Yammie Oak Custom Snare: What's the deal with the internal snare?

chathamight

hey any of you drummerworld cats know anything about this crazy 20-strand snare inside my 7" deep, oak custom snare drum? is it supposed to be a dampener of some sort?

picture.php

Sorry, I can't see the picture you're talking about... unless it's your avatar...

-Jonathan

Did the OP not examine the drum before purchase? That was the time to ask.

Looks like an attempt at improving "snare" articulation. I don't know why they would put such a device on their snare drums, they are awesome enough without one. Probably sounds great with coated head for brush work. I wouldn't have any significant use for it though.

Nice drum.

Could only find a review on it. They talk a little bit about the fan snare under the batter. It's like finding a needle in a hay stack to find specific info on Yamaha's site.

http://www.mikedolbear.com/story.asp?StoryID=210&Source=Archive&txtSearch=

Last edited:
Im all ears on this one as well.Ive never seen that.I dont think thats a standard part.....

Ive never seen that before, but i bet it sounds pretty cool with the standard snare off. Kind of a "half snare" type of thing ?

That little mini snare muffle thingy is exactly the same way they made a lot of the old school cocktail sets, they will put those in the upper tom part of the floor/bass drum to create that snare sound. I assume they did that with the oak snare because it probably is not that articulate at softer dynamics. That's probably why, I think its awesome and you could get a lot of interesting sounds.With that being said, try a real loose approach to that snare muffle so that is real loose and vibrates a lot and have the other snares on the bottom head somewhat tight. I bet you get a great articulate snare sound, ghost notes that are fat and rim shots that hurt feelings. Try it, sorry for not seeing this post earlier I really want to try one of these snares now!

That little mini snare muffle thingy is exactly the same way they made a lot of the old school cocktail sets, they will put those in the upper tom part of the floor/bass drum to create that snare sound. I assume they did that with the oak snare because it probably is not that articulate at softer dynamics. That's probably why, I think its awesome and you could get a lot of interesting sounds.With that being said, try a real loose approach to that snare muffle so that is real loose and vibrates a lot and have the other snares on the bottom head somewhat tight. I bet you get a great articulate snare sound, ghost notes that are fat and rim shots that hurt feelings.

alright, NOW we're getting somewhere! cocktail drums eh mikey? thanks dude. i'll research that route!

i have tried the internal snare on+external off, internal off+external on, both on and both off. to my ears, with both on, the overtones are decreased, the same as with a traditional felt muffler. i have a nice set of external snares that sound great a little looser, so i leave them that way. with the externals set the way they are, you can't really hear the internal ones. the ghost notes are crazy fat and the rimshots are nuts...i just put on a diecast rim too. it's ridiculous.
with the internal on and the external off, it sounds kind of like a marching drum. the snares rattle, but unlike the externals, they don't sustain b/c they're a lot shorter than conventional snare wires. so, there's a really short scratching sound, kind of like a staccato brush tap, but with a lot less wire.

it's pretty difficult to explain, i suppose i'll have to put up some sound clips for you interested folks to check out...

Hey, maybe if you had asked this question before buying the drum, you wouldn't have this problem. Did that ever cross your mind cat?

there is no problem. i bought the drum because i love the sound. i also asked the guy who i bought it from and he didn't know either. so i posted the question on the drummerworld forum to see if any other drummers would know anything about this little device. seeing as the experience here on DW had been positive and supportive before about other things, why not?

what i wonder now is, how does a simple question about a drum, to other drummers, bring out patronizing unhelpful comments that don't address that question being asked? are there really so many angry-bored-smart-aleck people out there, to antagonize in, of all threads, this one? are they just racking up posts to up their member status? what a shame... and i thought this was a community. now i understand that other thread about what non-DW members think of DW...

Back