YOUR FAVOURITE RIDE CYMBALS

My 24" Paiste Giant Beat Ride - love that classic rock sound and the bell is unique.
Another fellow drummer has mentioned it as well!

Attachments

• 05-02-11_Giant Beat.jpg
    05-02-11_Giant Beat.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 2,503
I'd probably have to go with the Meinl Sand ride, or pretty much any Zildjian K. Maybe discluding the Special Dry.

I was going to say just about anything with a big "K" on it, especially the special dry ride! I own two of those, a very light one and a heavier one. They're very different and both great.

I'm liking my A Zildjian Med Ride. It seems to work for almost everything.
It has a nice ping and a mid sized bell that is suprisingly loud and defined.

The Paiste Alpha Rock Ride would work great for a second ride, for those driving beats though.

Oh no, now I gotta go and buy some more stuff. :/

I was going to say just about anything with a big "K" on it, especially the special dry ride! I own two of those, a very light one and a heavier one. They're very different and both great.

Sometimes I hear them being played and I love them, but with my experience playing them in the past I couldn't get the sound out of I wanted.
I would absolutely love it as a secondary ride though.

Also the K Light rides are one of my all time favorites.

My new K-Con 22" Medium Ride. Greatest cymbal I've ever played.
a%3E

Sounds like kind of an odd choice, but my 18" Zildjian K crash ride. Just picked it up a couple of weeks ago at GC used for WAY too cheap ($80). Used it at a couple of rehearsals and a gig and it suits me fine. Just the right amount of wash, a small but potent bell, and a nice dry crash when I lay into it. A bit smaller than I'm used to, but so much more responsive than a 20.

I like dry. Really dry.

My favorite that I've owned has definitely been my current Zildjian K Custom Dry Ride. Great, articulate, dry sound with a trashy bow sound.
I also absolutely love Sabian's Jojo Mayer Fierce Rides. One of the closest recreations (be it accidental or intentional) of Tony Williams' Nefertiti-era ride sound.

My friend has a k con 22" med thin low ride, and man it is the best ride I've ever heard. Such a great body and trashy edge, and the bell is just wonderful. Very separated from the rest of the cymbal but sooo nice.

I'm also a big fan of the Legacy and Legacy Heavy rides, and when my 22" Omni comes in this week, hopefully that will be at the top of my list as well.

Just to follow up on my earlier post: I just ordered the 21" AAX Stage Ride in brilliant.

I'd been searching ebay and used at GC, but found one new for not that much more than what I was finding used (and considerably less that the advertised $289 online price).

I hope I like it!

Just to follow up on my earlier post: I just ordered the 21" AAX Stage Ride in brilliant.

I'd been searching ebay and used at GC, but found one new for not that much more than what I was finding used (and considerably less that the advertised $289 online price).

I hope I like it!
Good work. Let us know when you get it. Seems like all the stage line is great all around stuff.

My new K-Con 22" Medium Ride. Greatest cymbal I've ever played. [/QUOTE]

Close...

22" K Con Bounce Ride. I just acquired one a few months ago. Man, what a cymbal.

Actually, I've never heard a K Con I didn't like.

One of my favorites is a 22" K Pre-Aged Dry Light (no longer made) which weighs in at right around 2300 grams. With the right kind of ride stick, it's a woody "tah" on an airy cushion of wash/trash with just a wee bit of "brittle" to round out its character. Zildjian still makes a 20" version of this (I think) but it's remarkably different than the 22s. I'm hoping to someday score a thinner version of the 22 to add to the family.

I'm also a fan of Bill Stewart's second generation ride cymbals (K Custom Dry Complex II), particularly the 24". Don't have one yet but it's on the shortlist.

spleen

My favorite rides are the Zildjian 20" K Custom Dark, Zildjian 21" Sweet ride, Sabian 21" Vintage ride, Sabian 21" Raw Bell Dry rides in both traditional and brilliant finishes (there is a significant difference in their sound with the edge going to the traditional) and some 20" Ping rides in both the Zildjian A and A Custom series. Other rides I own, but couldn't call them my favorites are a Zildjian A 20" Medium in a brilliant finish, 20" A Custom Medium, Sabian 20" HHX Evolution. I recently sold a very nice sounding Sabian AA Raw Bell Dry ride when I decided to invest in the Zildjian K Custom series. I usually run two rides on most of my kits and the above cymbals give me a very wide palate of sounds for virtually any genre of music without having to compromise.

Dennis

My 20" HHX Legacy Ride, IMO the perfect cymbal. However because I play with 2B's now I am getting a bit more wash from it than I require so I have to get a heavier ride with more of a ping I am getting a 21" AA Medium Heavy ride today, and using the Legacy as a Crash/Ride.

Meinl Byzance Traditional heavy ride 21"
Meinl Byzance dark raw bell ride
Sabian HH RBDR
Zildjian K heavy ride
Zildjian A custom ping ride, somehow it is crashable too!
Paiste powerslave ride
Paiste Twenty Custom full ride

Back