's, your toms don't sound like crap at all just very low which is fine, so I'm sure you know what you're doing but I must say my 14" floor tom JAW is probably too high for your liking unless it's just differences in room acoustics that's just messing with us?

Back