Tre' Cool

Look, Tre Cool may not show off and do amazing drum fills like other pop-punk drummers do (ex. Travis Barker) and he may not seem all that amazing. But I doubt a man who has been playing drums for 21 years, recorded 9 albums, and has toured over and over again doesn't know what he's doing. I believe he's a talented drummer. Just because he doesn't show off all the time doesn't mean he doesn't have skill. And I hate how people who don't even know anything about them judge their talent. They must have talent or else they wouldn't be so popular. I think its really cool when simple songs can be so popular and inspirational.
I also went to two Green Day concerts last year, and at the one in May he did an AMAZING drum solo, he didn't do it in the one in September, but this solo was amazing. It seriously sounded like more than one person playing. Another version can also be downloaded if you search for Tre Cool's drum solo. It's very inspirational and shows his years of talent.
Playing that long, whether you try to get better or not, you've gonna get better at the drums no matter what.

Unless you "lip synch" all your shows for 10 years ;-)

Anyone can sound good on a recording (Pro Tools).

To be fair though, every time I see Green Day on TV playing live, it sounds pretty good (well at least the drums). Until the NFL season opener thing they did on tv, I never knew that they had a second guitarist that is always uncredited.

How would you like to be that guy?

Well Im not a Greenday fan but I can say this; Since just learning Tre is a self taught drummer, all respect for that guy Tre. I always thought his drumming was suitable for green day, catchy simple beats, nothing wrong with that, my son goes bananas when he hears Green Day. If anybody is aware of catchy/simple, it's Tre and kids. I really dont think you need all the fills and flash when your holding a simple catchy beat. Also, you can tell very much that Tre has been to the woodshed, which truthfully not many of us make it past there. Good job Tre!

Stu_Strib said:
I never knew that they had a second guitarist that is always uncredited.

he is credited on the bullet in a bible dvd. all players are.
i think tre is good enough to be called a good drummer. i don't think he is exceptional, but i disagree with anyone who says he's bad. if he was bad, he would be fired.

I personally like Tre Cool because of what he means to me. I grew up listening to Green Day and his drumming, therefore, it is only natural that I take a liking to him. Furthermore, I started taking lessons and working hard at becoming a good drummer because of him. I think it's up to everyone to decide for him/herself who is a great drummer and who isn't. If they had a great effect on you, then to you they are great. It's all about personal choice. I personally like Tre Cool the most, and Lars Ulrich (Metallica) comes in second.

I personally love playing his beats for 'hitchin' a ride', 'j.a.r.' and 'holiday', but he's not the best in the world.
From his generation i'd say dave grohl and joey castillo are technically better, but for outrageously punky and fast beats he beats them hands down.

Tre Cool

I'm sorry if my opinions hurt some of you guys. But those are my true feelings and I certainly can't lie about them, "so what" if I think Tre Cool is an inspiring true drummer everyone thinks different and you don't see me getting all mad with a person that doesn't agree with me. But again I learned to forgive.
Love Peace and Chicken Grease

Hi! I'm a Green Day fan and listen to the band everyday.
This is my thoughts:
Green Day play very simple music, we all know that! Still the music is very good and loved by many.
There are many good drummers around the world that play the drums - and just play. They make some cool fill inns and so on... wow…
I think Tré has come to the point that: "why make such a deal of it?"
If you listen to the music, you hear that Tré builds up his comps simple, often after the song. It sounds really good when the guys play together. And I think when you have come to that point where you play easy and make good music; it’s one way of being a perfect musician. I play a lot to Green Day's music and I know that if the comps had been too difficult I hadn't been such a Green Day-fan.
Not only is Tré a drummer, he's a very good artist too! You can’t sit there behind the drums and just play!

