Pat Petrillo here!

I'm with Chip, I'd love to have some recommended listening from you. I'm also very interested in that practice pad, pity it's not out for a while.

Lastly, your GMS kit sounded amazing in those clips; what are the specs of it?

Biz

Thanks Chip and Biz! Very nice of you

There are some audio clips from various records I've done on my site linked from my drummerworld page.

Go to the Multi Media section to listen

The GMS kit is their new ASH kit. Does sound great. 10, 12, 14 floor, 18X22 Kik

Be back soon!

Pat

Last edited:
As an Update

Many of you have inquired about lessons in the New York City area.

I am a full time faculty member at Drummers Collective in New York City, and you may call there to schedule lessons at anytime. ALSO...

I am now teachring lessons in NEW JERSEY on a very limited time frame. I only have a few times available.

If any of you are interested, you may email me thru my website.

www.patpetrillo.com

Thanks, and see you out there!

Man the DVD must be good...
Its sold out everywhere I called :)

Hey Mr. Petrillo! I just visited your website and you're an amazing groover. Nice and tasty like a chocolate ice cream sundae! Mmm.

yeah. That was a compliment! I've been trying to be creative with my words. I guess I need some work.

Pat, I have a question about something in the workbook (hands, grooves and fills), where would be the best place to ask?

I recently watched your videos, mr. Petrillo, and I have to say, Im amazed. Very musical and oozing with groove!

I have one quick question - The cymbal between the ride and main crash - what cymbal is that!?
I am in love with the short sound of that cymbal.

I checked the Zildjian website, what cymbal was that, but it said on your cymbal configuration page, that its a 12" K splash. Seeing as I've never heard that cymbal and it seemed to big to be 12" in the video (at least to me), I thought that maybe you could help me out. Of course, my eyes could be decieving me, haha.

Thanks,
Martin.

Pat, thanks for answering my questions!

I got Pat's book and dvd for xmas and have really been enjoying it, I had a couple questions and e mailed Pat and both times he answered right away with great explanations.

I especially like his rudiment tab system, and the rudiment solo he gives to work on.

What really hit home was his comments on the free stroke, for some reason his comparisons made me understand better.

Hey Pat! Nice to "meet" you here!
Recently I saw your videos here on Drummerworld and...well, I`m impressed! great grooves, great lesson for me and this pad looks interessting aswell...

so, again: Welcome on board buddy...an honor for me.

Karl

Hi all...Thanks for the kind words..

In respond to the question - "The cymbal between the ride and main crash - what cymbal is that!? I am in love with the short sound of that cymbal."

WELL...Long story...It's a Zildjian 14" Special Dry Crash. When I was picking out my cymbals, I fell in love with the Special Dry line. Unfortunately, ZIldjian is discontinuing that line ! Good thing I have these!

Also, the splash that I am using on the video is a 10" prototype I am developing with Zildjian which is along that same "dry" concept...quick, dark and dry, not your usual splash..

Thanks again!

All the Best!

Lineardrummer;

For now, you can order it at interstatemusic.com. The link is here...

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10051&productId=900072178&langId=-1

If there is a store that doesn't have it, they will after Jan 1...There is an announcement about greater distribution soon!

Thanks!

They comming in a couple of weeks so I can't wait to get the DVD...

I really like how you do that hip-hop groove and bring the left hand up to the hat and do a little diddle...I see alot of hand/foot HHF HFH FHH too...

Cool stuff...

Last edited:
Pat,

I love the drumming. You have a very gospel-influenced style of drumming (at least in the clips I've seen on here). Did you ever play in a church or is it just a style that you love to play?

Drumbum

Thank you for your compliments.

I have never played in church. I wish my Catholic church had a little hipper music! lol...However, if you read my bio on my drummerworld page, you'll see that my "roots" are diverse, having grown up on The Beatles, and then JB, Parliament and others. I think my stint with Patti LaBelle really brought that out of me even more. I played with some excellent players in that band, an I was exposed to alot of cool feels. I try to roll all my influences together and hope it comes out like me... R&B and Funk/Fusion are the types of things I do mostly.

Although, on my website, www.patpetrillo.com, you'll also hear some Pop Rock anf Jazz clips as well!

All the best

Last edited:
Re: Ratamacution

Hey everyone! I recently sent Pat a message asking about his Ratamacution exercise that is available to see on this site. I received a very quick reply and he asked that I post here for everyone to see...

Originally Posted by jarhat
Hey Pat! First off I'd like to say thanks for the videos that have been posted on the site, very nice stuff!

My question for you concerns the Ratamacution clip. I am a novice drummer. I have started to learn to read notation and what not and really enjoy just playing accented patterns on my practice pad. When I came across this clip I was happy to find the sound that has been in my head being performed very nice and clean! =) I'm confused on how you arrange it in a sextuplet. To me it just looks like you are playing single strokes with accents thrown in awkward places. I understand (atleast I think I do) what a ratamacue is, but from what I have found on the web they are played a little differently than what you showed here, I think you played it with longer gaps inbetween the accents? Could you maybe write this pattern out or show me where a similar one is written?

I hope that all makes sense somewhat, I'm really not sure how else to describe it =) Thank you very much for your time!

-Matt

Hi, Matt

First off, thanks very much for the comments...I will answer here, and it would be cool if you posted this question under technique or my thread so many more can read the response..

Basically, as I explain on the DVD, I am phrasing the ratamacue more "contemporary", so as to apply to the drum set a little easier. 1st, I start the Ratamacue with a tap as opposed to the traditional drag, and I also phrase it like a sextuplet, ala Gadd. The sticking is; R l l R L R, L r r L R L
Practice this phrasing first, and then you will feel it. I also do a couple inversions, as it is an exercies. There are many drumset applications I show on the DVD as well.

Hope that helps! and do try to post this on the site for all to see

All the Best!
Forward Message

Thanks again, Pat!

hi pat

i'm asking all the pros this question. i think the answers could be very instructive to many of us.
let's say there was a totally new drum rudiment that was suddenly discovered and was so totally applicable that any drummer worth their salt would quickly try to learn it, master it and use it in recordings and gigs. this hypothetical new rudiment is quite hard to play and totally unrelated to any other rudiment. it is so good that you know that the next time you sit in on a session the writer is probably going to ask you to use it somewhere in their song.
my question is: starting from scratch what would be your way of learning it?

thanks
j

Say,. Nutha

Extremely hypothetical and improbable..but here it goes...

Basically, I am an "ear player" since age 5. Even learning all rudiments "by wrote" or "by ear". So, no matter what it is, I play what I hear. I've learned many "new rudiment/hybrid stickings" rudiments and they are learnable once you have most other stickings together. As long as it's coherent, musical thought, it's achieveable thru repetition and breaking it down.

I truly believe we are all just trying to reinvent the wheel in some ways. I have found by teaching students to memorize immediately, they become more in tune with their ability to retain many concepts like orchestration, phrasing and ultimately creativity

Hope thats the right answer :)

Back