Harry - OFF-SET vs. Sleishman

Drumsinhisheart

Silver Member
Harry, I asked this in another thread, but thought it better to put it here. You said you sold your OFF-SET for a Sleishman. I own an OS. Great expansion spring pedal. Made a big difference in aches and pains I was experiencing playing traditional dble pedals. Charles Fisher is a cool, guy, too.

The Sleishman seems an odd duck to me. The pedal boards look heavy. Angles look like parts will wear out after awhile. I've seen vids and they appear to play as well as anything else. They cost a lot more. Used to anyway.

Why did you switch?

Then there's the Sonor, which costs an arm and a leg.

Well, it started years ago, at a NAMM show.​
I got my feet on an Off-Set ..... and a Sonor. And I went back and forth, for 3 days, playing them both. And I also met Charlie. I actually liked the Off-Set better than the Sonor. So when I found one on eBay, I pulled the trigger. Had that, for a couple of years.​
A few years later, at another NAMM, I finally got my feet on a Sleishman. And met those folks, also. And somehow, the Sleishman just felt better. Maybe the fact that it doesn't rely on drive shafts. It's not as heavy feeling, as it looks. I think the "original" was made somewhere around 71/74 .... so they've been developing and improving it, for around 40 years.​
Mostly, I'm a single pedal guy. Yamaha Direct Drive (Flying Dragon). But, when I want to go double, I pull out the Sleishman.​

Harry, I asked this in another thread, but thought it better to put it here. You said you sold your OFF-SET for a Sleishman. I own an OS. Great expansion spring pedal. Made a big difference in aches and pains I was experiencing playing traditional dble pedals. Charles Fisher is a cool, guy, too.

The Sleishman seems an odd duck to me. The pedal boards look heavy. Angles look like parts will wear out after awhile. I've seen vids and they appear to play as well as anything else. They cost a lot more. Used to anyway.

Why did you switch?

Then there's the Sonor, which costs an arm and a leg.

Hey, have read your reviews and stuff in some other forum somewhere, and watched your pedal review vid, they both helped me quite a lot while looking for pedals. Pity the Drumnetics guy can't get it together and make some pedals, was sold on them but when I contacted him they were still 'in the works', and about 6 months later still no news so I went elsewhere. I can second Harry's comment, the Sleishman pedal doesn't feel anywhere near as heavy as it looks.

I appreciate the kind words. Mike has had a rough time since summer NAMM last year, but thankfully he is now in the process of making his own pedals. CNC machine set up and working, and hopefully new pedals will be ready soon. There is a lot of interest and inquiries coming to him daily.

He discussed the ins and outs with people for a long time before pulling the trigger, but this will now give him the ability for total quality control over all aspects of the pedal, something he has not had in the past, and was always left to do detailed work himself to make sure each pedal was up to his standards. Now, he can make them as he needs them, as well as experimenting with different ideas for longboards, dble. pedals, etc., AND an off-set design (which I keep pitching for).

I appreciate the kind words. Mike has had a rough time since summer NAMM last year, but thankfully he is now in the process of making his own pedals. CNC machine set up and working, and hopefully new pedals will be ready soon. There is a lot of interest and inquiries coming to him daily.

He discussed the ins and outs with people for a long time before pulling the trigger, but this will now give him the ability for total quality control over all aspects of the pedal, something he has not had in the past, and was always left to do detailed work himself to make sure each pedal was up to his standards. Now, he can make them as he needs them, as well as experimenting with different ideas for longboards, dble. pedals, etc., AND an off-set design (which I keep pitching for).

That's great news, I've always wanted to try the magnetic pedals. If you can get him to make longboards (actual longboards, not Pearl-type longboards) I'd be one of the first to place an order.

Of note is that the Axis patent for the Variable Drive Lever is over 20 years old now, so I think he can make free use of that feature now if he wants. I want him to :)

Mike has his own cam and link design, so whatever Axis has is another animal altogether at the front of their pedals. I have spoken to Mike about longboards for two years, which will have his own design for the heel plate. It will be a true longboard, too. I'm excited to see what he comes up with.

Back