I may be an apartment dweller before too long.

I advise you to go over to vdrums.com and hit up their boards. I got a lot of help when I put together my "apartment kit". Also be aware that even an e-kit might not be quiet enough for most apartments. I was lucky enough to get an apartment with a detached garage, and as long as I keep it in there, I haven't gotten any complaints yet.

By the way, those alesis pads are terrible, and certainly some of the most noisy. I'd suggest you stick with Yammy, Roland, 2box.

I advise you to go over to vdrums.com and hit up their boards. I got a lot of help when I put together my "apartment kit". Also be aware that even an e-kit might not be quiet enough for most apartments. I was lucky enough to get an apartment with a detached garage, and as long as I keep it in there, I haven't gotten any complaints yet.

By the way, those alesis pads are terrible, and certainly some of the most noisy. I'd suggest you stick with Yammy, Roland, 2box.

Thanks, I'll head over there. I appreciate the advice. And I trust you, since you're a doctor.

Definitely have some carpet, silicone or rubber under the kick pad and pedal, because that's mainly what the neighbors hear. Most eKits are fine in an apartment during the day, but none are really quiet enough at night when people are asleep, except maybe the new TrapKAT.

Yamaha textured silicone drums are the quietest, but then there are the rubber cymbals that are not so quiet!

Why not get a Zendrum ZX and trigger a Roland TD20? If you're going to play something that can't replicate an acoustic set, I suggest you not even approach it that way. I did long ago, and I loved it. Then I came to my senses ;)

I was in the same situation as you last year. I got the Roland TD-4KX2. (http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=1152&ParentId=60) I was lucky enough to find someone on CL who needed cash immediately and I got it for $900 in great condition. I think they are more expensive new, although I am sure you could talk Guitar Center down into selling it to you for $1000. And yes, the Roland has a Midi out

It's a great kit, and the mesh heads feel pretty realistic considering its an entry level kit. They also make it a lot quieter. I looked around far and wide for the best deal under $1K and this is it. This is the best value for your money.

I also don't think noise will be a problem. I have asked my neighbors repeatedly if they can hear my kit (I even play it through a small amp) and no one has any idea that I play drums.

If you want to go super cheap, you could get Rock Band. ha!

Also be aware that even an e-kit might not be quiet enough for most apartments.
I second that and i owned a TD4K so i know. That beater is pretty noisy, indeed it is so noisy that it annoyed the shit out of anybody within 25 meters of me! In fact i now have an acoustic kit and play with brushes, with which i disturbs no one long as i go easy on the kick drum. Unfortunately i chipped in a couple of hundred box when i sold my TD-4K but i am still happy that i did.

So don't be misled: the TD-4K may be well worth the money while it's in store, but once you have it and want to sell it later, it sure as hell ain't anymore! Plus electronic kits are a whole lot more noisier than you think and since not wanting to disturb your neighbors is your main reason you want an e-kit, you might just want to reconsider it!

I have it on good authority that the new Roland TD11 and TD15 are pretty neat. And apparently they are being introduced at the same price point as the models they are replacing, the TD4 and TD9. I've also been told you can buy an attachment that wirelessly connects to an iPhone/pad/device and can do all sorts of nifty things via the app. There is probably more info out there if you have a good look.

Hi
I just went through this....I offer the following advice:
Made a drum room out of a large closet! Put heavy industrial mats on the floor. AC unit in the window( yes the closet has a window!)
Set up Roland set(I believe it's a TD-10, the lowest end kit with the builtin pedals. I also set up a set of Peral Rhythmm Travelers, live heads, small ride,small crash and hi hat.
Also have music stands, shelving, and electronics IPad,metrone, cd player.
Subject to time of day and what I'm working on dictates which kit I use. the Roland kit is very effective for working out song and tracks.
Denis

I second that and i owned a TD4K so i know. That beater is pretty noisy, indeed it is so noisy that it annoyed the shit out of anybody within 25 meters of me! In fact i now have an acoustic kit and play with brushes, with which i disturbs no one long as i go easy on the kick drum. Unfortunately i chipped in a couple of hundred box when i sold my TD-4K but i am still happy that i did.

So don't be misled: the TD-4K may be well worth the money while it's in store, but once you have it and want to sell it later, it sure as hell ain't anymore! Plus electronic kits are a whole lot more noisier than you think and since not wanting to disturb your neighbors is your main reason you want an e-kit, you might just want to reconsider it!

Your experience is much different than mine. It are not totally silent, but my TD-4k (with mesh heads) sits right next to our TV and my girlfriend can watch TV while I play the drums and she says it doesnt really disturb her much. I play pretty hard too. Do you not have the mesh heads? I think that probably makes a big difference.

Back