Double pedal beater placement

Netz Ausg

Silver Member
I use a Big Dog Pro Double Pedal on my 22 x 18 BD (when not using single pedals on both BDs).

I was wondering on how other pedals and other drummers place their beaters?

I have both beaters a little higher than (horzontal) centre for added power - the right (main) beater is positioned along the centre line (vertical) and the left (secondary) beater is an inch or two to the left.

What's the best pay off here - the added attack and and full body that the main beater gains from striking more centre (at the expense of the second beater) - or consistency between them both if they are both at off centre positions.

Also - feedback on beater height positioning would be great - how do you position yours?

I'm finding that much of the lateral (side to side, left to right) placement depends on how the beater cam is positioned on the pedal. That just means a few of us may not have much choice.

For example on my DW9000 and 5000 single pedals, the beater holder is slightly mounted to the right of the chain, which itself is on the center of the round shaft.So when you mount it on the hoop, you would have to move the pedal slightly to the left to get the beater centered.

I just picked up a Trick Dominator double pedal. The clamp assembly that attaches to the hoop is wide. Again, not much play left or right because I would personally prefer to keep the pedal anchored and balanced on the center of the hoop. Therefore my right side beater is about 1/2 inch to the right and the left beater is about 1 inch to the left of center.

I notice a slightly different tone between the 2 beaters, with the R side having slightly more resonance. I am using the DW 2 sided beaters for more wieght. I also have raised the beater to hit right at center height of the drum head for added ooomph and power.

Rather than creating a new thread can I ask here - I am in Australia and none of my local drum shops stock the Axis beaters.

I really cant get the hang of the sonic hammers on the Axis pedals, I want to try the wooden/round beaters because I have always used solid low contact beaters and I much prefer them. Does anyone have any good online resources for buying cheaper parts such as beaters etc etc??

Rather than creating a new thread can I ask here - I am in Australia and none of my local drum shops stock the Axis beaters.

I really cant get the hang of the sonic hammers on the Axis pedals, I want to try the wooden/round beaters because I have always used solid low contact beaters and I much prefer them. Does anyone have any good online resources for buying cheaper parts such as beaters etc etc??

You mentioned "buying cheaper parts". That would automatically bring to mind eBay. For beaters, the risk shouldn't be too high for defects compared to buying a used pedal. Seems you might have a great selection to choose from. When it's all said and done though, the shipping might bring the price close to retail? Unless eBaying from a local seller. My $.02

I've had to replace my stock beaters on my Trick Dominator doubles and use the DW 2 sided ones with weights on the shaft.

Back