I am a huge fan of Green Day and Tre Cool. He's not the greatest drummer sure, but I guess people like him because he doesn't overplay and it's great fun to play to his drumming. His drumming also sounds great, such as in Jesus of Suburbia. Maybe some people don't think he's "the best" because punk rocks also not the hardest music genre. For instance Jazz is much harder than punk rock (in my opinion).

Stu_Strib said:
Until the NFL season opener thing they did on tv, I never knew that they had a second guitarist that is always uncredited.

Well yes....I kind of thought he was uncredited, but in quite alot of concerts he's introduced....Jason White...Arkansas....yeah...

I think Green Day is a great punk band. I saw them in concert on TV a few years ago and was blown away by how tight (and fast) they were. They sound great on Howard Stern's radio show a few years ago too. No noodling around....they just kicked right into it. Tre plays strong and solid. Great punk drummer.

However, I do think the American Idiot album is overated. Yes it's good and has some catchy songs. But I'll bet many critics and Grammy voters love it because it's all anti-Bush. It just seems to be the "cool" thing to do if you are in a band.

I started listening to Green Day recently, and while Tre' Cool isn't the best EVER, I couldn't help but notice how fast and solid he is. I really like him and his playing. "Holiday" and "St. Jimmy" are a couple of my particular favorites.

yes, i think he is overratted, but i think he is good as well. i'm often surprised when i see them play on tv at how much better he is than i thought, from just listening to cds. their live dvd really impressed me, and although his playing wasn't really spectacular, it was still really great and worthy of praise. i think due to the bands popularity, it gets blown out of all proportion, and i'm constantly listing hundreds of drummers to people who say that tre cool is untouchable. but it's not their fault, or his i guess. it's just the way things are.

I don't really think he is over rated. He is great at what he does. I really don't think there would be any better drummer for green day. Can you imagine Neil Peart in green day?!?!?!? but seriously Tre Cool is the man for simple pop-punk. The drumming on American Idiot is great and simple at the same time.

i dont think tre' is overrated. like many have said he gives the song what it needs. when i first started playing my drum teacher had me look at some old green day charts i was amazed. this guy is so famous and he has songs where something is so simple then so complex. he does what he loves and is good at it. his speed is amazing and he makes drumming look so darn fun. he is one of the reasons i started drumming. really tre and ringo have a lot alike.

OK Tre Cool, well i can honestly say he is just another run of the mill punk drummer. I mean the guy is a good drummer for the band... But he did have a bit more speed to him in his earlier days, now as he matured and their music matured a bit, he has lost sight of the speed. WHICH IS FINE, speed does not make you a great drummer, but there is really nothing too special about Tre aside he is with Green Day and endorsed by ludwig and zildjian. Aside from that Adrian Young of No doubt was probably better and Travis Barker (even though i dont like him) he is better of a drummer.

I like tre cool, i think hes alittle more unique than some of the other drummers in popular music today. i Loved his playing on dookie, and his drums sounded awesome, i havnt heard all f american idiot (a plus side of never listning to the radio) and i dont hear good things about that album.

as for the overrated issue, i personally never hear that uch hype about him, from drummers, or non drummers, i think hes underrated personally, as IMO he is more solid, and musical than travis barker, who gets alot of hype from non musicians and musicians.

^^^ dont rip on me for the travis stuff it is just an OPINION

i dont dislike Tre at all, but hes not my fav by any means, i think like alot of others said that he fits in well with Green Day and plays solid punk rock music.. i will grant him the fact that i have listened to some tracks off of the many greenday albums i have and without a doubt there are a few licks he'll throw in once in a while that will really catch my attention b/c of the speed, or how damn good they sounded... hes a good drummer, not the best, but good enough for Green Day and so whats the harm?

p.s. he does lack a little variety in his playing.. that is one the of the complaints i have against him.. alot of his stuff sounds the same track for track, and he has this one really common fill he throws down all the time.. its just a slow snare roll.. and he over uses it... but yea that's my gripe with him.. but like i said up top sometimes hes capable of good stuff.

-peace

Back