recording equipment

nirvanadrummer

Im new to recording, and for christmas i plan on getting some kinda recording equipment, and i was wondering what kinda of stuff i need to get and for how much would that be approx.

Well the first question is what are you looking to record? Yourself, band, individual instruments? What is your desired final output that you want to use the recordings for?

The obvious is mics, mic stands or mounts, recording software, digital interface for your computer, a powered mixer of some type.

Well the first question is what are you looking to record? Yourself, band, individual instruments? What is your desired final output that you want to use the recordings for?

The obvious is mics, mic stands or mounts, recording software, digital interface for your computer, a powered mixer of some type.

well, im looking to record myself, for covers, and stuff for my band. what do you think about using garage band for the recording software? just temporarily though

This is my setup:

- Crappy PC with fast hard drive
- TASCAM 1800 (8x XLR inputs, 8x 1/4" inputs) $249
- CAD Premium Tour 7-piece mic set $199
- Shure SM57 (snare) $100
- Mk1000 kick mic (the CAD one sucks) $50
- 8x XLR cables $120
- 2x boom mic stands $70
- 1x kick mic stand $35
- 1x snare mic stand $35
- Reaper recording software (free, but can purchase license)

Roughly $850, not including the PC cost. This is a pretty basic setup, but I can get some great results with my "home studio". Check out my YouTube or Soundcloud links in my signature to see/hear some samples.

Never used GarageBand, but I love Reaper. Great control, layout, as well as plug-in support.

I'll post a pic once I've downloaded them from my camera!

I'm still surprised why not more people are into products like the Zoom R16 and R24. I got mine a little over a year ago and love it. For the most part, I like eliminating the computer from the equation and only in the mix-down stage do I send those tracks into the computer for final tweaking.

My R16 will record 8-tracks simultaneously (and record 16 total, the R24 will do 8-in, and 24 total), all recorded to SD card. Between that, and if you added a two-track recorder, like a Zoom Q3HD, that you'll do your videos we all like to watch on, you have a very powerful little studio to mix-down to. It just makes sense to me to eliminate all the stuff between the sound of your instruments and the final product. Less of a headache.

But that's just me ;)

I'm still surprised why not more people are into products like the Zoom R16 and R24. I got mine a little over a year ago and love it. For the most part, I like eliminating the computer from the equation and only in the mix-down stage do I send those tracks into the computer for final tweaking.

My R16 will record 8-tracks simultaneously (and record 16 total, the R24 will do 8-in, and 24 total), all recorded to SD card. Between that, and if you added a two-track recorder, like a Zoom Q3HD, that you'll do your videos we all like to watch on, you have a very powerful little studio to mix-down to. It just makes sense to me to eliminate all the stuff between the sound of your instruments and the final product. Less of a headache.

But that's just me ;)

good point Bo! Quick google search the Zoom R16 can be had for $359 just scanning a few on the first page

two good overhead condenser mic's and a good bass drum mic will be a good starting point for mics.

good point Bo! Quick google search the Zoom R16 can be had for $359 just scanning a few on the first page

two good overhead condenser mic's and a good bass drum mic will be a good starting point for mics.

yeah...actually ive been thinking about starting off with one or two overheads and building on that, just running that through garage band temporarily?

yeah...actually ive been thinking about starting off with one or two overheads and building on that, just running that through garage band temporarily?

You are going to need some type of interface to hook the mic's up to so you can get the sound into your computer.

You are going to need some type of interface to hook the mic's up to so you can get the sound into your computer.

Actually, the R16 also acts as an interface into the computer when you delve deeper into it. So you're set there. The Zoom is two things really, an interface into the computer, or a stand alone recorder. I record my tracks with it then dump those tracks into my Mac for mix down.

Actually, the R16 also acts as an interface into the computer when you delve deeper into it. So you're set there. The Zoom is two things really, an interface into the computer, or a stand alone recorder. I record my tracks with it then dump those tracks into my Mac for mix down.

Right but I think the OP was thinking he was just going to hook up mic's to his computer and use garage band to edit. That's why I mentioned an interface to go from Mic to computer. That R16 is a sweet little deal and the price isn't that bad for what it is.

Right but I think the OP was thinking he was just going to hook up mic's to his computer and use garage band to edit. That's why I mentioned an interface to go from Mic to computer. That R16 is a sweet little deal and the price isn't that bad for what it is.

you sir, are correct. I see now i was wrong in assuming that... but i dont really have the money for an r16

You'll need something like this.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-...el-Audio-MIDI-Interface-105631592-i1474245.gc

Or

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-iO2-Express-Audio-Interface-105918080-i1533961.gc

I've never used one of zoom handy recorders but that may be an option to look at as well right now.

Edit: you were replying to Bo at the same time I was typing LOL!!. If you are looking at just one mic and an interface you might look into those zoom handy recorders.
yeah those look more like what im thinking of. Would i still need an interface with that?

Back