Evanc G Plus coated heads anyone use yet?

No.

On smaller toms (8/10/12) The coating is like gravel. It dries out the tone too much. It's like playing thick sandpaper.
The G2's sing better IMO.

For larger toms, it's debatable, but I preferred the g2.

I should sell my barely used coated G plus

I've used the G-plus clears. (I very much dislike the Evans frosty "coating.")

Being a slightly thicker 1-ply head (12mil vs 10mil) they sustain a bit more. If you want that, you'll like them. A bit less open sounding than 10mil clears.

I am actually using them now as resos on two toms, to increase their sustain and better match the sustain of the other toms in the kit. Works great.

No.

On smaller toms (8/10/12) The coating is like gravel. It dries out the tone too much. It's like playing thick sandpaper.
The G2's sing better IMO.

Really? The G plus is thinner than the G2 isn't it? Is the coating different than the G2?

Really? The G plus is thinner than the G2 isn't it? Is the coating different than the G2?

A G2 has a traditional sprayed-on coating such as that found on coated G1s and coated Ambassadors. The Evans EC1, EC2, and G-plus versions that they call "coated" have a frosty textured finish, not a coating.

Traditional coatings tame some of the high overtones, reduce sustain a smidge, and warm up the sound. To my ears the frosty "coating" takes a nice sounding head and gives it a slappy plasticky attack with no added warmth.

And yes, the G-plus is thinner: one 12mil ply vs. the G2's two 7mil plies.

To my ears the frosty "coating" takes a nice sounding head and gives it a slappy plasticky attack with no added warmth.

I agree. I tried the coated EC2 for about 2 days and then threw up. Ended up giving them to my brother-in-law. Ha Ha :)

I didn't realize the G plus was frosted, thanks for the warning.

I didn't realize the G plus was frosted, thanks for the warning.

They stay crunchy, even in milk!

The frosting is definately a detriment to tone. The G-plus have a *few* applications I suppose. Maybe hard rock or metal---provided you play larger toms.

A G2 has a traditional sprayed-on coating such as that found on coated G1s and coated Ambassadors. The Evans EC1, EC2, and G-plus versions that they call "coated" have a frosty textured finish, not a coating.

Traditional coatings tame some of the high overtones, reduce sustain a smidge, and warm up the sound. To my ears the frosty "coating" takes a nice sounding head and gives it a slappy plasticky attack with no added warmth.

And yes, the G-plus is thinner: one 12mil ply vs. the G2's two 7mil plies.

Guys the application of the coating for the EC2 and G2 is exactly the same, the only difference is that there is a white pigment in the coating for G2. If the white pigment makes that big of a difference it would be truly amazing. The Titanium oxide we use for pigment makes up less then 1% of the total formulation.

May I suggest that what you are hearing is the application of coating on two drum heads that are very different. The difference between a EC2 and G2 are profound due to the EC ring, while the difference between a G+ Coated and G1 Coated is due to the different films used. Regardless you are not comparing apples to apples when comparing the coatings white vs. frosted.

It does make sense though that the Coating would make a focused head more muted and slappy with some tuning preference...all I'm saying is that I could send you a white version and it wouldn't make a difference, they would sound the same as the frosted.

I personnally like the EC2 coated on my larger drums because I'm not a big fan of the attack I get from clear heads, and I like the focused sound I can get from the ECs...

The other variable that makes a difference when judging a head is your stick type, the type of tip, shape of the tip, and the weight and material of the stick all have an effect on the way a drumhead sounds to someone.

hope this helps...

RD

NOTE: I would once again like to take this opportunity to publicly thank Evans drums for helping me restore a deployed chapel tent drum kit by sending us a generous amount of drumheads. You guys rock!

Today on "How it's made"....Evans drum heads...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10Y_hwY62TM

I use Evans on my kit, regardless---but like any other company (or kit for that matter) not everything works equally well.

The ec2 coated definitely work well on bigger drums, much like the g-plus.

I too avoid the plastic slap with coated heads.

IMO: when you deal with a kit there is no one drumhead that works just as well on an 8/10 as they do on a 14/16.

