It's official...you don't need to read music

I'm not saying for a second that reading music is a bad thing - or that it should be discouraged. But is it entirely necessary? I really don't think it is.

I never taught a student without teaching them how to read what they were playing - Whether they used those skills later on or not.

You can get by in life without knowing how to read words (barely), but do you think being able to read would help? Absolutely! Reading music is just one way to absorb, learn from and develop your musical skills, but when its a choice between ignoring it or demanding it in institutions, youve gotta go with the latter, even just out of respect for the art!

I really feel for the young kids doing exams these days because they have no way of measuring their achievements in this world. Everything they do in educational settings tells them they are doing a good job and yet when they meet the real world many cannot cope with the requirements that their employers have.
There's the measurement they were looking for :)

GCSE ? Does that stand for Guitar Center Snare Excitement ?

General Certificate of Secondary Education. It's the standard school leaving test people in the UK take at 16.

But the point of it is not to prepare people for life outside school; it's more to set you up academically for the optional two year 'Advanced Level' (A-Level) course - of which there are two years. Advanced Subsidiary (A/S) and Advanced 2 (A2). Universities only really accept A2 and the A/S is there now for people to be able to gain a qualification after a single year. However - the A/S in itself doesn't really count for anything either.

Well, the whole thing about not having to read music in order to play it, is true, most people just improvise or know it by heart if you know what I mean.

Here's a quote from Drumline: Some people can't read the word toilet, but doesn't mean they don't know how to use one.

Just read a news story about GCSE in Music, that's the exam you do around 16 years old for those in other parts of the world. Apparently you can get an A grade without writing or reading a note.

Just how much can you dumb down examinations. They'll be giving them away with breakfast cereal next.

Read it here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/article4481222.ece

I really feel for the young kids doing exams these days because they have no way of measuring their achievements in this world. Everything they do in educational settings tells them they are doing a good job and yet when they meet the real world many cannot cope with the requirements that their employers have.

well for my exam i have to compose a piece of music, not so easy........if your a drummer that is. I can tell that if you are any bit decent at piano, 100% is'nt too hard

That means we old farts look pretty good and will have jobs until we die!

i'm not sure about GCSE music, but at music college (BTEC instead of A-levels) we had to read music regularly. i really wouldn't expect much from state schools, budget cuts all over the place.

The best thing that I ever did as far as music goes was to learn how to read music.
Im not the best reader in the world or anything like that. I hold my own.
Knowing how to read gives me a much better understanding of any musical piece that I play.
I play with musicians that can't read and they are limited in their playing because of it.
Feeling and being able to play by ear is important but true understanding comes from being able to read.
I wouldn't want to attend a school music program that didn't require reading.

Back