Quick Torque Cam & Speed Cobra

Scottie15

Hello all,
I recently just purchased a speed cobra for an excellent deal that I could not refuse to replace my 5000s. I also heard about Eccentric Systems' "Quick Torque Cam", which is supposed to provide a more responsive and smooth feel to pedals. My question is that considering the Speed Cobras have the Speedo Ring, the Cobra Coil, and a recessed footboard, does that make them immune, so to speak, of the Quick Torque Cams? Do you think the cams would have any additional effect on the feel of a Speed Cobra?

No experience, but given that this is a replacement for the spring attachment system (which, if it's the same on the speed cobra as iron cobra, is the same as the 5000 in that video), it would have some effect since it upgrades that specific part of the pedal.

FWIW if my DW 9000s were compatible with this system, I probably would have already bought it.

I bought one of these at the Chicago show (2013).

They had a display of 5 or 6 different pedals, all of which I thought felt like s**t (when I've played them at the shop, on on someone's kit) BUT, WITH the QT cam, they all felt great. A BIG difference.

I love the feel of my Elims, and I use the Red cam and strap, so it's pretty fluid to begin with.
I didn't feel much difference at first, but when I played between one with the QTC, and one without, I could really tell the difference.
For one, the spring tension with the QTC is a LOT less--like half as much, for the same power using less effort. I did a little more adjusting, and it really feels better than before, and like I said, I LOVED them before.

I really dig it, and now I'll have to buy them for the other two pedals.

The more I play the pedal with the Quick Torque Cam on it, the more I dig that thing.
Very smooth and fluid, with all the power I had with the spring much tighter.

It was a great purchase.

Your stamp of approval has me intrigued, Karl. I have been playing the same Iron Cobra for close to 10 years now, and I've never really been knocked out by its feel. Its a reliable, well built pedal that I've never quite been happy with. I've been shopping for a new pedal recently, but now I'm considering trying the Quick Torque Cam with my Cobra before I give up on it. I've been thinking about a new Eliminator, as I'm not entirely sure what kind of cam I want (I THINK I want to go back to a round cam). Hmm, decisions, decisions...

I've never seen this Quick Torque Cam before, but it certainly does look interesting. Funny, I have a Speedcobra myself I am now considering trying this out on. Curious.

The IC pedal they had at the show I think was the Rolling Glide. The big clunky one (well...the Flexi is the only IC pedal I think feels good, but people like different things).

That IC pedal, and the Yamaha (I think direct drive, has the new ugly silver foot board) without the cam BOTH felt like peanut butter. "Workable", but not what I would call fluid at all.
Singles were OK, doubles took effort to get clean, forget multiples.
--They were just set normal, not made to feel bad (you could play around & adjust all you liked).

WITH the QTC, they both felt quite good, a BIG difference between what they are without the cam.

The Pearl Demon Drive felt VERY good with the cam, and the clunky DW5000 did too.

I have 2 other Eliminators, and I always bring a back up on gigs, so I am getting at least one more QTC for my back up pedal.

I've never seen this Quick Torque Cam before, but it certainly does look interesting. Funny, I have a Speedcobra myself I am now considering trying this out on. Curious.

Thats my curiosity. Is the QTC more efficient than the speedo-ring and spring that come stock with the speed cobras?

Looking at pics of the SC speedo ring thing, you'd take that whole piece off--looks like by the black allen head screw.
You put a spacer that is included (3 thicknesses) on the shaft that the Connector/Speedo ring went on, to get the QTC and spring lined up straight, then you tighten it down.

There are a couple adjustments you can make on the QTC too, which "open it up" more (or less), depending on the feel you like by playing around with it.

This cam makes everything work more efficiently on the pedal.

That Cobra Coil thing I thought was kinda gimmic-y, but it's actually pretty cool.

There is a list of the few pedals the QTC won't work with on the Eccentric site, so look it up just in case.

The link CreeplyTuna has is a good one on the cam.

I went by what I experienced on pedals I DON'T like, and the QTC made them feel good to me, so I took a shot and am happy I did.

