DWPS ordered!

Grrr.

I've been having trouble tuning my 8 inch tom. Finally I pull the heads off completely and inspect the shell. Bearing edges look great. Then I hold the drum an arm length away, and it doesn't look quite perfectly round to me. I measured the width of the drum at each lug, and I'm seeing what appears to be about 1/4" difference at some spots. I put the reso head back on, but turn it 90 degrees first - it's snug, too snug to be normal, the edges of the head touch the bearing edges. I put it back on how it came from the factory, it fits fin. Turn the head around the drum - gets about 90 degrees, and stops moving freely. Looks like my 8" is way out of round. :(

Not good, too bad !!

I would check all the shells and the rims !

Grrr.

I've been having trouble tuning my 8 inch tom. Finally I pull the heads off completely and inspect the shell. Bearing edges look great. Then I hold the drum an arm length away, and it doesn't look quite perfectly round to me. I measured the width of the drum at each lug, and I'm seeing what appears to be about 1/4" difference at some spots. I put the reso head back on, but turn it 90 degrees first - it's snug, too snug to be normal, the edges of the head touch the bearing edges. I put it back on how it came from the factory, it fits fin. Turn the head around the drum - gets about 90 degrees, and stops moving freely. Looks like my 8" is way out of round. :(

Holy Chit !!!!!!!!!!!

Not good, too bad !!

I would check all the shells and the rims !

I will, but I ordered the 8" as an add-on, it's not part of the kit, from a different supplier.
I pulled the batter head off (no problems with that head, it's perfectly round) and seated it on the bottom, and it fits fine and loose on all sides. The reso head fits snuggly on the top, as well. I measured again, now I'm not seeing the 1/4" difference, so I don't know if it was just a bad measure the first time (or the last time). I'm going to throw another reso head on and see if it's just the head.

I don't see how a head could fit find in one direction but not in another direction, unless both the head and drum are out of round, though.

I'm leaving town in a few days for a week, too, so I can't deal with returning it for another week and a half, at least.

Is this something that DW needs to deal with, or something I need to take to Guitar Center (where I bought the 8" tom)?

Grrr.

sorry to hear that...

did you check the drum with another head? reso head might be bad.... spin the batter head on both sides, does it feel snug? try a different company head

if all else fails, call DW and tell them that the shell is not completely round, that it is off 1/4" and that it wont tune... see what they say

Last edited:
Forget the drum head, it could easily be out of round.
Check the rims for roundness, then check the shells with the rims.

Ok... Its VERY important that you measure with no rims and no heads. Remove everything from the drum. Measure across the lugs and ensure that the "top" of the drum and "bottom" of the drum measure exactly the same across the same 2 lugs. If they don't, bring it back to Guitar Center... It is their problem at this point because it was a new drum when you bought it. If I'm not mistaken they have a 30 day rule as well. This should not be your problem in anyway if the drum is out of round.

Ok... Its VERY important that you measure with no rims and no heads. Remove everything from the drum. Measure across the lugs and ensure that the "top" of the drum and "bottom" of the drum measure exactly the same across the same 2 lugs. If they don't, bring it back to Guitar Center... It is their problem at this point because it was a new drum when you bought it. If I'm not mistaken they have a 30 day rule as well. This should not be your problem in anyway if the drum is out of round.

I did that, measured a few times, and it is indeed out of round. Not quite 1/4", but at least 1/8". Enough that it's pretty much untuneable. I've already talked to Guitar Center, they said bring it to any store, and they're replace it.

I checked the rest of my drums, as well, everything looks good. I was a little worried about my 14" floor tom, when I tuned it back up using a drum dial, I backed one of the lugs all the way out and the tension didn't fall. Started over, and it was fine, I just went too fast, I think.

just get a new head for the reso side... ambassador

if its not so much trouble, whats your tension with the drumdial on all your drum? batters and resos?

just get a new head for the reso side... ambassador

if its not so much trouble, whats your tension with the drumdial on all your drum? batters and resos?

