Keith Moon

• Thread starter tuckerduncan2002
  • Start date
For me, I think that Keith Moon is a great drummer because he got into the music, listening to his drumming and watching him, it just seems like he had a lot of spunk and got into the music and went crazy. Hard to explain what I'm thinking I guess..

I've been playing a few Who covers with my band recently and each time I play along to the records I get a good feeling and a vibe from the man. There's an undeniable push and presence to his playing; however sloppy it may be at points. 'Won't Get Fooled Again' is just plain FUN to play.

I love The Who and Keith Moon. I know he was a bit of a drunk, but he was very influencial. I especially like "Happy Jack", because Keith does some cool fills there. Plus, he makes better faces when he plays than Lars Ulrich.

- Marc

Bonham to the moon said:
where did u get this information? and those who gave you it, how did they get the information, i dont think they ever recorded what his BPM was. And if they slowed down a tape to determine it, then he would hold the record for fastest BPM, am i wrong?
That was it, yeah I heard that they had that on VH1 I was trying to remember what the speed was and that was it.

Keith Moon is amazing. The tracks "Won't Get Fooled Again" and "The Real Me" are two of the greatest drumming songs in history. Up there with Bonham and Peart.

Wormsrock said:
Keith Moon is amazing. The tracks "Won't Get Fooled Again" and "The Real Me" are two of the greatest drumming songs in history. Up there with Bonham and Peart.
YES!! But I would have to add in "Bargain". One of my favorites. It has great drummer, especially the end.

What I love about Keith Moon besides the aggressive playing and huge fills and constant cymbal crashes (he puts crashes in the darnest places), is his creation of drum parts was so unconventional. He didn't always play a basic HH, BD,SD beat he would incorporate different toms or cymbals, or no cymbals only drums during different parts of the songs. It really makes you want to listen to the songs. It especially added to the fact that the Who were telling stories through their albums, Rock musicals, and the drums part definitely lent themselves to that.

tambian89 said:
I love The Who and Keith Moon. I know he was a bit of a drunk, but he was very influencial. I especially like "Happy Jack", because Keith does some cool fills there. Plus, he makes better faces when he plays than Lars Ulrich.

- Marc

If you want to see him having fun in a song, check out "A Quick One While He's Away". You can see this on "The Kids are Alright" dvd. You can also see him playing his "Pictures of Lily" kit during this dvd.

Followed the advice here somewhere above that you have to watch the Isle of wight video/dvd.
Well, i did that.
WTF?!?! :) I mean: his short video's here are pretty hilariously brillian but nothing compared to the dvd from this live set.
What a crazy piece of sh*** and I love him for it.he's so totally "in" the music he plays.
a bit chaotic but brilliant play, and then, gosh, those faces he makes...

Hes a maniac on a stool, ive allways seen him as being allright...Im not a fan of the gold fish solo though. If you didnt get to see his facial expressions the drumming wouldnt be half as exciting...

Beat Spector said:
Followed the advice here somewhere above that you have to watch the Isle of wight video/dvd.
Well, i did that.
WTF?!?! :) I mean: his short video's here are pretty hilariously brillian but nothing compared to the dvd from this live set.
What a crazy piece of sh*** and I love him for it.he's so totally "in" the music he plays.
a bit chaotic but brilliant play, and then, gosh, those faces he makes...
he and pete townsend crack me up on that dvd.

Keith Moon is one of the greatest drummers ever i dont think anyone had as much fun playing the drums as him. He is one of the biggest examples that drumming doesnt have to be perfect(as long as your good at being imperfect :S) But he is great most definitly and i know i look up to his drumming.

bonham990 said:
Keith Moon is one of the greatest drummers ever i dont think anyone had as much fun playing the drums as him.

I think he was having so much fun cause he was sauced-up most of the time....

The man was entertaining - thou a little sloppy...but still played some of the most incredible and energetic stuff....

My favorite songs to play to are Who Are You and The Real Me....

infernal drummer said:
lol the sound seem to dissapear from his toms at the end of the song . great fun they must have .. fun to watch . great band

does anyone have anything live we can see, using his big kit? 77-78

The sound isn't synched up with the video that's why! I have that video and that clip is one of my most wathced. Along with A Quick One and Shout and Shimmy from TKAA. And of course the Live at the Isle of Wight DVD. If you want to see amazing drumming, watch that short clip of Shout and Shimmy. NOBODY was doing that back then. And I think he was all of 17. Anyone who can say that Moon is not one of the best or the best must not know much about him or his playing or his influence on other drummers. It's sad to me that his manic behavior overshadows his playing. Too bad that's the first thing most people think of.

In my youth - I was a total jazz/classical snob (well the truth is that I listened to a lot more fusion than true 'jazz' at that point), BUT - The Who was about the only rock band that I listened to, causing me to catch total hell from my other musician friends who shared my disdain for such simplistic, cretinous drudge... ahh - the hubris of youth...

anyway - Keith has always fascinated me, both his playing and the total insanity that was his life. It amazes me to this day that watching a clip of him playing, it's always like there's a disconnect between the visual image and the sound - I can never quite figure out what the hell he's doing by watching him - it's totally bizarre and I can't think of any other drummer who does this, watching anyone else, the visual and audio images fit together logically.

but for anyone with doubts about Keith's cred, there's a story about Elvin Jones in the 60's(http://www.thehighhat.com/Potlatch/004/jones.html), where someone played songs of the big hot 'rockers' (in a blind test) and his description of Keith was simply - The man is a drummer." - nuff said.

Keith Moon had a unique sound, that's for sure. I don't know anyone that doesn't jump up and start air drumming air guitaring when baba o'reily plays.

Sloppy style? maybe. But man did he open up possibilities to a whole generation of rock drummers: riding on crashes, fills everywhere, bass drum all over the place. His influence is everywhere.

ok, i just heard "live at leeds".
i'm back into keith moon in a huge way now, he's really great. and tighter than some people might think, though still a little sloppy.
but above all he's fun, and thats what the audience usually wants.

There will never be antoher keith moon. He is probably the most unique drummer of the sixties. He was just a mad man and his personality really comes through his playing. I think it's pretty rad that some one can let them selves go that much while performing. Everyone needs to find the Who at "The Rolling Stones Rock n' Roll Circus." In my opinon that is the best rock performance of all time. They do, A Quick One, and it sounds about10 billion times better then the recorded version.

stevefty said:
There will never be antoher keith moon. He is probably the most unique drummer of the sixties. He was just a mad man and his personality really comes through his playing. I think it's pretty rad that some one can let them selves go that much while performing. Everyone needs to find the Who at "The Rolling Stones Rock n' Roll Circus." In my opinon that is the best rock performance of all time. They do, A Quick One, and it sounds about10 billion times better then the recorded version.

The Rolling Stone were so showed up by the Who that the Rock and Roll Circus was never realeased until recently. Mick didn't like the Who stealing HIS show.

Back