Looking at pics of the SC speedo ring thing, you'd take that whole piece off--looks like by the black allen head screw.
You put a spacer that is included (3 thicknesses) on the shaft that the Connector/Speedo ring went on, to get the QTC and spring lined up straight, then you tighten it down.

There are a couple adjustments you can make on the QTC too, which "open it up" more (or less), depending on the feel you like by playing around with it.

This cam makes everything work more efficiently on the pedal.

That Cobra Coil thing I thought was kinda gimmic-y, but it's actually pretty cool.

There is a list of the few pedals the QTC won't work with on the Eccentric site, so look it up just in case.

The link CreeplyTuna has is a good one on the cam.

I went by what I experienced on pedals I DON'T like, and the QTC made them feel good to me, so I took a shot and am happy I did.

I guess my question is whether or not the QTC would make a huge difference on the Speed Cobras as opposed to the stock Speed Cobra "Speedo Ring" and "Super Spring" set up. The selling point on the QTC is the quickness in response of the footboard returning back to your foot. Does it make much a difference doing that as opposed to the stock settings?

Well, you can spend all day adjusting every little thing on the pedal to get what you want....
I have had no time really on the Speed Cobra, so I can't say it would make a huge difference to your foot or not, but I'm pretty sure it would make it smoother than the stock Speedo ring. My pedal seemed smooth before, but it's really smooth now, without feeling too light.

The only IC I like is the Flexi, and I HATE the Rolling & Power Glide, but the QTC made the RG model feel nice to me.
The long board on the SC feels kinda strange to me. It's not really the foot board itself, it's the angle the chain is on, like it pulls backward or something...

Anyhow...
I could do anything I wanted with the Elim before I put the QTC cam on, as far as doubles and triple strokes. More strokes than 3 were not as clean before the QTC.

I can do 4 or 5 fast single strokes in a row now, cleaner and easier than before, & with way less spring tension. I don't really need to do any of that in the music I play, but it's something to whip out once in a while...

After playing with the QTC on my Eliminator--that I loved BEFORE the QTC-- it was totally worth the money for it. It's an even smoother stroke, and I have all the power with less effort.
A friend of mine got the QTC for his Ludwig ATLAS pedal, and he loves it (WOW!! Amazing! I love this thing!).

I don't know what else I can say, except try it for yourself.
Maybe contact the company direct. The guy was really nice, and cool too. If you don't like it, I'm sure you could return it. He said he wanted everyone to be happy with what he offers.

OK, after a month and a couple weeks of having the QTC cam on the pedal, I will say YES, it will make a difference in the feel of your pedal enough to justify buying one.

Rehearsing yesterday, I noticed just how easy it was to play everything with power, but also play more dynamically and cleanly at ALL levels of volume.

I put the pedal without the QTC back up out of curiosity, and it was a pretty noticeable difference.

I am buying another one for the other pedal this week.

Ordered mine for my Speed Cobra double on July 3rd. Lucas kindly replied that he would send it out the day after the holiday (July 4th). I'm still waiting on it....

I never get those videos where someone pulls the beater forward, releases it and then says, "See, it keeps moving. This is great". Is that a measure of how good a pedal is?

This device, however, looks quite handy and the science seems solid. Whether it suits you could be a matter of taste, but I imagine having your spring tension kick in at the end of the stroke seems advantageous.

Of course, some people like Iron Cobras because they're so heavy feeling throughout. Couldn't hurt to try one though, I would have used it on my Pearl Eliminators if I still had them.

"It's hosses, I say hosses, for cusses, boy-ee. Now get me a mint julep".

Buy me a mint julep, and then I'll talk propane.

The one thing that surprised me with this thing, is how much less tension I have on the spring. It's 3/4 of what it was.

ALL the power is still there, with the feel under my foot the way I like it (where I am controlling it, and can feel it under my foot), but the effort is a lot smoother.

I really noticed it doing shuffle patterns with multiple strokes going for a long period.
It is way easier to do them with the QTC on the pedal than without it.

Ordered mine for my Speed Cobra double on July 3rd. Lucas kindly replied that he would send it out the day after the holiday (July 4th). I'm still waiting on it....

Did you get your cam yet?

I ordered mine on Wed (10th), and got it today. Had it on, and set like the other one in about 5 minutes.

Back