Yamaha vs Roland

ra1708

Looking at the DTX950 because of price vs roland? Any reason I should spend more and get the roland?

Playability wise, no.

I think roland's hold their value a little better in the resale market.

regarding your initial question:.."any reason I should spend more and get the roland?" ..

in a word, Nope….

I play them both regularly..soundwise I do like the yamaha better (they use real samples)..the roland uses synthesis (sound modeling)..
to my ears the yamaha sounds are more realistic, especially the snares & cymbals…

…as far as pads go, there are a quite a few drummers that don't care for the bounciness of mesh pads (i'm ok with it)…with the new TCS pads (silicone head),
yamaha was trying to create a pad that better replicated the feel of a real drum...

..I do know several drummers that have switched from mesh to the new pad and they have stated that they like the TCS pad better than mesh…
I can't comment on this as I still use mesh heads on both kits I play (yamaha RHP pads w/ mesh & roland td-20sx mesh pads)..

regarding the modules of both, the yamaha has more features and editing capability (at least as it compares to the td-20sx)..
also with the yamaha you get three zones per pad (except hihat)..for me this makes a big difference, especially on the cymbals...

What's the Yamaha equivalent of the Roland TD15KV?

I'm looking to buy a brand new electronic kit and would probably get the TD15K (cause it's basically 800$ cheaper) but could probably snag the TD15KV for 3200 australian and take the hit.

From what I've seen the 15 is the newest model of the Roland and the TD9 is the next step down?? (I could be wrong).

Prices in Australia suck. Plus I don't even know if the newer models are out in Australia yet.

I was looking at the Alesis DM10 for it's capacity and the extra inputs (I play a 19pc accoustic kit so I'd want to add to it later) but the mylar heads just look crap and Ive had a few people I've talked to botch a mesh head job so it's scared me off a little bit..

What's the Yamaha equivalent of the Roland TD15KV?

I'm looking to buy a brand new electronic kit and would probably get the TD15K (cause it's basically 800$ cheaper) but could probably snag the TD15KV for 3200 australian and take the hit.

From what I've seen the 15 is the newest model of the Roland and the TD9 is the next step down?? (I could be wrong).

Prices in Australia suck. Plus I don't even know if the newer models are out in Australia yet.

I was looking at the Alesis DM10 for it's capacity and the extra inputs (I play a 19pc accoustic kit so I'd want to add to it later) but the mylar heads just look crap and Ive had a few people I've talked to botch a mesh head job so it's scared me off a little bit..

DTX700 series...is yamaha's mid-level ekit series..

Hi Folks,
I decided to go for Yamaha. The snare sounds sold me...
Does anybody has experience using the old Yamaha PADs and can compare with the new silicone ones? Does is make a huge difference in feeling?
I might have an opportunity to purchase one used DTX900 kit with snare and 4 toms, all the old pads with controller...
Thanks...

Hi Folks,
Does anybody has experience using the old Yamaha PADs and can compare with the new silicone ones? Does is make a huge difference in feeling?
I might have an opportunity to purchase one used DTX900 kit with snare and 4 toms, all the old pads with controller...
Thanks...

The new silicone pads are definitely easier on the hands than the older rubber pads and also a good bit quieter (there actually more quiet than mesh)…and according to people I know that have used them extensively, fairly realistic in feel to an a-kit...if you're not a basher the older TP rubber pads aren't bad (probably were the best rubber pads made)…the nice thing about buying the either DTXtreme III or DTX900 is you can upgrade to the silicone pads if you so desire (comaptible with both modules/basically the same module with a firmware update)…

...and if you like mesh and if can find them the first generation DTXtreme pads (RHP) work as well with this module (you won't get three zones though, as the RHP pad was only a two zone pad)…I've attached a ppicture of my e-kit, which i basically an original RHP DTXtreme kit (2001-2003 timeframe) with updated hex rack, DTX900 module and all new cymbals/hihat from DTX900…the picture is an older picture that shows the kit with two kicks…I've since gone back to one..however, you get the idea of what the pads look like..they came with real mylar heads and natural birch wood shells, but were easily converted to mesh..

picture.php

Last edited:
The new silicone pads are definitely easier on the hands than the older rubber pads and also a good bit quieter (there actually more quiet than mesh)…and according to people I know that have used them extensively, fairly reaslistic in feel to an a-kit...if you're not a basher the older TP rubber pads aren't bad (probably were the best rubber pads made)…the nice thing about buying the either DTXtreme III or DTX900 is you can upgrade to the silicone pads if you so desire (comaptible with both modules/basically the same module with a firmware update)…

picture.php

Thanks!
I sent a quote for the kit...

If i was choosing between the dtx 700k and roland td15k i would go for the roland the kick pad is soo much better for double kick use and the module is better. Also replacing roland pads is alot cheaper than yamaha. Yamaha are rip offs when it come to replacing single parts.

Hi Folks,
Thanks...

If it is a DTX900 kit it will have the newest textured silicone drum pads. If the pads are not this type, but the earlier black rubber surface then its an older kit such as a DTXtreme with a newer DTX900 module added later.

If i was choosing between the dtx 700k and roland td15k i would go for the roland the kick pad is soo much better for double kick use and the module is better. Also replacing roland pads is alot cheaper than yamaha. Yamaha are rip offs when it come to replacing single parts.

Please!…Roland less expensive on parts than Yamaha..not hardly…and as far as features go, Yamaha always offers more bang for the buck on comparable models..it's one of the reasons I switched over to yamaha from roland...

I've tried most of the rolands and yamahas a few times.

Out of those two they're both nice, and I'm not sure which I'd choose but some things to consider:

The yamaha silicone is too bouncy IMO, I'd rather save my money and use old fashioned rubber pads. And Phil is right - the rubber bass drum pad is a dead fish.

The hi-hat foot pedal on the roland sucks - you def want an e-kit with a proper hi hat stand.

I'd look at a 2box or look for a used td-20 (or a roland with similar pads/heads) maybe.

Back