Too Sensitive?

Pkaneps

I saw on the news this morning that some kid living in a college dorm jumped off the George Washington Bridge and killed himself because his roommate videotaped him having sex without his knowledge and put it on the internet.

That sucks, but enough to kill yourself? There was another case (or two) a few months back and a middle school kid killed himself because someone called him gay in school, and another a girl was bullied so she hung herself. I feel like this generation is full of wimps...or am I just insensitive? When I was in elementary/middle school, 'gay' was the only insult we knew. Then we fought in the dirt. That's what kids do.

I don't understand it, and why there's so much sympathy. Sure, it's sad, but what kind of kids do that?

I saw on the news this morning that some kid living in a college dorm jumped off the George Washington Bridge and killed himself because his roommate videotaped him having sex without his knowledge and put it on the internet.

That sucks, but enough to kill yourself? There was another case (or two) a few months back and a middle school kid killed himself because someone called him gay in school, and another a girl was bullied so she hung herself. I feel like this generation is full of wimps...or am I just insensitive? When I was in elementary/middle school, 'gay' was the only insult we knew. Then we fought in the dirt. That's what kids do.

I don't understand it, and why there's so much sympathy. Sure, it's sad, but what kind of kids do that?
Actually, I think theres less sympathy these times. You see people making fun of the holocaust, laughing at people hurting themselves and worse, and since the invention of the internet, It's been almost doubled. On the internet you are anonymous, which seems to turn on the douchebag-switch on most people.
I also see people caring more for animals than people, but that's another discussion.

I was bullied a lot in school because I was different, and it ended in some idiot choking me in the school-yard. When I think back at it now, I probably could've handled it better, and I was perhaps too sensitive. I don't know. The point is, people are different. Someone can take a hit and still stand, while others falter and fall into depression. I know, I've been there.
Bullying now has become worse too. People take pictures of the victim in the showers and post them on facebook. Total ridicule and destroying most relations to other people.

As for suicide, I feel that it's mostly the easy way out(except if you have some horrible disease or have nothing left). Think about the parents, family members or friends that care about you, and all the pain you will cause with taking your own life.

Well I guess my point is that I was bullied, I think everyone is at some point. But that's life, and I feel like suicide is pretty extreme for these kids. I never let that stuff bother me enough for that. I always thought it was cool to be different, screw everyone who says it isn't.

I guess I just feel like my generation (or maybe the one after it? I'm 21) are not prepared to handle life. They're babied to death.

Dude, being a teenager, or a kid for that matter, sucks.

At least, now it does.

Part of the reason people are bullied is this:

"Without a them, there wouldn't be an 'us'."

I've said this before: humans are social creatures. Being ostracized or feeling so is a dangerous thing for the psyche, and it's how bullies win. They practically steal plenty of key things from a person in one fell swoop. Self-esteem, confidence, whatever. And then the people who don't even bully you laugh at you. You're now the bottom of the pile.

And, if you were raised to be a good person, often there's an inner conflict. You want to do something about it, like fight back, but you know that doing so would be wrong. There's the possibility that you'd even get in trouble for it, and then if that does happen, it would easily discourage you from trusting the system that promises that stuff like this wouldn't happen.

It boils down to loneliness.

I just wish these kids would talk to someone before they decide to neck themselves.

Absolutely tragic for a family left behind wondering why.

this isn't all kids though, these are extreme cases out of millions and millions of kids who off themselves. these few cases probably had other circumstances people aren't aware of, maybe severe depression, abuse, numerous psychological diseases, who knows. i doubt they were just wimps, really, if you can cast yourself into oblivion wimp is the last thing i would call them, disturbed yes, wimp i doubt.

edit: i mean the few who killed themselves out of millions and millions who didn't, that came out wrong....

You have to keep in mind the fact that what seems like a small matter to you and I is a big deal to someone else.
People like you and I don't get offended by stupid things that people say and do to us.
Some people are deeply affected by what others say and do to them.

There is no real answer for this type of thing.
Im like you, Im the kind of person that doesn't care what others think about me and what I do.

People like us have to learn how to be more understanding and considerate of others who are more sensitive than us.

Yes, this is tragic, and no parent (or anybody) should have to go through something like this.

I suppose my observation would be, perhaps this has been happening for a long time. But thanks to the internet, we hear about it so much more often. It wasn't that long ago when you could actually hear different news stories depending on what channel you were watching (of the small stories anyway, the big world news was about always covered the same). But now, everyone is so connected, it's hard to not hear the same story told by different people throughout a given news day.

People tell me human beings have changed alot, but I don't think so. We're still dealing with the same issues socially that we always have.

But as was already pointed out, people deal with things in different ways. For someone to consider suicide as an alternative to a social challenge they're dealing with is something I'll never understand. At some point in their young lives they missed the boat on something, and we'll never know what that was, and they'll never grow up to find out how to deal with it.

People with weak mind and spirit commit suicide or kill themselves, what an useless way to waste a life.

Poor guy - apparently a promising young violinist too. His roommate and one of his roommate's friends used a webcam to video him having sex with a man and Twittered about it. Full-on public humiliation in front of all the people he knew.

That would be very hard for a sensitive kid, too young to know much about life and trying to make sense of his sexuality and his place in the world. Pity no one could have told him the old saying, "This too shall pass" ...

The weakness of character of the sadistic fools who robbed this young muso of his privacy and public dignity - and his life - dwarfs any weakness found anywhere else in this sad tale IMO

Poor guy - apparently a promising young violinist too. His roommate and one of his roommate's friends used a webcam to video him having sex with a man and Twittered about it. Full-on public humiliation in front of all the people he knew.

That would be very hard for a sensitive kid, too young to know much about life and trying to make sense of his sexuality and his place in the world. Pity no one could have told him the old saying, "This too shall pass" ...

The weakness of character of the sadistic fools who robbed this young muso of his privacy and public dignity - and his life - dwarfs any weakness found anywhere else in this sad tale IMO

This, to infinity and beyond.

Guy was probably hardcore christian and didn't want anyone to find out. Two things people take seriously:

1) religion
2) sexuality

The guy is gone now. Survival of the fittest. Yes it's a horrible tragedy for the ones that he left behind. Nothing will ever compensate them for their loss. But now, the attention should be focused on the ones who humiliated him. There should be some kind of payment/punishment for this. So what, are the ones who caused this just free to continue on with their life? That's wrong and unfair. A message needs to be sent so in the future, hopefully these same types of people will think twice and stop themselves before publicly humiliating someone. I really do believe in an eye for an eye. I despise it when the criminal gets the better end of the deal. These people should be taken to task and made to pay somehow, in a major way. Like they now have to pay the taxes that the dead guy would have paid, at the very least. Responsibility needs to be shouldered by them.

I don' think one can be too sensitive, but it depends on how you handle the things that bother you. I would say in todays world, with all of the technology, etc, if there is anything that you do that you don't want other people to find out about, think twice about doing it. Spies and cruel people are everywhere.

I somehow missed that he was gay, and I suppose that was the whole point of it. And I don't know why, but it's especially sad to me when a musician goes..

I guess I'm pretty insensitive when it comes to religious reasoning used to stop you from being who you are. This kid was 18, three years younger than me. I guess I don't know how it feels to be gay and surrounded by people who are intolerent, and I don't know what it feels like to care what society thinks about my personal life.

The way I look at it, things or situations couldn't. get bad enough for me too take my own life.
it's tragic that he let a few immature people push him too that point. if you let people get the best of you then they win. it's just words & consider the source.

Bonzolead

Back