Vic Firth Legacy Brushes :(

evilg99

Platinum Member
I'm a big Vic Firth fan, been using their sticks for decades now...7a,5a,5b,HD1.

Just got a new gig with a lounge/swing/pop band and was high time for a new set of brushes.

I was quite excited to try out the Vic Firth Legacy brushes...great feel wood handles and retractable. Awesome!

Or maybe not....

First pair went back after one rehearsal...rubber stopper on the butt end was pulling out when trying to retract them, taking everything with them them. Right, no problem, swapped for a new pair that was OK at the store...
One week later, another rehearsal and the exact same thing. 0 for 2 in practically no playing time. Back they go tomorrow.
I'm not rough on them, not doing anything out of the ordinary.

Anybody else have problems with these 'almost awesome' brushes?

Neal

I'm a big Vic Firth fan, been using their sticks for decades now...7a,5a,5b,HD1.

Just got a new gig with a lounge/swing/pop band and was high time for a new set of brushes.

I was quite excited to try out the Vic Firth Legacy brushes...great feel wood handles and retractable. Awesome!

Or maybe not....

First pair went back after one rehearsal...rubber stopper on the butt end was pulling out when trying to retract them, taking everything with them them. Right, no problem, swapped for a new pair that was OK at the store...
One week later, another rehearsal and the exact same thing. 0 for 2 in practically no playing time. Back they go tomorrow.
I'm not rough on them, not doing anything out of the ordinary.

Anybody else have problems with these 'almost awesome' brushes?

Neal

Yes I have. 2 different pair actually.

On my first pair I pulled the shaft completely out of the wooden handle when I retracted the brush. That was after not even a week of use.

My second pair was so tight that I could barely get either brush to retract or extend. I practically had to use pliers to get them to move.

I ended up retruning them and getting the Regal Tip Jeff Hamilton brushes. No wooden handle, but a similar wire gauge.

Sounds like the wooden ones that do not retract are the key to success here

yes, maybe i will try non-retractible brushes...worried about the bristles getting all screwed up in transport though...

Neal

I've had mine for a while and haven't had any issues with them.

They are not the primary brush model I use (Heritages) but I have used them in the drum room and experimenting with different gauges.

They do feel a bit tight when extending/retracting.

Jim

Hmmm, I was really considering the Legacy brushes because I don't like the feel of a rubber handle. Glad I didn't blow $25 on those things.

I had a pair of fairly basic retractable VF brushes years ago and didn't have a problem. Maybe it's just a design flaw. I'll definitely have to test out a few models next time I'm at a decent store.

Well,a good outcome : returned legacy brushes, got the Vic Firth Jazz brushes, the white ones :

THESE

Stiff heavy-ish bristles but they still feel good and have some snap as well as swoosh.
The hard plastic handles are great for rim shots.

The lighter fare version would be what Jim is using, the Heritage brush.

These Jazz brushes have a much smoother 'retraction action'. Had a great rehearsal with these.
// case closed. I hope :)

Neal

Well,a good outcome : returned legacy brushes, got the Vic Firth Jazz brushes, the white ones :

THESE

Stiff heavy-ish bristles but they still feel good and have some snap as well as swoosh.
The hard plastic handles are great for rim shots.

The lighter fare version would be what Jim is using, the Heritage brush.

These Jazz brushes have a much smoother 'retraction action'. Had a great rehearsal with these.
// case closed. I hope :)

Neal

You will probably enjoy those.

I have a pair that I use primarily in the practice room or the occasional louder outdoor gig. I found them to be almost too heavy and stiff for regular use. They are really loud on a brand new head. But like you said, the handles are great for rim shots.

The Jeff Hamilton brushes which are my "heavy" pair are slightly lighter in gauge...about the same as the Legacy brushes. I use the Heritage brushes on most gigs.

You will probably enjoy those.

I have a pair that I use primarily in the practice room or the occasional louder outdoor gig. I found them to be almost too heavy and stiff for regular use. They are really loud on a brand new head. But like you said, the handles are great for rim shots.

The Jeff Hamilton brushes which are my "heavy" pair are slightly lighter in gauge...about the same as the Legacy brushes. I use the Heritage brushes on most gigs.

Thanks for the recommendations. I will likely pick up a lighter pair as well,quite possibly the Heritage brushes.

Neal

I own quite a few pairs of brushes ( all Calato/ Regal Tip oddly enough).

My current two favourites are :
Non- retractable handle - XL Model - hickory handled brush longer brush than normal.
Retractable Model- Ed Thigpen signature , hybrid wood/rubber handled brush, nice spread, medium thickness bristles.

Honorable Mention goes to :
Non-retractable - Clayton Cameron - was my original favourite, but I prefer the wood handle of the XL
Retractable - Jeff Hamilton - thicker bristles, I generally use these for my Big Band gigs because they cut through all the horns well.

RickP,

I really like the Ed Thigpen brushes too. Are the rubber ends out on yours and do the wooden handles spin around? I'd like to get another set, but am worried the same thing will happen.

I did like the Jeff Hamilton brushes, but am finding them too loud (really ... brushes too loud??) when I play with an acoustic trio.

Cheers,
radman

I've got several sets of brushes and use them a lot. The Vic Firth Heritage brushes are my favorites though.

i had a set (well, actually, still do) of the white plastic-handled retractable jazz brushes

but the black rubber cap at the handle end completely dissolved into a gooey mess after about 8 years, so.... ?

I've been playing those Regal Tip black rubber gripped retractable ones all my life (I'm probably on my tenth pair by now) and love those. I tend to put bends in various places on the retracting handle so they stop at different points depending on what I need. I've never tried anybody elses' brushes in the three decades I've been playing.

No Regal Tip for you?

The non-retractable wood ones look cool, but you have no control how much wire 'spray' you get. It's all or nothing. I like to shorten them, or open them wide, depending on what the music needs. Check out Steve Gadd, he totally alters the length of his brushes, as did all the jazz masters before him.

Last edited:
yes, maybe i will try non-retractible brushes...worried about the bristles getting all screwed up in transport though...

Neal
Thats what paper towel rolls are for . Drop both in there for transport. They are cheap to replace.

Back