I tried a new head - can't really get it to tune, it won't seat properly.

I just got the drumdial today - I generally use a combination of my ear and tune-bot (tune-bot is way more accurate than my ear), but with the trouble the 8" was giving me, I figured I'd try something new. The tension on the reso head was (supposed to be) 74, but I couldn't get that evenly.

I'm hoping that GC can get me a new drum by Monday. They should be able to, they got me the 8" in less than 24 hours, so I imagine they'll be able to do it. Otherwise I'll have to wait until the end of the month, since I'm New England bound for a little while.

On the bright side, pulling one of the rack toms inspired me to play around with the kit a little bit.

9736339128_dc1f00987b.jpg

9733107623_5c404fd34d.jpg

I'm playing a benefit next month, mostly 70's blues/funk/rock (James Gang/Joe Walsh, Grand Funk Railroad, ZZ Top type stuff), and thinking about going with something like this.

ahh ok... whats the tension on the other drums? 74 both sides?

on another note, i went to GC today to pickup a 13" tama snare and asked about my 8" tom... they looked it up and said its been there for like a month on the back shelf... so came back home grabbed more dough and shot back to GC for my tom... im so stoked to play it! ill have a picture of it tomorrow. also measured the tension on it for you. both sides are 73/74ish at each screw

edit:

here's the pic! also checked my heads for you! mine are lose. i think you got a bad reso head

d88df541-afb3-4212-881c-f48e7a30c6ec_zpsf94bd1f0.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice!

The reso head was warped, but that's because the drum was out of round. I brought it to GC, the guy took one look at it, and started ordering a replacement. That was on friday, I got the replacement today.

So I took a look at the rest of my drums, they're fine. I was messing around with the bass (trying to get a good recording sound), and the reso head felt weird to me at the bearing edge, so I pulled the head and took a look.

*sigh*

Here's one side:

9778569982_12a63e4f1e.jpg

Looks right on. Here's the other side:

9778569782_e4e6cd91ab.jpg

Two different drums from the same line, from two different dealers.
I'm becoming a little disillusioned about DW at this point.

If my eyes are not playing tricks on me, I'm seeing a 1/4" in both pictures. So what am I missing here? Maybe measure from the 22" mark like how it was in the first picture?

Bummer about the 8" though. Hope you get everything sorted.

If my eyes are not playing tricks on me, I'm seeing a 1/4" in both pictures. So what am I missing here? Maybe measure from the 22" mark like how it was in the first picture?

What you're seeing is a measurement from one side of the drum to the other. At one spot, the drum is 22" in diameter. From another spot, the drum is 21 and 5/8". Almost half an inch out of round.

Bummer about the 8" though. Hope you get everything sorted.

That was sorted out, got the replacement today.

Omg, I thought you were measuring the thickness of the shell, DOH! Time for some shut eye for me lol!

Anyway, if that's true then wow! That is outrageous and uncalled for! I have no idea what to say about that except to have a word with DW about this for sure. A problem like this is absolutely uncalled for considering the price you pay for these Performance Series sets.

Sorry you're going through this man. Keep us posted with progress.

Darn ! Makes me what to measure my drums.

I brought them used, so I guess I don't want to know if they are out of round.................

Darn ! Makes me what to measure my drums.

I brought them used, so I guess I don't want to know if they are out of round.................

Honestly, if they tune up fine and sound good, I wouldn't bother. If these drums tuned up fine, I wouldn't be getting them replaced. They sound good - the bass is awesome - but I can't quite get the tone I want, and it's because I can't get the reso head tuned properly. I suppose I could cut a hole in the head and record internally, which is what I'm used to doing, but I'm going to gig with this kit, and I love the look and sound of a unported bass.

Heard back this morning - a replacement drum is shipping from DW today.
Which figures, I'm out of town until Monday, but I should be able to beat it home, assuming it's shipping ground from Oxnard.

Back