Drum Heads Recommendation

BabyBob

Silver Member
Hello,

I am in need of a recommendation by you guys for my kit. Sizes are the standard rock kit size aka 12"&13" Rack toms 16" Floor Tom, 22"x18" Bass drum and 14"x5.5" Snare. BTW my kit is Mapex M series 2005 model I think.

I am seeking for a rack tom sound like the one in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqmieCY7W8o Really like the tom sound there.

As for the floor tom I want it to be thunderous but yet controlled at the same time, maybe something like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OspZayRNMQ

Love the bass drum and the snare drum sound on this drum mix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vLZvsdEX0Q But I notice he was using acrylic will it be hard to replicate the sound with a wood Kit? Need some head and tuning advice to achieve that sound...

Thanks!
BB

Last edited:
Sounds pretty thin but controlled. I'd say G1 coated over G1 coated or clear and both tuned to the same tension and fairly tight. As for the floor tom, I'd go G Plus coated over G1 coated or clear and both tuned to the same tension and fairly tight as well like the rack toms. Coated over coated gives a pretty controlled thud so if you want a tiny bit more resonance go with clear for the reso's.

Sounds pretty thin but controlled. I'd say G1 coated over G1 coated or clear and both tuned to the same tension and fairly tight. As for the floor tom, I'd go G Plus coated over G1 coated or clear and both tuned to the same tension and fairly tight as well like the rack toms. Coated over coated gives a pretty controlled thud so if you want a tiny bit more resonance go with clear for the reso's.

I agree G2 clear will not give you that sound. Coated fairly tight both sides, Also coated for kick drum and snare of course. Re: the floor tom, the one in the vid is not thunderous.
Controlled yes but high pitched to me. Tune your batter midhigh and your resos much higher than that. Do it in increments until you achieve the sound you want. Just a suggestion.

Sounds pretty thin but controlled. I'd say G1 coated over G1 coated or clear and both tuned to the same tension and fairly tight.

I see, so it's more of a tuning thing then?

As for the floor tom, I'd go G Plus coated over G1 coated or clear and both tuned to the same tension and fairly tight as well like the rack toms. Coated over coated gives a pretty controlled thud so if you want a tiny bit more resonance go with clear for the reso's.

For the floor tom I really like this sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OspZayRNMQ

As for the the bass drum I would like them to sound like the one in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vLZvsdEX0Q

I notice he is using an acrylic kit and will it be hard to replicate the sound?

I agree G2 clear will not give you that sound. Coated fairly tight both sides,

I see. Also BTW

Re: the floor tom, the one in the vid is not thunderous.

Yea because I forgot to put the other vid haha... Here it is for the floor tom : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OspZayRNMQ

Controlled yes but high pitched to me. Tune your batter midhigh and your resos much higher than that. Do it in increments until you achieve the sound you want. Just a suggestion.

But if I tune the resos much higher won't the pitch bend occur? Or in order for me to get the rack tom sound I need to do that? Could someone enlighten me about it?

Hi BabyBob

On the tom link you provided, it sounds like an ambassador/G1 type of head being used there.

For the floor tom and bass drum links you provided, it's more difficult to say, these clips have been processed to hell and back, not a true acoustic sound of the drums, you'll be surprised how they actually sound in "person" with no processing at all.

But yes, tuning is the key, also your style, the way you hit, the sticks and beater type you use, muffling devices, the room, they all affect the sounds, just experiment with tuning until you find the sweet spot, most of the popular head's combos will achieve a good sound.

Hi BabyBob

On the tom link you provided, it sounds like an ambassador/G1 type of head being used there.

I see.

For the floor tom and bass drum links you provided, it's more difficult to say, these clips have been processed to hell and back, not a true acoustic sound of the drums, you'll be surprised how they actually sound in "person" with no processing at all.

Process to hell and back...oh mai...what have I been listening hahah!!!

But yes, tuning is the key, also your style, the way you hit, the sticks and beater type you use, muffling devices, the room, they all affect the sounds, just experiment with tuning until you find the sweet spot, most of the popular head's combos will achieve a good sound.

My style...err mix of a bit of everything with exception to blast beat (Can't do them and IMO sounds boring haha) Well my sticks are Vater Fusion Acorn which I like very much beater is a felt beater no muffling except in bass drum a small pillow just touching both heads.

My style...err mix of a bit of everything with exception to blast beat (Can't do them and IMO sounds boring haha) Well my sticks are Vater Fusion Acorn which I like very much beater is a felt beater no muffling except in bass drum a small pillow just touching both heads.

