what does the type of head do? (coated/clear/black)

Nick G.

im going to buy some new heads for my kit fairly soon and was looking at some coated ones
but im not exactly what the difference in sound would be

can any one help shed some light on the matter :D ?

I started off on this longwinded discussion of heads, not seeing who the poster was, and misreading it as someone buyign for their son - my bad!

Coated heads muffle the attack and overtones slighlty, much less than rings of material do. They warm up the note and deliver a less complex, more fundamental sound - at least to my ear. I could definitely hear the difference going from clear Pinstripes to coated EC2s on my toms, and I used to play coated Ambassadors before switching to clears.

I'm not sure I'd agree with the above re: "less complexity" compared to clear heads. I think it all depends on just what we're comparing things to.

I've used coated ambassadors all my life and I value the "complex" tone they possess. This would be in relation to almost any 2-ply heads and virtually all of the self-muffled heads.

At the same time I'd never go near a clear ambassador for a batter because they are simply too boingy for the job. I guess that's more "complexity" but it's a complexity I don't need. A coated version will have fewer high overtones, but it will maintain a rich, "complex" sound in the lows and mids.

I'd say they add warmth and have a less plasticky attack.

Note that (though they swear it's the same as their white coating) the Evans frosty coating does not (to my ear) have the same effect; IMO they have a very plasticky attack and not much warmth to add.

im looking at getting a set of coated emperors as ive found them for a fair price (£37 12/13/16/snare)

has anyone had experience of using these??

ive also found the ec2 for £33 but they dont come with a snare

not the biggest deal in the world but obviously being only 16, price does come into the equation :D

im looking at getting a set of coated emperors as ive found them for a fair price (£37 12/13/16/snare)

has anyone had experience of using these??

ive also found the ec2 for £33 but they dont come with a snare

not the biggest deal in the world but obviously being only 16, price does come into the equation :D

Have used coated and clear Emperors and like them fine. But I really dig my coated EC2s. Evans does make an EC2 Coated reverse dot for snare; I use it on my steel 5.5x14 and like it very well. Others here have complained of lack of sensitivity, but I haven't experienced any.

I use coated Emperor's on my toms with clear Ambassador resos. I like them because, as drumtechdad pointed out, they have a less plasticky sounding attack and some extra warmth.

It seems like whenever I buy a new drumset (3 in the last 15 years) I always start with clears just so I can admire the interior of the shells, but that novelty has always quickly worn off and the coated's find their way back on there within a month or two.

Not sure if you're a brush man, but if you are, or are looking into getting into that type of playing coating is absolutely necessary on all of your batters. And I think emperors are a great all around head. Nice and controlled sound (if tuned well), has some good durability, and you can really adjust the sound to how you want it. You can get them to sound open or dampen them down for more of a thud sound. Really a well rounded versatile head. And personally I'm a fan of Remo coating than the Evans. Remo's coating seems more sand paper-ish when you touch it, than Evans' which feels smoother. But to my ear Evans' coating sounds more plasticky when played with brushes. And if you're looking for black heads go with the "black suede" heads, not the "ebony", ebony heads are the same as clear uncoated heads.

Back