What are your hobbies?

mikei

Gold Member
Here she is in all her glory.

180 gallons of peaceful, agressive behavior. Very relaxing and exciting.

I have about 20 fish in the tank.

A great hobby for all!!!!

Enjoy the pics.

The pics here simply don't do it justice.

Tank is new and was custom made. About 300 lbs of mexican lava rock. Pics are from the random tank dwellers. Mostly red devils and parrots. In a few you can see the pleco and a green terror.

The baby jag, firemouth, oscar and severum are not in the pics.

The huge black belt was in his cave and I couldn't get him out. An amazing looking fish.

Picture with my wonderful 9 year old daughter was to put into prospective the size and beauty of this tank.

Thinking of adding a baby dovii. When it gets large enough, I would buy him his own home.

Anyway, what are you opinions on my cichlid kingdom!!!????

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 2,593
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 1,058
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 534
  • Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 600
  • Image5.jpg
    Image5.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 564
  • Image6.jpg
    Image6.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 466
  • Image7.jpg
    Image7.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 523
Hey Mikei, awesome! I see you have some Acaras in there. Good thing they are small or they can stir up some trouble if the tank was any smaller. Check out some more African & lake Malawi Cichlids to add to the tank.. looks like you have lots of room!

It is a great hobby, with medical proof that it lowers blood pressure and improves overall sense of well being.

Enjoy.

P.S - that a pretty big Cichlid outside the tank.. or is that a mermaid?

Had most of these fish in a 90 for years. Tanks started bowing so we made a significant upgrade.

We have added an oscar (4 inches now, but will grow to 10 plus), 2 green terrors (2 inches now, will grow to 8), a firemouth (2 inches now, will grow to 7 or so), and 2 jaguars (1 inch now, will grow to over 12). Oh, and one severum. Will grow to 8 inches.

So the next couple of months will be fun. They are all healthy and just interact with each other. quite fascinating to watch.

Mike

Thats definitely eye candy for sure.. I love the wooden base table..Adds a head-full of color+life to a space that might have had none previously... Really nice. But I happen to love marine life more than most others; quiet, nice to look at, and no "poop-scooping" or "litter tray- sifting to deal with.

I ve always loved those little tropical frogs, the ones that are basically see-through. You can just watch 'em swim around while seeing how the muscles interact with the tendons and skin. Its like a biology class without the annoying textbook lessons...SO cool!, its a shame they dont live to long though. : (

Good setup there Mikeii...May you and your children enjoy it for years..

When I quickly gazed over the title of this all I really saw was "tank" and I'm thinking...

Holy sh** he has a tank?!?!?!

But now, I know what you ment.

Though, It would be sweet to ride your way out of traffic (or run it all over) in a Panzer or Tiger Tank.

I have a new topwater lure I need to test. Do I need a saltwater license?
That looks great Mike. They will relax you for sure. My son has a small
tank and it is mesmerizing.

When I quickly gazed over the title of this all I really saw was "tank" and I'm thinking...

Holy sh** he has a tank?!?!?!

But now, I know what you ment.

Though, It would be sweet to ride your way out of traffic (or run it all over) in a Panzer or Tiger Tank.

I thought the same thing.

But that tank looks expensive!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't be putting an Oscar in there, if I ever won an Oscar, I'd keep it in pristine condition for sentimental value.

(and surely jaguars don't like water? I spose if you can get them in there it'll be fine, but don't expect them to last long and have fun trying to pull them back out eh?)

Here she is in all her glory.

180 gallons of peaceful, agressive behavior. Very relaxing and exciting.

I have about 20 fish in the tank.

A great hobby for all!!!!

Enjoy the pics.

The pics here simply don't do it justice.

Tank is new and was custom made. About 300 lbs of mexican lava rock. Pics are from the random tank dwellers. Mostly red devils and parrots. In a few you can see the pleco and a green terror.

The baby jag, firemouth, oscar and severum are not in the pics.

The huge black belt was in his cave and I couldn't get him out. An amazing looking fish.

Picture with my wonderful 9 year old daughter was to put into prospective the size and beauty of this tank.

Thinking of adding a baby dovii. When it gets large enough, I would buy him his own home.

Anyway, what are you opinions on my cichlid kingdom!!!????

