• Ry Cooder
  • Richard Thompson
  • Simon & Garfunkel
  • Jerry Lee Lewis
  • The Pretenders
  • B B King
  • Oasis

Guess he must be ok ...

Drummers like Keltner seem to be the favorite of everyone except the other drummers.

He's one of those that makes your music shine, without shining the light on himself (unless you know what it's all about)...and makes the other musicians sound really good.

Other drummers with that quality would be Tony Thompson, Paul Leim, Jamie Oldaker, John Robinson, Burleigh Drummond, Curt Bisquera etc...
Drummers that make other musicians really want to play with them...and make them first call for producers ;o)

Fantastic drummer, surprised this thread is so quiet!!

I'm looking for some albums with Jim on them, what would some ideal recommendations be?

Fantastic drummer, surprised this thread is so quiet!!

I'm looking for some albums with Jim on them, what would some ideal recommendations be?

dude plays for the song....(and plays with everybody!)

off the top of my head,
early on:
Mad Dogs and Englishmen - Joe Cocker
All Things Must Pass - George Harrison
Concert for Bangladesh - George Harrison

also for some later, unique sounding drumming try:
Ry Cooder - My Name is Buddy

dude plays for the song....(and plays with everybody!)

off the top of my head,
early on:
Mad Dogs and Englishmen - Joe Cocker
All Things Must Pass - George Harrison
Concert for Bangladesh - George Harrison

also for some later, unique sounding drumming try:
Ry Cooder - My Name is Buddy

Thanks for the quick response, it seems I have some downloading to do!

Drummers like Keltner seem to be the favorite of everyone except the other drummers.

He's one of those that makes your music shine, without shining the light on himself (unless you know what it's all about)...and makes the other musicians sound really good.

Nicely said. I can't think of too many who play with his authority and calm. Agree with Gvda about Josie - I keep playing along and totally given up on getting his feel and many of the embellishments. Much harder than it sounds.

Keltner is a MONSTER !!! Awesome groove , inspired fills, fits the song not his ego. I've read there was a time when if you wanted to hire Ry Cooder, you had to hire Keltner too. Cooder wouldn't do the gig without him.

Check out some of his work with Keb Mo'.

Jim is superb, and tasteful. Met him at NAMM in 2008, and he was very charming. Funnily enough, there was an Italian gentleman who confused him for Ringo!!!! Jim did not say a word, not to take the piss but rather to not disappoint the guy.

This program has been dedicated to the unsung. Those who lie below the surface waiting for the phone to ring and the calendar to fill up.

It’s these unsung folks that made careers for the pop stars that most people are familiar with.

It’s a quarter past 10 and my guest is disassembling his kit for the 4th time that day. He had a commercial in the morning, a game show in the afternoon, a bluegrass record date and then playing jazz for free in Larry Gales coffee house with the Afro Blues Quintet…..

My guest today is one of the most versatile drummers in the world. He adapted to the changing musical landscape using his first love of jazz to swing into the melting pot of the psychedelic era. He’s been knocking on Heavens Door with Bob Dylan, female soul groups with Wilton Felder or burning gypsy music with Gabor Szabo. He was a Constant Pulse with John Klemmer and lives in the Material World with the late George Harrison while Ringo looks at the North Star peppering the high hat in the vaunted studio scene of LA. Soundtracks, Gospel, Funk, Folk, World, the Traveling Wilbury’s, Booker T Jones and John Lennon.

His impact on music is unquantifiable. How many albums did he swing the band on like Mickey Roker or Elvin Jones. He is the same master drumming discussion as Bernard Purdie, Earl Palmer, Bill Lavorgna and Hal Blaine.

I believe that my guests heart is full of love. He tries to fit into each musical setting as an accompanist just like Emil Richards and Victor Feldman, Henry Franklin and Hal Gordon. He’s not interested in showing off his monster chops because often times it’s the space within the music that helps it transcend to a spiritual language of the cosmos, dripping with the poetry of Levon Helm, Leon Russell and Elvis Presley all the while helping average people wash away the dust of everyday life.

Jim Keltner welcome to the JFS.

http://www.jakefeinbergshow.com/2014/08/jfs-186-the-jim-keltner-interview/

Fantastic groove drummer with a great feel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhCo8KP-_xE&NR

Some people's he's worked with:

• George Harrison
  • John Lennon
  • Ringo
  • Roy Orbison
  • Harry Nilsson
  • Jerry Garcia
  • Eric Clapton
  • Steely Dan
  • Joe Cocker
  • The Stones
  • Bob Dylan
  • Joni Mitchell
  • Brian Wilson
  • Seals and Crofts
  • Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
  • Fiona Apple
  • Elvis Costello
  • The Bee Gees
  • Jackson Browne
  • Ry Cooder
  • Pink Floyd
  • Rufus Wainwright
  • Tom Petty
  • Steve Miller Band
  • Alice Cooper
  • Carly Simon
  • Traveling Wilburys
  • JJ Cale
  • Ry Cooder
  • Richard Thompson
  • Simon & Garfunkel
  • Jerry Lee Lewis
  • The Pretenders
  • B B King
  • Oasis

Guess he must be ok ...

Rufus Wainright Lol. I'd say He worked with Keltner. Rufus still cannot play a full song on a guitar without making a mistake. I don't know how some quasi- folk artists fall thru the cracks because their parents are respected.

Could be why listening to his mother sing is like watching somebody pour a concrete driveway with sideline commentary by a dying cat. Percussion Perfectionists like Keltner should be bombing scrubs like Rufus at the cost of 20K per hour.

Back