Impulsive Gear Purchase Regrets

Bar none it's the Gibraltar Ultra Adjust Hi Hat Stand. Very sloppy action, the hats spun like a top, and the bottom hat stayed as crooked as a bag of snakes. It did allow for a comfy set up with the double pedal but that was negated when I moved from 3 rack toms to 2. So that thing is on the list...Craigslist that is.

I used to have the occasional second or two of regret, but not anymore. I just spent a very large amount of money on two beautiful snares so having regrets doesn't come into it anymore.

1. Hydraulic heads

2. Cowbell

3. Jam Block

4. SuperKick II Bass Drum Head

5. 14'' B8 Thin Crash

6. 16'' ZBT Crash

Most of these regretted purchases were because of those demonic salesmen at Guitar Center...DANG IT!

2. Cowbell

There's no way you can regret that... the only thing you should regret is that you don't have more cowbell!!

cowbell.jpg

I bought some Shure SCL2 sound isolating earphones for $100 and I hate them. I think the sound of my ipod earbuds are better. I will stick with my Extreme Isolation cans from here on out.

I have no real regrets, mostly due to the fact that 99% of drummers are gear addicts too.

If an item does not meet my needs, I can usually easily sell it, and immediately buy another piece of gear, that may or may not meet my needs.

It is a vicious cycle, but lots of fun.

Speaking of gear that does not meet my needs, anybody want a 14-inch Paiste Rude Crash/Ride? (Yes, I said Crash/Ride, and I have no idea why Paiste marketed it that way.)

Blimey, i've brought loads of gear i havent really used. A pearl secondary Hi-hat thing with bracket (that was about £50). A Zildjian ZHT 14" total china (£80 and im dont use zildjian).A Gilbraltar Rack with loads of clamps/memory locks from a drum fair, Never even used it once! its on ebay if anyone's interested lol ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GILBRALTA-HEA...ryZ41454QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ) Moon Gel (dont even use the stuff?) Stick grip. Loads of sets of heads that i cant get on with (but if you dont try em, you dont know so thats not a regret :) i'll get back to you when i remember more ;-)

last november i needed a new crash to replace my cracked 17" a custom. i got a 17" a custom projection for $210. god awful sounding cymbal. its sounded amazing in guitar center and even sounded ok when i got back home but after a month or so i hated it.

sold it on ebay for $117 in december.

All of my cymbals up until I started purchasing Bosphoruses. (ZBT Pack, PST 5s, RUDE China).
But even then, I've never been too too pleased with my 17" Bosphorus Traditional Crash. It's much duller than my 19" Master Crash.

Remo Ebony Ambassadors were also a junky purchase. I should have just gone with regular Pinstripes, or something Coated.

Oh, and Ahead sticks. What garbage. I love my Vaters!

Last edited:
In the late 80's I bought a Zildjian 18" Z series Power Smash. It looked like a china cymbal and sounded like a train wreck. Thank goodness they dropped this one from their line .

I have way more gear than I could ever use at one time, but I know eventually I'll be in a situation where i'll need something I have now. I'd rather buy things when the opportunity is there and have them when i need them than regret the purchase, sell the item and then a month down the road NOT have it available. Case in point, the 10' DW 5000 remote hat I found in a pawn shop. I used it 2 times before that band broke up and haven't mounted it on anything since, but I'll need it someday! (i hope)

The only thing I regret buying is a set of Nady drum microphones. CRAPTASTIC. They were horrible.

That is one good thing about drums... low resale.
Its easy to hold on to stuff. The personal value on equipment is usually way more than its resale value, even if i dont use something at the moment.
Especially cymbals.

I picked up a 22" Dark Energy Mark II ride a while back from eBay. They aren't kidding when they say "dark".
I played it for about a week, but had to sell it. It's a great jazz cymbal, but wayyyy too woody sounding for anything else.

A while a go I bought an Xs20 rock cymbal pack plus an 18" Xs20 rock crash with the intension of playing them for a year or two and then upgrading. I ended up playing them for about a month and a half before trading all but the 18" crash in. I guess the moral of the story is if you have the money to buy pro cymbals, do it.

...I have three other DW kits.

I have my wmp 24, 16, 13, a wmp 18, 14, 12, and a black oyster 22, 16, 13. I like all of those kits more than the 20, 16, 12 tiger ash kit.

Barry

But NOW, you have a bass drum in each of the 4 most popular sizes :)

I guess if I had to regret something, it wou'd be the 16" Z Rock Crash............ The thing was LOUDER then anything I've ever heard, painfully so. Traded it for a couple Bells.
Years earlier I bought a 20" Z Power Crash, and actually used it several years before trading it.

I had a 10" Gretsch Steel side snare on my previous kit. It was a great snare, but I really had no need for a side snare at all. It was bought on a whim, without any analysis of what my actual needs were, and what my drumming style required. I also had an 8" Meinl Amun splash that I never used much, but I only paid around 15 bucks or so for it, and it did sound good, so I never really regretted that.

Other than that, I haven't been too bad when it comes to buying drum stuff. I constantly browse online drum shops and make wishlists and such, but I've been a good boy so far. The fact that I live with my girlfriend probably helps a lot, since I have another person I need to answer to when it comes to spending money. If I was single, my apartment would probably be full of gear I'd never use.

Here's the snare in question:
gretsch_snare.jpg

Back