Electronic Drums

green-lantern

Hello Guys, my name is Paul. I've been thinking of getting electronic set to practice on since my kit stays at my guitar players house. I might do a bit of recording with them also. These are the ones I've been looking at.

I haven't played these yet but I've been leaning toward these. I hear you can upgrade the heads and they are almost comparable to the Roland kit but IDK.

822293.jpg

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-DM10-Studio-Drum-Kit?sku=712761

I did play these today. I was hoping I could load better samples in this kit but the guys at guitar center said you cant.

563501.jpg

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Simmons-SD9K-Electronic-Drum-Set?sku=483503

Guitar center had a 6 piece kit like this I played today and it sounded quite a bit better than the Simmons. The kit was the same price as this one 1799.99 I couldn't find it on the website. I could only find the 5 piece. IDK if they modified the floor model or what. I don't have the cash for it though. :(

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Roland-TD-9K2-S-V-Tour-Series-Drum-Set-361188-i1750395.gc

So does anybody have the Alesis kit? Can I upgrade the Simmons to better sounds? How does the Alesis kit sound compared to the other two? I really wish I could of played the Alesis kit today to help with my decision. I want to get a 6 piece to keep it as close to my acoustic kit as possible.

Thanks, Paul

Well I have played Roland for the last 20 years and it seems like you are trying to avoid them for some reason. They are the best in the business. Great samples and great reliability. With electronics you usually get what you pay for. :)

I would also highly recommend mesh heads with whatever you get. Quieter, more realistic feel, and less fatigue on your joints.

Well not really avoiding roland, just they are a bit pricey. I just don't think I can afford them right now. I must say I was shocked to find out the kit I was playing today was 1799. I expected them to be higher. My budget was more like 600 but I managed to up it to 1K without the wife leaving me lol.

I'm not sure what you mean by "upgrade the heads" on the alesis.

They are electronic. Changing the heads isn't going to make them sound or respond better.

Neither kit can upgrade the sounds, but any e-kit can trigger sounds via a computer and software that are going to sound better than any stock module sounds. Check out VST programs such as Superior or BFD2.

I've never been impressed with the Alesis kit. I suppose it's functional though.

Roland or Yamaha is the way to go. Yes, they are more expensive, buy you get what you pay for.

I practice on a Roland TD6K that I bought 2nd hand off E-bay. Cost me £350 ($570) so well within your budget. Mine has a mesh head for just the snare but if you look around E-bay you can find Roland mesh heads and replace as you are going along and that will still fall somewhere within your $1k budget.

I agree with some of the other posts. You are better buying Roland or Yamaha because of the build quality (I looked at Alesis and a few of the cheaper brands when buying my Roland kit) the sound and ultimately the resale value. After 2 years of use I can still sell my Roland kit for the same price I bought it for.

If your looking into E drums for practice pad type work at home because your acoustic kit is in the lockout or practice space then buy used or a basic set, no need to drop $1700 on a new one because its just not worth it.

If you are looking to add these to your acoustic kit a bit more thought on what you actually want to do with them might help you find a suitable one. As in do you want to upload samples, use pre-set samples, to play at different parts of your songs... look into the different sounds the drum brain(module) offers, some "drum" sounds are fun to goof with but I havent found a practical use yet. Intergrating an e kit to acoustic would warrant a much better kit IMO

I have a Yamaha DTExpress IV, its great! I've upgraded my snare pads, my cymbals are all round and a few are 3 zone triggers yada yada yada... it works great for apartment living. The brain is good it has all the basic features you need... Hi-Hats stink like EVERY e drum kit to date but its workable and gets you the practice time you want.

That being said ... I like to use the BFD2 drum software with my e kit. People who hear my tracks are amazed that its an ekit, so to that I say... buy used or relatively cheap set and go through a good drum software and you're e kit just got acoustafied.. Originally I had two e kits joined together for a total of 19 programmable triggers and as cool as it is nothing compairs to my acoustic kit.

I guess I'm trying to say if its just for practice and fun you can buy something cheaper and get just as much out of the e toy.

I'm not sure what you mean by "upgrade the heads" on the alesis.

Sorry I should clarify, The mylar heads on the Alesis (from what I have read) don't have the feel the mesh heads do. I read you can replace them and there is a padding or something you can put under them to improve the feel. Nothing to do with sound.

I practice on a Roland TD6K that I bought 2nd hand off E-bay. Cost me £350 ($570) so well within your budget. Mine has a mesh head for just the snare but if you look around E-bay you can find Roland mesh heads and replace as you are going along and that will still fall somewhere within your $1k budget.

