Unported kick/mic help. What I'm doing isn't working

wsabol

Gold Member
So I finished building my 20x14 virgin kick, and its badass. The tone is so rich and full compared to my last kick. I love it.

I'm currently outfitting it with Coated PS3 on batter, smooth white PS3 on reso unported, nothing inside, and I love the feel and the tone from behind the kit. However, I play in a pop country conver band, and I'm trying to get an appropriate sound and its not working.

First, I miced up the reso with my Beta52a. It was way too mushy,
Next, I picked up a Audix D6. The EQ and presence is a major improvement, but it picks up a bunch of sustain from my reso.

I'm trying to figure out where to go from here, and I'm really trying not to port my reso or put anything inside if at all possible, otherwise I would have done it by now. I know there are a lot of threads on this, but most of them say to PS3 over PS3 is fine, but I'm not getting it.

Should put an ambassador and felt strip on my reso?
Should I felt strip the PS3?
I've thought about micing the batter head too, but I don't have the gear for that (I can't postion a mic stand that isn't in the way)...

Do you guys know of anything that works best for this?

Last edited:
If you also like what you're hearing out front, don't do a thing externally or internally to your bass drum, work on using the proper cardioid microphone with little inherent proximity effect. The microphones that you mention, depending on their distance from the head (sound source), will cause an exuberant increase in proximity affect. This will accentuate low frequency build-up. Some people like this, I for one do not. The more low frequency build-up, the less articulation from the drum because the attack is being masked by an additional 20 to 30 decibels of mush, depending on the microphone.

Dennis

Back