Anyone else have trouble first learning this rythm?

tkav1980

http://drummerworld.com/Videos/stevesmithcreativedrumpatterns.html

Ive been working on it for 3 days and I can do the hi hat with the hand and the foot on 123&4, while playing the snare rythm. OR, the hi hat, base drum beat with the snare on 2 &4 but for the love of god putting them together has been a pain. Ive slowed it down so that at 40 BPM an 8th note gets a beat but trying to get it up to speed and having it groove is a pain.

I'll just keep it slow until I get it but any tips are appreciated.

Thanks for linking that, might try and learn that myself :)

Only tip I would give you is stay as relaxed as possible, that is what will be the key to getting the speed on a groove like this.

there is no trick to it brother...just practice

try writing it out ....a lot of times that helps me make sense of things I'm trying to play , it will help you separate the parts before you put them back together as one

Ive been working on it for 3 days and I can do the hi hat with the hand and the foot on 123&4, while playing the snare rythm. OR, the hi hat, base drum beat with the snare on 2 &4 but for the love of god putting them together has been a pain. Ive slowed it down so that at 40 BPM an 8th note gets a beat but trying to get it up to speed and having it groove is a pain.

Only thing I can add is keep it slow until your can do it in your sleep and then gradualy speed it up. When you get confident play it at full speed. Keep at and you'll get it.

Only thing I can add is keep it slow until your can do it in your sleep and then gradualy speed it up. When you get confident play it at full speed. Keep at and you'll get it.

absolutely

this is the fun of learning things in my opinion

I for one LOVE sitting for hours working out something that seems so difficult at first and slowly becomes easy

like I tell my students all the time......all we do in here is take weaknesses and make them strengths

I do this with my students all the time. When they can't get a full part I make them put a hand behind their back (or remove a foot etc.) until they get the "cut down" part right, then slowly introduce another limb until your brain and muscle memory has it right. Don't get upset >>> You're doing things right.

there is no trick to it brother...just practice

try writing it out ....a lot of times that helps me make sense of things I'm trying to play , it will help you separate the parts before you put them back together as one

Yeah it's just gonna take some time. The frustrating part really is that 10 years ago before my lay off I could have sight read this with no problem.
Thanks for linking that, might try and learn that myself :)

Only tip I would give you is stay as relaxed as possible, that is what will be the key to getting the speed on a groove like this.

I love it, it's got this crazy underlying drive to it that is just screaming " do something really wierd with this!"
It's funny, even at work I can see the pattern written out in my head and just go over and over it. I'll nail it it's just a matter of when.
I do this with my students all the time. When they can't get a full part I make them put a hand behind their back (or remove a foot etc.) until they get the "cut down" part right, then slowly introduce another limb until your brain and muscle memory has it right. Don't get upset >>> You're doing things right.

Thanks man. I may actually split it up a bit different. I had an idea driving to work of just really getting the snare and base drum flowing and slowly adding the hand in on the hi hat with ever increasing complexity until I get it all together. Im also thinking i may be practicing it too slow so that the internal pulse isnt there.

This is just kind of what I do though when I can get something in an hour, I obsess over it until I have it. I guess thats good and bad.

It's funny and I hate admitting this but a drum pattern I just love is from Bonhams Imagrant Song. I almost have it but theres just a small part with the bass thats eluding me. Whats so funny is that I'll hit it for three or four measures perfect and low and behold miss it on the the fifth measure. It's all about repetition and practice. etting all your limbs coordinated on funky little ditty's throws yur limbs ou of whack if they're not used to it.

Back