Jeff Porcaro

My teacher just turned me on to Jeff's playing on "I Keep Forgetting" by Michael McDonald. Holy Moly!

My personal favorite Jeff tracks:

Gaucho - Steely Dan
Black Friday - Steely Dan
Doctor Wu - Steely Dan
Chain Lightning - Steely Dan
Your Gold Teeth II - Steely Dan
King of the World - Steely Dan (from a very rare live performance at the Record Plant in 1974, playing double drums with Jim Hodder. As Donald Fagen puts it, "COOKIN!")
Night by Night - Steely Dan
Parker's Band - Steel Dan (double drumming with Jim Gordon)
FM - Steely Dan
Lido Shuffle - Boz Scaggs
Lowdown - Boz Scaggs
Jojo - Boz Scaggs
Calling Elvis - Dire Straits
Heavy Fuel - Dire Straits
The Grind - Tommy Bolin
Homeward Strut - Tommy Bolin
Blues for Ronnie - Karizma (double drumming with Carlos Vega)
Space Glide - Lee Ritenour
Mother - Pink Floyd
Hold the Line - Toto
Rosanna - Toto
Girl Goodbye - Toto
Jake to the Bone - Toto

Georgy Porgy - intricate and precise, no unnecessary drum fills that others cannot help adding and muddying up the whole mess, when they try to play the song

Last edited:
Brian - Wiki discography shows My Own Way to Rock is Jeff P no? my band plays it and I always thought it was Jeff.

Found this Toto gig from 1991 on YT, Jeffs playing is amazing. Way better than the Paris 1990 DVD plus they do Jake To The Bone. That Polyrhythm he plays at the end 4 over 7 with that feel is just class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI2xDMw_r7U

We had a jam through Jake to the Bone last week funnily enough my mate did it for his recital about 11 years back, we got to the solo. I was proud of that!

I'd love to see what equipment he used on all those albums.

I love listening to him on Dire Straits' Heavy Fuel. Jeff lays an awesome groove to that song.

I dare you not to steering wheel drum to the set of fills at the end of the song. Not a bonified hit but this is regularly on my playlist for the drums alone.

Great thrift and he really creates a nice feel for the song. I think the best grooves are like a rolling egg instead of a rolling ball. This egg rolls slow and then those great tom fills. Jeffs the man.

Happy Birthday Jeff

some of Jeff's unsung work right here

you may not listen to this tune and say ... whoa, listen to that drumming ... but I do !!!

some of the best song drumming you will ever hear in your life right here

listen to Jeff just sit right in there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoXcRw9gJCA

I agree, such an economy of notes while playing the space and making it groove. And then, he integrates the toms into the mixture and that actually contributes to the song's identity. It wouldn't be the same tune without those fills and ornamentations.

Great thrift and he really creates a nice feel for the song. I think the best grooves are like a rolling egg instead of a rolling ball. This egg rolls slow and then those great tom fills. Jeffs the man.

Yes, this is a great example of that "rolling egg" metaphor (or simile?). Wish I were as good as executing that kind of thing while I'm playing as I am at noticing it when I'm listening. ;-)

Last edited:
So.. i play along with alot of random stuff on youtube at night.. and i was going along and ran into Lido Shuffle.. haven't heard it in forever.. so i figure ok.. then it starts and i'm WTF?! knew exactly who it was and just gave up and played my normal easy mode stuff:)

P.S. not that it's especially hard.. i just suck :)

I really like Boz Scaggs song 'Lowdown'. Tasty 2 beat fill intro (3e+a 4_+a) into a beautifully played 1/16th groove. The kick pattern is nice, 3 strokes per bar. The '1', and the 'a3'. Played so clean.

I really like Boz Scaggs song 'Lowdown'. Tasty 2 beat fill intro (3e+a 4_+a) into a beautifully played 1/16th groove. The kick pattern is nice, 3 strokes per bar. The '1', and the 'a3'. Played so clean.

Such a good track. Sort of amazing how the two hi-hat parts manage to deepen the groove without cluttering things up.

Back