Double Pedal Bag?

Oh Snap!!

I think I found an offering that looks very tempting. It is a SKB square, marching snare case!

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=60&o=name&offset=1&c=100&s=77

I bet I could make this thing work. I might be able to fit my DW 9002s in there without having to take much or anything apart. I might have to do some measuring. I could always fill the void with padding or other small items (stickbag or something). But I like the idea of a hard case. Right now. I put them in my medium SKB hardware case. >> http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=193&o=name&offset=1&c=98&s=77

But I fear, over time, even with the pedals wedged into corners of this case, the lateral pressures against the beaters would have an effect on the bearings. I want to get my pedals their OWN case so that they can ride in style and last a while.

This hard case might be the answer.

But I fear, over time, even with the pedals wedged into corners of this case, the lateral pressures against the beaters would have an effect on the bearings. I want to get my pedals their OWN case so that they can ride in style and last a while.

This hard case might be the answer.

I had never even thought of that.

Let me know how it works!

How far do expand your connecting rod? I don't think I ever measured mine, but I'm curious if we can fold in a similar manner. I connect the Speed Cobras about halfway up each extension.

I put my Pearl Eliminators in a Protection Racket bongo (?) bag. The only thing I do is disconnect/slide the inner connecting rod from the outer .. they stay attached to the master and slave pedals. I don't remove the beaters either. Quick, painless, and repeatable.

I had never even thought of that.

Let me know how it works!

How far do expand your connecting rod? I don't think I ever measured mine, but I'm curious if we can fold in a similar manner. I connect the Speed Cobras about halfway up each extension.

I don't expand mine too far. My pedal spread is just beyond the footprint of the 14" snare. I will try to remember to bring a measuring tape to tomorrow's gig. Everything is already packed up and at my guitar player's house.

I have to say, I am somewhat surprised that some drum bag/case company has not capitalized on our lazy needs. How hard would it be to design a case that looks like half a pie with the two pedals angled outward like they would be when set up, and be able to keep the double pedal as one solid unit.

Sure it's is not a cute little rectangle or square, but given all the choices out there today, if I saw a more oddly shaped case that would allow me to open the top, pull the pedal out, attach it to the bass drum and be ready to play...

... I would buy it in a heartbeat. BOOM!

And all the other bass pedal manufactures would have to come up with their own damn version pretty quickly. Why would anyone want to take beaters off, take off the connecting rod again, again, and again when they could leave it set up as a unit. Also you would be less likely to strip those tiny lug bolts and other moving parts by keeping it together instead of slowly grinding them over the years through set up and tear down.

It just makes sense.

Okay - flimsy duffle bag - not recommended... I went on a trip (work related), left the pedals somewhere (near a high-traffic area) in my house. Went to setup my pedals last night, and one of the connecting rods is bent!

My own fault for not putting them in safer place (didn't think they were in anyone's way). But with dogs that weigh more than my kids, I guess no place is safe.

I'm slightly upset at myself. BUT - another reason to look for a hard or soft-reinforced bag.

I just replaced the part from my spare set of SC's at home for the moment..., but now I'm taking a more serious approach to this.

I have to say, I am somewhat surprised that some drum bag/case company has not capitalized on our lazy needs. How hard would it be to design a case that looks like half a pie with the two pedals angled outward like they would be when set up, and be able to keep the double pedal as one solid unit.

Sure it's is not a cute little rectangle or square, but given all the choices out there today, if I saw a more oddly shaped case that would allow me to open the top, pull the pedal out, attach it to the bass drum and be ready to play...

... I would buy it in a heartbeat. BOOM!

And all the other bass pedal manufactures would have to come up with their own damn version pretty quickly. Why would anyone want to take beaters off, take off the connecting rod again, again, and again when they could leave it set up as a unit. Also you would be less likely to strip those tiny lug bolts and other moving parts by keeping it together instead of slowly grinding them over the years through set up and tear down.

It just makes sense.

I created a thread a while back titled " gear I wish they woud bulid". This would fit in that perfectly. I have already contacted Gibraltar about making telescoping legs for their racks. They got back to me with some BS like " ya, that sounds like a good idea". I was like, YES I KNOW!, now go forth and build me one....:) It's only a matter of time until a company DOES build a decent pedal case. One that doesn't require a field stripping of your pedals....Maybe I'll call that dude from Gibraltar again.

Those Anvil cases are sexy!

I might be able to get away with using some sort of production level case, even one that was made for something else, to safely store those assembled double pedals in.

I looked at my DW 9002s tonight. I don't expand the connecting rod out too far. I think from exterior most frame to exterior most frame of the pedals is something around 28/29". I think the base plates kicked em up a little towards the 29" mark. I might double check tomorrow.

On the one had a custom Anvil case might cost a kidney or something, but on the other had, it is one of those buy one and done sort of affairs. You would want to be smart about the pedals you buy it for though. Be pretty damn sure that you have the pedals that you like playing. You might want to take into account allowing for extra room if you ever decide to go with a different manufacture's pedal, or long boards.

I am going to get something. I wanted tonight to be the last night that I put my expensive pedals into the same case as all my other hardware.

OK, I think I have decided on what I will be going with.

Another SKB Medium Trap Case!

http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=193&o=name&offset=1&c=98&s=77

I plan to have some padded bracing that I can add to secure the pedals fully set up. Once I have that done, I can allocate extra space for a few other items, but no heavy cymbal stands or tom mounts. A bit excessive you say? Pshaaaw...

I think it would be cool to have a sleek case In some sort of assembled configuration, but options are limited. I can get one for about $150, so while it's not cheap, neither is replacing expensive double bass pedals.

Back