WHen you said, "here she is in all her glory," I thought you were referring to your daughter, but you made mention of her as well...cute kid, next she turns gorgeous like my 13 yr old daughter (I have the shotgun sitting by the front door!) so now you are next in line for that! The tank is nice...I grew up with a ton of fish tanks, my parents had like 28 tanks at one time and 2 were 100 gals. Now they have a 50 with some fish...as for me I can do without...like to look and not own! ENJOY

thats tight! to bad fish nver have liked me i dont no why haha. but really i thought you bought a real tank too and i was like where the f**k do you buy one of those!

larrys vintage car thread got me to thinking . what are some of your hobbies outside of drums ?
for me it has been marine fish tanks , more precisely reef tanks . the current tank is a 600 gallon one , but as of saturday it willbe shut down .
i'm saddened to have to do it but things change and the time to properly maintain it is no longer there . it will have one nice side effect - lower power bill ! 1000 + watts of lighting , multiple pumps pushing nearly 20, 000 gallons an hour , plus all the other electronics really add up fast .
but this also opens up the door to a new hobby . a 600 gallon low tech / low cost terrarium to house dart frogs !
one of the down sides of a fish tank is having someone you trust take care of it while your on vacation . the only person i trusted will be moving to thailand next year , so i also had to consider that also . with the terrarium i'm good to go !
it will also give me more time to help jennifer with her practices and do other things together .
so here are some pics of one hobby that will end , and soon some pics of the new hobby !

Attachments

• drums and fish  041909 058.JPG
    drums and fish 041909 058.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 169
  • drums and fish  041909 035.JPG
    drums and fish 041909 035.JPG
    214.2 KB · Views: 164
  • fish pics 03-25-09 053.JPG
    fish pics 03-25-09 053.JPG
    174.5 KB · Views: 166
  • fish pics 03-25-09 047.JPG
    fish pics 03-25-09 047.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 171
  • jennifer award and misc fish pics 115.JPG
    jennifer award and misc fish pics 115.JPG
    211.8 KB · Views: 163
I also had a marine aquarium for many years.
From about 1987 until 1997.
I also had Cockatoos and Parakeets back then.
I don't have pets now.
I guess that I got tired of all of the work to keep them.

I do some deer hunting. I may stop that next fall also.
As I have gotten older I don't have the will to kill anymore.
I still love venison though!

Drumming is my hobby right now.

I'm like caddywumpus - my hobbies became jobs. Got interested in photography about 10 years ago and now it's a semi-thriving portrait business!

Making music is a hobby until a gig comes through too. Mountain biking when I can.

Landscaping and historical build renovation are my two main hobbies/obsessions. The renovation is more out of necessity. The landscaping is the fun bit (but a huge amount of work). The scheme pictured below represents 4 years work and thousands of man hours worked. Apart from some machine & occasional driver hire, everything is the work of myself & my long suffering wife, Yvonne. The oak framed house was completely stripped to the shell, then built back up. The garage was renovated with drum loft over. The gardens (about 1.5 acres) were 8ft high in brambles & other stuff. We shifted 8,000 tonnes of earth, built an 8ft earth retaining rockery with waterfall from 360 1-3 tonne boulders, planted 190 trees, 7,000 plants, etc, etc. Still got the drive to finish though. Pictures taken in spring, so everything is so much bigger & greener now. Hope you enjoy looking at the work of someone who never rests.

Attachments

• CIMG5471-Optimized.JPG
    CIMG5471-Optimized.JPG
    625.9 KB · Views: 164
  • CIMG5476-Optimized.JPG
    CIMG5476-Optimized.JPG
    458.7 KB · Views: 173
  • CIMG5475-Optimized.JPG
    CIMG5475-Optimized.JPG
    551.6 KB · Views: 164
  • CIMG5477-Optimized.JPG
    CIMG5477-Optimized.JPG
    485.4 KB · Views: 164
Wow KIS, incredible place, all I have is a fire escape with an olive tree in a pot. Which I suspect probably won't help in the event of a fire!

Looking back over your work must be very satisfying experience, that place is a great reflection on you, really shows what you can achieve with some dedication and hardwork.

Wow KIS, incredible place, all I have is a fire escape with an olive tree in a pot. Which I suspect probably won't help in the event of a fire!

Looking back over your work must be very satisfying experience, that place is a great reflection on you, really shows what you can achieve with some dedication and hardwork.
Thanks Neil. That's one more olive tree than I started with! We've done 4 ground up renovations & landscaping. There's no way we could ever afford to get people in to do this stuff. Each project is literally 10's of thousands of man hours work. I've worked up to this by buying wrecks in lovely locations, doing the work, then selling for a profit & moving on to the next project. Breaks my heart every time I sell one of these life labours of love. Lucky for me, there's a bunch of people out there who are happy to pay a premium for our finished work. We won't be selling this one (our home) for a long time, unless-------

Hmmm well i because i live so close to the sea, one of my main passions is kayaking, however i recently sold my boat so i could afford a cymbal, as i wasn't using it so much :/ I loved that boat dearly, had some good times in it :'(

Hobbies now are mainly drumming and this summer will involve painting large chunks of the house for some extra cash, obviously towards a new crash ;)

Also, What a fantastic location KIS! :D Your house looks exactly like the something out of the old days, but my god is it stylish :] Can tell you put many long hard hours work in on that.

Back