What drum rug do you prefer???????

Industrial floor/entrance mats (probably similar to the "Taco Bell" door mat mentioned earlier) work really well, the ones with the nice rubber bottom. Never slip or lose their ability to lay flat. Unfortunately they are kind of heavy and can be quite expensive to buy new. If you can find a place that is going out of business Im sure you could get one from them on the cheap. I found a lady at a flea market selling all kinds of sizes of these for pretty cheap. They were previously used but had been laundered. I bought one, good find. Ask around at flea markets, I think this might be like a thing that some people do.

I use this. The bass drum doesn't budge.

41Exk7NRAfL.jpg

I've got a Proection Racket Drum Mat. I used to use just a carpet leftover bit, but it soon became all too obvious and annoying that it really wasn't meant for live use. It didn't comfortably fold in half after being rolled up, which meant that it needed a lot of space in my car. It also didn't want to lie flat on the ground after being rolled out.

Invested in a proper drum rug, and now I'm much happier! The carpet leftover would serve me well if my kit didn't move, but I needed something a bit more suitable.

Anti Slippery Rug from Home Depot it was like $15 bucks
I like it 'cause nothin will move, is nailed to the floor

Attachments

• 167951_10100641221458871_2051947_74837551_7924300_n.jpg
    167951_10100641221458871_2051947_74837551_7924300_n.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 17,522
Industrial floor/entrance mats (probably similar to the "Taco Bell" door mat mentioned earlier) work really well, the ones with the nice rubber bottom. Never slip or lose their ability to lay flat. Unfortunately they are kind of heavy and can be quite expensive to buy new. If you can find a place that is going out of business Im sure you could get one from them on the cheap. I found a lady at a flea market selling all kinds of sizes of these for pretty cheap. They were previously used but had been laundered. I bought one, good find. Ask around at flea markets, I think this might be like a thing that some people do.
I agree with this. I use a heavy industrial mat with rubber base. Really thick. I know it's damn heavy, but it's the best thing I've ever used. It's great on uneven surfaces too, sort of levels things out nicely.

I've been using a 4' x 6' rubber backed carpet that I bought at Target for $20 for about two years now. I mark all my stand positions with masking tape for ease of set-up. I've got a little over-hang, but nothing moves and it's held up pretty well.

Attachments

• IMG_1294_2.jpg
    IMG_1294_2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 20,665

Find the places that supply them, someone like Unifirst, Cintas or Aramark. Ask them for an old torn up one, they'll probably give you one for free. That's where mine came from. They toss tons of them that get damaged. Mine is missing a small piece of a corner.

I use a thick moving blanket that I have all my gear placement marks on. It's like you see from the moving companies. It's thick enough large enough & at the same time soft enough so I can wrap around some of my drums when I move them because I don't have cases.

Works out great!

I use a product that was out years ago called Pad-A-Drum.
It's basically high quality carpet pad that has a special coating applied, and it's Black.

It was for sale in the drum mags, but never caught on.

The supplier is only a couple miles from where I work.

The rug is superb, and you can put an older kit with the small rubber gull wing tips on it, play as hard as you want, and it won't move because of the coating.

It's durable, and I'm on my second one in about 18 years (the first one is under my kit at my rehearsal house).
Nice indoor/outdoor carpet from Lowes works well too, but the coating on the Pad-A-Drum rug is really great.

I cannot recommend the Gretsch rug at all - it is terrible
- does not lay flat
- has fluff and dust fall out of it
waste of good money!!

the logo looks ok though.....

Anyone use the fake lawn stuff for patios/mini golf? My area rug tends to keep it's folds/rolled edges after transport, that stuff doesn't seem to have any backbone to it and is super thin.

Worst case you can practice your putting during set breaks.

+1 on the Home Depot rug. Mine's dark charcoal, almost black, and IIRC about 5'x8'. I bought it about 4 years ago for around $20 and it's holding up well. Nothing moves on it, but I have taken the rubber tips off the kick legs so the points stick into the carpet. It's got a good, thick rubber backing. I mark stand placement on it with a white permanent marker. It stays on and is somewhat unobtrusive. Would definitely, definitely buy another if the time ever comes.

Last edited:
I've always thought it was pretty ridiculous that there are companies that actually make "drum rugs." What could possibly be the difference between an $80 "drum rug" and a $20 plain-old rug?

I Googled drum rugs and found six of them, none of which cost less than $40! "Your drum kit will stay exactly where you put it."

Are you kidding?

Anti Slippery Rug from Home Depot it was like $15 bucks
I like it 'cause nothin will move, is nailed to the floor

I use a 4 x 6 rubber backed anti-slip rug as well. Got mine at Lowes for 39 bux and you can fold it/roll it up and no problems. Very thin and very durable.

F

i just put duct tape under my stands and they dont move at all

Hi Guys... I'm new to drumming and was hoping someone could give me some advice regarding how to stop my bass pad and pedals from moving; I've used carpets and Velcro with no joy. I have the Roland TD12 Edrum kit on a tiled floor, i have seen this product called rhinokickstay looks to good to be true.... and was wondering if anybody has used one or has seen it..... love to hear what you think

Thanks guys

I've been using a 4' x 6' rubber backed carpet that I bought at Target for $20 for about two years now. I mark all my stand positions with masking tape for ease of set-up. I've got a little over-hang, but nothing moves and it's held up pretty well.

That's creepy..we have the same rug..aha

I am using 2x though!

d.jpg

+2 or +3 (or whatever it is now) on the charcoal indoor-outdoor stuff from the do-it-yerself stores. Buy it in bulk off the roll, and cut it into whatever size(s) you need. I buy a piece big enough to get 4 mats out of it. That way you can keep one at home, one at your rehearsal, use one in your car so the cases don't scratch it up, whatever... I like to keep extras in the garage, because my dogs will occasionally use my mat for a toilet.

Back