2010 Football World Cup-South Africa

Re: 2010 World Cup-South Africa

When I tuned into the first game I thought there was something wrong with the broadcast quality. Then I found out that there WAS something wrong with the broadcast quality ... just not what I thought.

You wouldn't want a bunch of people with those things at a gig!

as for the England team, we played very poor football, proberlly, the worst we would play in this tournament, not alot of chances, the goal that went in was one that we could say we scored and not the yanks,

Come on England.

I don't think that's true at all. There were good performances here and there, USA were always likely to frustrate. England's warm up performances showed how bad it can be.

Does anyone else find the crowd blowing those horrible vuvuzelas that make a buzzing noise like a swarm of blowflies incredibly annoying?

It's nearly as bad as having a PA feeding back!

It is driving me bonkers, i hate them bloody horns with a passion.

The crowd can act as a 12th man on the pitch, if you have a hostile vocal surpport it can make a differance to the outcome of the game.

You then have the banter of say the USA surpport trying to out sing the English surpport (Not a hope in hell of that), it all adds the the atmosphere, and some of the chanting is actulally quite funny and whitty, But with them bloody horns, you can hear nothing, except bloody horns, imagine some little kid sitting behind you blowwing that bloody horn in your ear for 90 Minuites, i think that after 20 mins, i would have shoved it up some ones arse by then.

With the England games, within a short time, the only time you will hear them horns blow, is when someone farts.

I would have sworn while I was watching a British Premier League game that they were going to outlaw those horns during the World Cup.

Also,

i was told that the world series, was called the world series becaouse of the newspaper many many years ago was called the world series and that the news paper was the company that sponserd the baseball league.

Thus winner of the league was the winner of the world series.

Dont know, i could be wrong. after all i am English, dont know much about Rounders, ooops sorry i mean Baseball.

And jones crusher, you're right, we were sort of lucky, LOL. ish

come on try to be a bit more patriateic about your country. I fly the St George Cross on a flag pole outside my house 365 days of the year.

Typical comments from a non football fan thou.
But dont take it to hart.. just a bit of friendly banter.
Only friendly banter from me too (wink). Ok, you got me. I don't really like ball games (down Polly!). I am patriotic, but only to the point of realism. As someone who's travelled very extensively over many years, I've learned to see both the good & bad in most countries. I came to the conclusion years ago that there's no such thing as a better country, just whether it suits you or not. Also, never judge a people by the actions of their government. Sorry, got a bit serious there for a moment, but misguided patriotism is something I see as regularly getting in the way of the progress of human kind. Patriotism galvanised with a sporting event as the catylist is cool with me.

Come on England! even if you are mostly crap.

Much more wholesome, & especially as this competition is taking away gigging opportunities; Drumming vs. World Cup?

Go go Australia! Beat those teutonic schnitzel-munchers!

Only friendly banter from me too (wink). Ok, you got me. I don't really like ball games (down Polly!). I am patriotic, but only to the point of realism. As someone who's travelled very extensively over many years, I've learned to see both the good & bad in most countries. I came to the conclusion years ago that there's no such thing as a better country, just whether it suits you or not. Also, never judge a people by the actions of their government. Sorry, got a bit serious there for a moment, but misguided patriotism is something I see as regularly getting in the way of the progress of human kind. Patriotism galvanised with a sporting event as the catylist is cool with me.

Come on England! even if you are mostly crap.

Much more wholesome, & especially as this competition is taking away gigging opportunities; Drumming vs. World Cup?

Thanks, Keep it Simple, (Smiley Face), its nice to have the thought of being patriotic, seems as thou you are called a racist in this country if you dare fly your national flag.

The local shop down the high street said the local council will only let him fly his flags on sporting events outside his shop, due to it may upset the ethnic community, and they wonder why the BMP are gaining ever more votes, i say live and let live, so long as they dont try to stop me living.

But Yes, In your words, COME ON ENGLAND.

German counter-attacks are like Bonham's ligthning-fast triplets! Yes the Diemannschaft were just like panzers.....never lost a ball, pass, based on discipline, tactics, strength and push to the limit to seek the goal with team-effort-cohesion.

Socceroos! Never Surrender, they played until the last minute with pride against a Three-times champion.

Yeah, they were too good. But I don't think the referee was fair in taking out the red card on one of the Aussies.

I have to disagree. How many yellow cards did the Aussie s get? They were really playing chippy. I hate to say dirty but a lot of their challenges were late and unnecessary.

I had no real hopes for this WC after we just escaped against New Zealand and were easily beaten by the US in the leadup. There's still a major gulf between the football powers and Asia. Glad I didn't rise at 4am in 4 degree cold to see 4 German goals. Had a nice sleep instead ...

Ian, my mistaken comment about Guus Hiddink being our coach must have been nostalgia. Sack Pim Verbeek! Off with his head! Burn him at the stake! Send him to Nauru!

PS. Thard, those Teutonic schnitzel-munchers are pretty good, eh? Actually, being of mostly Euro heritage myself, I ate my share of schnitzel and goulash when I was young :)

The Germans are way ahead of us in solar power development too, even though 2/3rds of their days are covered by cloud while we probably have the brightest sunshine on the planet. Plenty of nations are miles ahead of us in many ways. It should help to be another reality check for us here in Oz as we happily thump our chests while dominating our little fantasy world of limited sports like cricket and various forms of hand/football ... we make our money as the world's quarry with the most embarrassingly juvenile public discourse. A little humility and appreciation of the achievements of other nations would be a good thing ...

Last edited:

I am going to show my dark side: Drown him in melting cheese and hang him by the clogs!!!

I had no real hopes for this WC after we just escaped against New Zealand and were easily beaten by the US in the leadup. There's still a major gulf between the football powers and Asia. Glad I didn't rise at 4am in 4 degree cold to see 4 German goals. Had a nice sleep instead ...

Ian, my mistaken comment about Guus Hiddink being our coach must have been nostalgia. Sack Pim Verbeek! Off with his head! Burn him at the stake! Send him to Nauru!

Tomorrow plays:

Holland vs Denmark

Japan vs Cameroon (Samuel Eto'o)

Italy vs Paraguay (Bernhard's call for Italy)

USA 1 - England 1

I thought England was going to mop the floor with the US. So much for that. The US was one post away from winning that one. And with that terrible goalie for England if it had gone to a shootout the US probably would have won for sure. Still, good first game to get us going.

USA USA USA!!!!

USA 1 - England 1

I thought England was going to mop the floor with the US. So much for that. The US was one post away from winning that one. And with that terrible goalie for England if it had gone to a shootout the US probably would have won for sure. Still, good first game to get us going.

USA USA USA!!!!

USA did well to hold off England, and both teams got a little lucky I would say..first USA getting the goal they did get, and then England when Altidore's shot hit the wood work. Rooney wasn't as lively as I would have liked... oh well, its a point.

ENGLAND!!!

Back