Recommend me some great blues albums!

whoreian

i started a thread about jazz albums with great jazz drumming and it was super helpful.

i'm also into blues and it would be great if you guys recommended me some great blues albums,and it would be fantastic if they had some good blues drumming in there too.

THANKS!!!

Get willie dixon's blues dixionary - a couple volumes worth, mixed artists, great tracks all round.

Get anything with fred below on it.

Little walter

Frankie Lee Sims

Howlin wolf (holwin at the moon is one album name i remember)

(with all these artists, just get any good compilation of their stuff. im not good with album names)

Modern stuff like little charlie and the night cats. very quality musicianship with a modern sound.

modern stuff with a great sound: nick curran and the nitelifes (album nitelife boogie!) get it :)

big boy bloater - modern, awesome

keb mo - some good modern blues and contemporary variety stuff. great musicians

muddy waters

any of the obvious big names are very good too. john lee hooker, slim harpo, t bone walker!!, i could go on, hope that is a start.

EDIT: johnny guitar watson, clapton had some good stuff!, freddie king, albert king, albert collins

i think ill leave it there for now. sincerely check out all these artists. :) gotta love this music

Last edited:
Just get Sirius satellite radio and listen to the Blues channel. Best 20 a month you'll ever spend. Plus there's so much more. Do they have that in Singapore?

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band (self titled first album - Sam Lay on drums)

Buddy Guy (pretty much anything by Buddy is great)

Sonny Boy Williamson

Muddy Waters had a long career with a LOT of great music. Muddy will always be the king of the Chicago blues.

For a modern band with an old school sound check out Watermelon Slim and The Workers (self titled album).

There's tons more, but I know a lot of others here will put in some more great suggestions.

anything from Chess Records (i like the 50's stuff mostly)... some of which is already here such as Muddy waters, Little Walter (My babe is a great song), Howling Wolf, Etta James (spoonful is a great tune).

there's a lot more and the label as a whole has so much good music that it's worth checking into all of it. I would say that i dont think a good blues record has come out in a VERY long time but labels like Alligator and Fat Possum records made me revise that. although those dude's are all really old and playing a old style of blues that will probably die with them.

also albert king, bb king, freddie king, lately ive been loving Charles Brown (listen to Drifting Blues), Sam Cooke's earlier stuff (Red Rooster)

thats a lot of stuff... enjoy the music and the search.

Modern blues atrists:

Keb Mo
Robert Cray
Derek Trucks Band

Peace and goodwill.

anything from Chess Records (i like the 50's stuff mostly)... some of which is already here such as Muddy waters, Little Walter (My babe is a great song), Howling Wolf, Etta James (spoonful is a great tune).

there's a lot more and the label as a whole has so much good music that it's worth checking into all of it. I would say that i dont think a good blues record has come out in a VERY long time but labels like Alligator and Fat Possum records made me revise that. although those dude's are all really old and playing a old style of blues that will probably die with them.

also albert king, bb king, freddie king, lately ive been loving Charles Brown (listen to Drifting Blues), Sam Cooke's earlier stuff (Red Rooster)

thats a lot of stuff... enjoy the music and the search.

This is great advice, I followed it and it paid off: The Three Kings, Freddie, Albert, and BB.

BB King - Live at Cook County Jail. My father's favorite Blues Album

Everyone else has suggester many of the greats. You can get a good collection with a "Best of" collection from Chess Records. They had some killer musicians on that label.

Among those is also the great Big Mama Thornton. The pipes on that woman make me weak in the knees. After I heard her version of Hound Dog I wanted to slap Elvis in the face for even trying.

Also damn the pay-radio. Just open a free Pandora account and start a channel with a few of those names or "Best of Chess Records" album, lean back and take in the goodness.

BB King - Live at Cook County Jail. My father's favorite Blues Album

Everyone else has suggester many of the greats. You can get a good collection with a "Best of" collection from Chess Records. They had some killer musicians on that label.

Among those is also the great Big Mama Thornton. The pipes on that woman make me weak in the knees. After I heard her version of Hound Dog I wanted to slap Elvis in the face for even trying.

Also damn the pay-radio. Just open a free Pandora account and start a channel with a few of those names or "Best of Chess Records" album, lean back and take in the goodness.

RM, funny you should mention it, I heard Big Mama Thornton do a version of Little Red Rooster today on XM and here she is again. It was great, this is an excellent thread.

In my opinion,Rory Gallagher was the most overlooked and underated musician on this side of the Atlantic.Although primarily a guitar player ,he also played several other instruments.
He was a great blues player with either electric or acoustic guitar,and a slide player as good as any you will ever hear.Any one of his albums is just on fire.If you want a song that will wake you up in the morning..listen to "Suped Up Ford"

Don't forget also to listen to the Allman Bros>Live at the Fillmore East.Great blues playing on that album

Steve B.

I used to love listening and playing the blues. Now it's really the only style of music I really don't enjoy listening to. To be honest, I think it's really, really boring. (Please - blues players, don't be offended. It's just not my thing - I have lots of respect for the blues).

HOWEVER, I do love Bill Frisell's "Blues Dream." The orchestrations are complex, deep, and original. It doesn't feel like your standard shuffle grooves and 12-bar blah blah blah. It really makes me miss my home in the mid west.

-sheldon

In my opinion,Rory Gallagher was the most overlooked and underated musician on this side of the Atlantic.Although primarily a guitar player ,he also played several other instruments.
He was a great blues player with either electric or acoustic guitar,and a slide player as good as any you will ever hear.Any one of his albums is just on fire.If you want a song that will wake you up in the morning..listen to "Suped Up Ford"

Don't forget also to listen to the Allman Bros>Live at the Fillmore East.Great blues playing on that album

Steve B.

Around 1976 or 7, I was 14 or 15, Rory Gallagher opened for Jethro Tull at Shea Stadium. I remember some guy who made all kinds of bluesy notes. Didnt know who I was even listening to.

Don't know if you consider this a great blues band but on the Led Zeppelin I, their first album, I believe that has Dazed and Confused on it, to me, that was a Blue Anthem. Took me a few years to figure it out but there is a lot of great blues on Zep I, II and III.

Don't know if you consider this a great blues band but on the Led Zeppelin I, their first album, I believe that has Dazed and Confused on it, to me, that was a Blue Anthem. Took me a few years to figure it out but there is a lot of great blues on Zep I, II and III.

yes.

and get some kind of Chess Records Box Set.

Howlin´ Wolf
Willie Dixon
Muddy Waters
John Lee Hooker

in fact, see Cadillac Records (the film of said and such).

Joe Bonamassa - Ballad of John Henry (album) and Dust Bowl (album)

B.B. King and Eric Clapton - Riding with the King.

Back