Stairway to Heaven turns 40....

I hated that song growing up. It always beat RUSH's "Closer to the Heart" on local radio stations top 100 rock songs of all time. :) It is a great song.

I'm deeply offended. You must be wrong because you hated it.

I'm deeply offended. You must be wrong because you hated it.
Ok buddy. I get your point. Do you ever take a day off of beating on me. Can't we just hug and make up. I take others opinions to heart. I realize this, and struggle constantly to keep a lid on it. I got beaten up in High School by this big black guy because he liked one team and I liked another, and I told him he was crazy to like the team he liked. I guess I should of learned that day. Thick skull I guess. :)

Ok buddy. I get your point. Do you ever take a day off of beating on me. Can't we just hug and make up. I take others opinions to heart. I realize this, and struggle constantly to keep a lid on it. I got beaten up in High School by this big black guy because he liked one team and I liked another, and I told him he was crazy to like the team he liked. I guess I should of learned that day. Thick skull I guess. :)

I think Duncan is pulling your chain, because I can't imagine he likes Stairway at all. LOL.

Anyhow:

Great song
Way over played.

I think Duncan is pulling your chain, because I can't imagine he likes Stairway at all. LOL.

Anyhow:

Great song
Way over played.

The funny thing is I do like the song. The problem (like the rest of Zeppelin) is that it's hideously overplayed. I think 'Going to California' is a better song, mind.

Eck, sod it.

Pretty old now eh? Love the song but I, myself have overplayed it. I've overplayed my whole Led Zep collection to death. Can only listen to them now and again :-( Damn my obsessive side!

40 years! ...that's making me feel old....

Well to me "IV" is the best Led Zeppelin album.

I agree... a bit overplay everywhere... in "Wayne's World" it's written "NO STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN" in the guitar shop...

In the 1990s I had to take a break from Zep because I had played them to death (as well as the radio stations). Now I listen in moderation, and can appreciate their music more. The last 2 minutes of Stairway is one of the best and most raucus segments of a rock song....ever.

In terms of where Stairway stacks up with the rest of their catalog, I'd put it 4th behind:

Good Times Bad Times
Communication Breakdown
Kashmir

Yep, overplayed and thrashed to within an inch of it's life......yet I'll happily listen to it (again) anytime. Pagey at his absolute best!! I'll never tire of hearing that man play his guitar. I'm off to listen to IV....one more time. Happy 40th!

one year and 11 days ago, I was so sick of that song, I would turn it off, the second it came on the radio...now that I'vs been playing drums, I'm listening to the song in a whole different way. blaaaap blaaaap blaaaaap blaaaaaap!!! <----Bon ham triplets

I actually really like The Battle of Evermore. Such a great song in my opinion. Misty Mountain Hop is awesome too.

Anyone know why Percy doesn't like to sing that song? I've read that he dismisses it because he wrote it when he was young and his feelings about that song no longer are the same. Pretty general; how about the specifics?

GJS

While the song was spoiled for me through overplaying, I'm glad young people are being exposed to one of the best arranged hit singles.

You don't really get "epics" in the Top 40 now - like Stairway, Bohemian Rhapsodym Classical Gas or Macarthur Park ... as for the latter, I never understood how people could be so turned off by a bit of fun melodrama that they'd overlook that fabulous arrangement. Always liked it.

Back