Right now on my 8/10 for example, no moongel. I use a dab on the 12, and a full piece on the 14/16.

Getting the moon and stars to align with the shells and acoustic environment can be trial and error.

Last edited:
May I suggest that what you are hearing is the application of coating on two drum heads that are very different. The difference between a EC2 and G2 are profound due to the EC ring, while the difference between a G+ Coated and G1 Coated is due to the different films used. Regardless you are not comparing apples to apples when comparing the coatings white vs. frosted.

My comments are in regard to the clear vs "coated" of the same model, not different heads--i.e., EC2 clear vs EC2 "coated."

And--Evans may protest that the only difference is the color, but my ears tell me differently. When I hear the EC2 (or EC1 or G-plus) clears vs coated I do not hear the same thing as I hear when I compare a G1 clear and a G1 coated.

At first I thought it was me, but many others have noted the same thing.

I let the salesmen at my local drum shop talk me into getting them on all my toms (10,12,14,16) last week. The kit he had them on at the shop was a 4-piece with a 13 and 16 and they sounded pretty good, so I went with them. Now I'm regretting it.

On my 14 and 16 they sound ok, but on my 10 and 12 I can't stand the sound.

Abazuto,
What specifically is wrong with the sound of the 10" and 12"? Can you describe it? Also, what sound are you looking to acheive?

Mike
Evans Senior Product Manager

Abazuto,
What specifically is wrong with the sound of the 10" and 12"? Can you describe it? Also, what sound are you looking to acheive?

They're too airy and light sounding on the 12 and 10 and I'm going for more of a moderately deep punchy rock tone. The 12 has a hint of that "plasticy" unwarm tone to it, but it's really bad on the 10..

I threw some moongel on my 14 and 16 and both of them sound great now ( I had lost mine in the process of moving out my old kit), so I'm gonna stick with them on those.

However, the 10 and 12 are pretty much immune to moongel trying to deepen the tone, so I'll probably go G2 coated on those two.

Summed up, it seems on 13" and larger they produce a nice mildly deep warm tone (given a little dampening), but on 12" and smaller their unable to bring out any of the deeper tones. The kit I heard them on the store only had a 13/16, so I had no idea how they'd sound on smaller toms.

If someone had a kit that only consisted of 13" and larger toms, I'd give them two thumbs up for making a larger kit sound a little more mellow, but still maintain that big meaty sound.

What kind of bottom heads are you using and where do you have everything pitched. What you're describing doesn't match with my experience with the G Plus, so I'm just trying to figure out what's different.

I'll say this...this is not a head that should be flopped out on smaller drums. Like most heads on smaller drums, it needs some tension in order to have body. It also might help to pitch the bottom head a 1/2 step above the batter. That should bring out more resonance and take away some of the "flatness" it sounds like you're experiencing.

The G Plus should have more attack and more lows compared to an average single-ply, but not as much as a 2-ply will delivery. It's designed to be a compromise between the two...for players who prefer a single-ply, but need more attack, a lower fundamental, and greater durability.

If you're using moongels on the 14" and 16"...it might just be that you'd be better off with a 2-ply like the G2.

Mike

Mike- what size toms are you referring to? Would G-Plus clear heads over G1 resos be ok on a 10" tom? (And 12 &14 too, i.e. my Pacific CX kit toms, or rather G1 on the racks & G Plus on the 14?) I do usually tune resos a bit higher than the batters- I find it makes the batter heads sing better, and that's the mic' side, so it puts through the PA close to what I hear from the driver's seat position.

You mean what size drum is too small to flop out a G Plus...probably 8" wouldn't sound great with loose tuning...but that's true of any head to some degree. Smaller drums simply need more tension to sing. There's just not enough drum to get resonance and volume on a small shell when the heads are loose.

With a G Plus...if there's not enough tension on the batter (mid-range is fine...doesn't have to be in bop tuning range) or if the bottom head is pitched too low...you might get more batter head sound due to it's increased thickness. Excess batter head sound makes drums sound a little dry.

You'll be in good shape with a 10, 12, 14" configuration...especially if you're tuning the bottoms a little higher. You'll get a dense but resonant tone from the G Plus if you use this configuration.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Back