So you play a bit of everything eh? Sticks are fine, unmuffled is very good :) and a small pillow is fine, providing you're not using a drumhead with some kind of build in muffling device

A proven combo is coated ambassador over clear ambassador, if you prefer a bit more low end you can try clear or coated emperor on top and clear ambassador on the bottom.

For the bass drum a clear emperor for the batter side and a clear/white/black ambassador for the reso side (if you use your little pillow) or you could chosse a drumhead with some kind of muffling within it's design, such as Remo PS3 or Aquarian Superkick II for the batter side, with these you shouldn't need your pillow.

Experiment with the tuning to get the sound as near as possible to what you want, remember that the room plays an important part of the percieved sound, if you change room and the acoustic of the new room is different, your drums will sound different to your ears, it's only when miced that it will sound the same in either rooms.

Also take into consideration that the sound from were you're sitting at the kit is not the same sound 10 feet away in front of the kit, and you can't be behind and in front at the same time, but as a general rule the sound from behind the drum (were you play) should be very open and almost resonate too much, otherwise, chances are the sound will be dead 3 feet away from the drums in the front.

Good luck, have fun and keep us updated :)

LOL!

You went from wanting a rack tom sound that was used in the 1950's, to an extremely deep aggressive floor tom sound in present time as well as a punchy bass drum sound from current times lol!

Consider my mind = blown! :p

Yea I love contrast heheh xD

Honestly you can't go by those other video's you posted, for the most part anyway. You are not hearing the drums or drum heads in their natural state (as much as you are in that 1950's Jazz song). You are hearing the drums after they are EQ'd. Trust me, look up video's on Youtube of before and after drum mic and EQ video's. If you find a good one (and I know there is as I seen it a few weeks ago) you will be blown away at the differences.

So all this time the records I've been listening is a Big Lie? D:

TBTH here, it's all comon sense on the type of sound you want especially when wanting that kind of sound without using mic's. Thin on thin for bright sounds and thick on thick for deep aggressive sounds. If you want even more of a deep aggressive sound go coated over coated. Something like coated Emperor or Pinstripe over coated Emperor to try something crazy on the floor tom. Or try coated Emperor over Ambassador X which is coated as well.

I see, Thin or Thick is the thickness of the heads right? Like 10mil 14mil and such? Basically I don't want it to ring forever even when I'm not using muffling.

If you plan to mic your drums, you can and should go with the most simple of drum heads and will be able to make it sound like something from the pits of hell! The natural note of each drum will be able to be EQ'd into what ever you want. If you go too thick of a drum head, when mic'ing it will have too much attack and you won't get any tone from the drum. That's why you see, with drums in the studio, everything has single ply heads including the bass drum with no falam pads, moon gel or anything. It all gets taken care of through the EQ boards. They throw brand new heads on and leave it pure for recording, everything can get filtered out that you don't want to hear.

Basically the kit I'm looking for head replacement now is a giging kit. Usually I gig with minimal mic-ing( 1 over head and 1 about 1~2 feet from the bass drum aiming slightly above the bass drum) Some times I gig with out mics so the heads I need to get must be quite versatile.

Owh wow...that's a huge difference there...

Last edited:
Were do you buy your skins in KL?
I find that both Bentley and JS Music have a very limited selection.

thx

jorn

Hi,

I sometimes get from Bentley Damansara sometimes JS Music but usually I get from a great buddy of mine who sold me his HH Fusion Hats. PM me for more info :D

Hope I've help :)

I'd say Fibersky over G1 coated.

Hmm alright will keep that in mind Thanks C:

I can agree with that, it's pretty well processed lol. Though it was just to show baby bob my point of not relying on drums with heavy EQ or processing or whatever when it comes to getting a sound that you like. Mad About Drums said the same thing.

I see but it is still possible to achieve the sound like that of those in the vids without Post Processing and Heavy EQ right?

I'm still a bit lost hahaha!

So you play a bit of everything eh? Sticks are fine, unmuffled is very good :) and a small pillow is fine, providing you're not using a drumhead with some kind of build in muffling device

Owh BTW I forgot to tell you guys currently I'm using the heads that come with the kit when I bought it used they are... Remo Clear Ambassador over Clear Ambassador for my toms,Clear PS3 over stock Reso Head and Remo Coated Ambassador over Clear Ambassador.

The reason I'm changing is because I find that they don't sound that well anymore (Are they dying?) Also I would like to try something else for a change.

A proven combo is coated ambassador over clear ambassador, if you prefer a bit more low end you can try clear or coated emperor on top and clear ambassador on the bottom.

For the bass drum a clear emperor for the batter side and a clear/white/black ambassador for the reso side (if you use your little pillow) or you could chosse a drumhead with some kind of muffling within it's design, such as Remo PS3 or Aquarian Superkick II for the batter side, with these you shouldn't need your pillow.