I agree with some of the other posts. You are better buying Roland or Yamaha because of the build quality (I looked at Alesis and a few of the cheaper brands when buying my Roland kit) the sound and ultimately the resale value. After 2 years of use I can still sell my Roland kit for the same price I bought it for.

Ebay! Damn I didn't even think of that. I don't care if it's 2nd hand as long as it works fine.

If your looking into E drums for practice pad type work at home because your acoustic kit is in the lockout or practice space then buy used or a basic set, no need to drop $1700 on a new one because its just not worth it.

If you are looking to add these to your acoustic kit a bit more thought on what you actually want to do with them might help you find a suitable one. As in do you want to upload samples, use pre-set samples, to play at different parts of your songs... look into the different sounds the drum brain(module) offers, some "drum" sounds are fun to goof with but I havent found a practical use yet. Intergrating an e kit to acoustic would warrant a much better kit IMO

I have a Yamaha DTExpress IV, its great! I've upgraded my snare pads, my cymbals are all round and a few are 3 zone triggers yada yada yada... it works great for apartment living. The brain is good it has all the basic features you need... Hi-Hats stink like EVERY e drum kit to date but its workable and gets you the practice time you want.

That being said ... I like to use the BFD2 drum software with my e kit. People who hear my tracks are amazed that its an ekit, so to that I say... buy used or relatively cheap set and go through a good drum software and you're e kit just got acoustafied.. Originally I had two e kits joined together for a total of 19 programmable triggers and as cool as it is nothing compairs to my acoustic kit.

I guess I'm trying to say if its just for practice and fun you can buy something cheaper and get just as much out of the e toy.

I guess there is a chance I might start using them to play out and record. Some of the smaller clubs don't want it too loud and I hate trying to play quiet. I've always been against electronic drums but they have came so far since the 1st time I've played them I just may have been converted.

All good info guys! Any more is always appreciated.

Thanks!

Test

It seems I need to have my post approved?

I had a response to everybody that posted here but it said it had to be approved. That was a long time ago. For some reason I can post now. WTH? It's quite frustrating when I spent time to acknowledge everyone that is trying to help me.

I guess there is a chance I might start using them to play out and record.

In that case, do yourself a huge favor. Don't buy an alesis, and especially not a simmons. Neither one are up to the standards you'd want to play out with. Get a used Roland or Yammy kit. Everyone who gets a bargain kit like that ends up regretting it if they get past just practice alone at home stage to anything even semi serious.

I love my Yamaha DTXpress IV. For $899 I think I got a good value. Very fun to play and great for practice and play alongs. I already had some Peavy Speakers and bought the Simmons DA200S. And I can play with just head phones.
Sparky

In that case, do yourself a huge favor. Don't buy an alesis, and especially not a simmons. Neither one are up to the standards you'd want to play out with. Get a used Roland or Yammy kit. Everyone who gets a bargain kit like that ends up regretting it if they get past just practice alone at home stage to anything even semi serious.

Thanks, I have really leaning toward the alesis set.

What do you think of this?

drumset.jpg

drumset2.jpg

Roland TD-3 Electronic Drum Kit. Great cond. Price includes: 5 piece kit w/CY-5 high hat upgrade, DW throne, DW double bass pedal, Behringer amp, Headphones, Zildjian stick bag, practice pad, & instructional videos.

+1

A second hand TD-6V is a great starting point - some good sounds, is expandable and Roland gear holds it value pretty well for when you want to upgrade (or go back to a-s).

I agree with the above. I would also suggest looking at the TD-8 on Ebay. This was discontinued quite a while ago but is a great module. 12 x 1/4" trigger inputs and a 4 fader mixer.
I would say this was as good as the TD-9 is now but with more accessable controls.

Worth a look anyway.

OK! I found a winner! 700 bucks. I want to thank everybody in this thread for the advice......and Craigslist. No kidding guys thanks for talking me out of the Alesis and simmons drums. This is what I really wanted.

DSCF8818.jpg

DSCF8817.jpg

DSCF8814.jpg

Nice Job!!

Glad you went for the better kit, i cannot beleive how many people think that the alesis kit is going to feel like a real drum just because they use an actual drum head.

You will not be disappointed :)

Congratulations. You will have lots of fun on them. Especially if you have not had them before. You will be like a kid in a candy store.

I wanted to ditch band practice yesterday to stay home and play these things but said screw it and waited for the wife to come home so I could use her car to take them with me. The band didn’t know I had them ha ha. They did real well except the floor tom was reverberating too much. I think that frequency was causing the issue but we got it adjusted out. I started to tear them down after practice and the guys were like “What! You’re taking them with you?” lol well yeah! Hell, I might start bringing them back and fourth to practice. These things might be converting me away from the acoustic side.

Do you guys got any recommendations for an amp?

Back