New Snare Ideas?

BrandonXD

Finally after 2 days, I've found the new thread button!

Anyway, I'm considering getting a new snare and I have no idea what to get.
I'm after a a nice, mid range pop sound rather than a crack and my budget would be around £250-£300. Anyone got any recommendations?

Best thing you can do is go and try a couple especially if you're after a paticular sound.

Personally I use a Black Panther Maple which I love and has a nice "rich" sound even when it's cranked fairly high.

For the unlikely case of not finding something in your budget range and preference, checking snares out at the store: Save up some more and get a custom snare. Might be a longer term option though.

Almost any snare can be tuned to a nice mid-range pop, you need to play around on a few to find what type of sound you like. Metal/Wood, Type of wood/metal, shell thickness, hoop type, number of lugs, depth, diameter. These all play important roles in snare sound so try some out and see what you like.

Yamaha Musashi 13x6.5.

I don't know about that drum in particular, but I do like a deepish 13" for more presence. That size sounds right, my 6x13" Tempus is a sweet drum.

Bermuda

I don't know about that drum in particular, but I do like a deepish 13" for more presence. That size sounds right, my 6x13" Tempus is a sweet drum.

Bermuda

I seriously believe that the Musashi is one of the great underrated snares in history. I've had mine for about five years now and it's always been great. The only downside is the poor strainer that it comes with - other than that it is just fantastic.

The only reason I'm thinking of selling mine is that I have a Guru 14x5 steambent oak that can do everything I want from a snare. I'm in the market for some 'accessories' and selling the Musashi would largely pay for those. It's always been a very faithful servant.

I spent an hour at Guitar Center last weekend testing about 20 snares. I think I've narrowed it down to a few, but I'm not ready to make a purchase yet.

Back