I see, but wouldn't a SK II sound too dead? It is a 2ply head am I right?

Experiment with the tuning to get the sound as near as possible to what you want, remember that the room plays an important part of the percieved sound, if you change room and the acoustic of the new room is different, your drums will sound different to your ears, it's only when miced that it will sound the same in either rooms.

Hmm I see, so how can I improve my acoustic of my drum room? Also if I improve my
acoustics in my drum room will my drum sound better? Or it is just a slight change?

Also take into consideration that the sound from were you're sitting at the kit is not the same sound 10 feet away in front of the kit, and you can't be behind and in front at the same time, but as a general rule the sound from behind the drum (were you play) should be very open and almost resonate too much, otherwise, chances are the sound will be dead 3 feet away from the drums in the front.

Good luck, have fun and keep us updated :)

I see so it is rather impossible to make the sound from where I'm sitting sound the same as where the audience is seated with out the use of mics?

I see but it is still possible to achieve the sound like that of those in the vids without Post Processing and Heavy EQ right?

I'm still a bit lost hahaha!

Yes BabyBob, with tuning and patience you can reproduce the sound of a processed and EQ'ed drums, you might need some moongel (muffling) on the floor tom to get that deep focussed sound you like, and you can tune your kit so it sound similar to the vids from behind the drums too if you play alone.

The good thing about moongel, you can put it and remove it as you please.

Yes BabyBob, with tuning and patience you can reproduce the sound of a processed and EQ'ed drums, you might need some moongel (muffling) on the floor tom to get that deep focussed sound you like, and you can tune your kit so it sound similar to the vids from behind the drums too if you play alone.

The good thing about moongel, you can put it and remove it as you please.

Alright will include some Moongel when I buy my heads :) Thanks .

I see, but wouldn't a SK II sound too dead? It is a 2ply head am I right?

Yes, it's a 2 ply head, there's a SK I too, single ply head. It's all depends what sound you want, but from the vid you provided, an SK II with good tuning and no added muffling should sound good.

Hmm I see, so how can I improve my acoustic of my drum room? Also if I improve my acoustics in my drum room will my drum sound better? Or it is just a slight change?

Depends on the room, some rooms have good acoustics, and some rooms "resonate" too much, it's a matter of cutting the rebound of the sound from the walls, or alternatively, you tune the kit according to the room.

I see so it is rather impossible to make the sound from where I'm sitting sound the same as where the audience is seated with out the use of mics?

That's correct, your kit will sound different from the audience than how it sound to you from the driving seat.

You can ask one of your band mates to play the kit while you're standing 10 ft away in front of the kit, he/she would not hit the kit the same way as you, but it will give you an idea.

Yes, it's a 2 ply head, there's a SK I too, single ply head. It's all depends what sound you want, but from the vid you provided, an SK II with good tuning and no added muffling should sound good.

I see.

Depends on the room, some rooms have good acoustics, and some rooms "resonate" too much, it's a matter of cutting the rebound of the sound from the walls, or alternatively, you tune the kit according to the room.

I think my room is okay...maybe cuz it's the only room I've played my drums for my whole drumming life...hmmm what say you?

That's correct, your kit will sound different from the audience than how it sound to you from the driving seat.

You can ask one of your band mates to play the kit while you're standing 10 ft away in front of the kit, he/she would not hit the kit the same way as you, but it will give you an idea.

Aww man, so how can I make it sound good to me and the audience(I read somewhere maybe here that if going with no mics one must tune her kit higher abit so it can project further)? How will I even know how the audience like my drums to sound? LOL

I think my room is okay...maybe cuz it's the only room I've played my drums for my whole drumming life...hmmm what say you?

Mmmh... I can't suggest anything BabyBob, I never seen or been in your room :)

... but if you think it's OK, it's fine.

Aww man, so how can I make it sound good to me and the audience(I read somewhere maybe here that if going with no mics one must tune her kit higher abit so it can project further)? How will I even know how the audience like my drums to sound? LOL

A good souding drums from both side of the kit is a matter of getting use to the sound from your side once it's been established that the drums sounds good from the front.

You will know how good your kit sounds from feedback from the audience and/or your band mates. You can also record yourself using a Zoom Q3, it's a pretty accurate recording.

Mmmh... I can't suggest anything BabyBob, I never seen or been in your room :)

... but if you think it's OK, it's fine.

A good souding drums from both side of the kit is a matter of getting use to the sound from your side once it's been established that the drums sounds good from the front.

You will know how good your kit sounds from feedback from the audience and/or your band mates. You can also record yourself using a Zoom Q3, it's a pretty accurate recording.

I see alright thanks for the advice C:

Back