Phil Maturano here!

Bro! You did great at the day! Excellent questions and great participation! It was a great pleasure to meet you there and Luis also commented on that. I left you a message in your inbox here. Call when you can.
Big hugs
PM

Phil Maturano Mendoza Drummers intensive days! 28 a el 2do!! La Semana que viene!! En la Universidad de Cuyo. Edificio Cicun. Radio de la Universidad. Empezamos a las 19H. No se lo pierdan!!
afichejaz.jpg

Phil Maturano UK and Italy Clinic / Concert tour

Hey cats, just wanted to let you know about some dates in the UK and Italy.

I will be available for private lessons in London on the 8th in London.

And in Italy in the Taranto area on the 15th and 16th
If you want to have a slot just write me. All the best and hope to see you guys out there.

------------ LATEST NEWS!! ------------
UK and Italy Clinic and Concert Tour!!!
The Phil Maturano quartet - September 2009-
UK - Nov 5th Clinic @ Drumtech / London -
UK - Drummers Intensive day- Leeds!!
UK - Master class at Drum sense London
UK - Nov 11 Gig Phil Maturano Quartet @ "Roadside" / London
UK - Nov 12 Clinic @ ACM Guildford
UK - Nov 12 Gig Phil Maturano Quartet@ Charlie Wrights International / London

Italy - November 13 Clinic - Rome
Italy - Nov14 Phil Maturano Quartet@ Club Chibus in Brindisi
Italy - Nov 15 Phil Maturano Quartet in Taranto
Italy Nov. 15 Clinic in Leece
Italy -16 and 17 Private lessons day!!! Sign up by writing me

After that comes Germany Will keep you posted!
PM

hi phil,

i was wondering if you could link/suggest any typical latin styled 5/8 or 7/8 clave patterns?
9 or 11 are ok too, but i thought the shorter ones would be easier to start.

its to use against 4/4 - just some ideas i want to work out for grooves.

thanks.

matt

I love your playing, you always sound great, no matter the situation. So what was the one album that inspired you to drum?
Thanks in advanced

Last edited:
hi phil,

i was wondering if you could link/suggest any typical latin styled 5/8 or 7/8 clave patterns?
9 or 11 are ok too, but i thought the shorter ones would be easier to start.

its to use against 4/4 - just some ideas i want to work out for grooves.

thanks.

matt

Bratha Dedworx!
Well...haha....thats a pretty tall order. I wish I could help you out but i dont have anything written out like that. Maybe one of these days I will get it to you.

All the best
PM

I love your playing, you always sound great, no matter the situation. So what was the one album that inspired you to drum?
Thanks in advanced

Thanks for the kind words bro.

I cant say there was one album. There were so many factors.
I would have to say it was James Brown at first. Hearing that stuff freaked me out as a kid.
And you?

Peace
P

Well its a tough choice but when I first heard moving pictures by Rush, I knew i had to step up my game and then I discovered more and more music of all styles, its a never ending process that I love

Hey Phil,
I just got back from your clinic at Drumtech, London. It was one of the best live performances I have ever seen. I have always been interested in Afro-cuban stuff, but have never really tried learning it on the drumset. After that performance I think I am going to start very soon though.

Could you tell me some Voodoo dance-type music that you were talking about in the clinic, to get me started with this kinda stuff?? There was this one particular section in one of the tracks you were playing along to which was somewhere in between a 2 and a 3 feel (2 and 3 is the same, right? :p) which I found very interesting, rhythmically. So I was just wondering what I should listen to to get started because there is a lot of stuff out there.

Regards,
Kartikeya.

Hey Phil,
I just got back from your clinic at Drumtech, London. It was one of the best live performances I have ever seen. I have always been interested in Afro-cuban stuff, but have never really tried learning it on the drumset. After that performance I think I am going to start very soon though.

Could you tell me some Voodoo dance-type music that you were talking about in the clinic, to get me started with this kinda stuff?? There was this one particular section in one of the tracks you were playing along to which was somewhere in between a 2 and a 3 feel (2 and 3 is the same, right? :p) which I found very interesting, rhythmically. So I was just wondering what I should listen to to get started because there is a lot of stuff out there.

Regards,
Kartikeya.

Hey bratha Karti'

Thank you for the kind words and I am very happy you enjoyed it.

There are many things you can listen to, to get your feet wet with this genre.
But the first i always recommend...is "Muñequitos de Matanza"
Google them and get everything you can find that they have done. Its really a beautiful way to start and so much fun!!

If you can remind me of which track you mean. The one with the super stretchy feel?
If it was a play along track it could have been "Doin the Duhs" From my book..."Working the Inner Clock"

If not write me back and let me know.
All the best and stay in touch
PM

The gangster groove from Argentina ....Its called Cumbia Villera.:)

I swish around the feel of it because I am kind of used to playing that way. Its mix of 6 and 2, but you can be real precise with it in sequenced tracks. Makes the tracks come alive!

If you check out "Latin soloing for the Drumset" and the theory of RTS it will clear up lot of things.

it wont take 20 years:) Do your thing and it will be there before you know it!

Big hugs
PM

i wanted to post it again here for the people in germany that the drummers intensive day in duisburg is on the 21.2 on sunday now and some more information about it in german!
thank you!

ich wollte hier nochmal aufmerksam machen auf den drummers intensive day am 21.2, jetzt sonntag in duisburg!!!

Am 21.2 findet in Duisburg wieder eine von Phil Maturanos berühmten "drummers intensive days" statt.
6 Stunden Private Masterclass, bei dem nicht nur zugeschaut werden, sondern im gegenteil sehr aktiv daran teilgenommen werden soll.
Was passiert?
Phil wird euch zeigen worum es sich dreht beim Jazz, Latin, Technik, wie man übt und verschiedene konzepte, die euch ganz sicher weit nach vorne bringen werden!

Was ihr mitnehmt?
eine menge spaß, seine zwei bücher "working the inner clock" und "latin soloing for drumset", seine Anleitung zum richtigen üben und seine dvd "afro cuban drumming".
und kaffee und apfelkuchen! :)

kosten?
100€

bei fragen wendet euch an phil ([email protected]) direkt oder an mich stefan mühlenkamp ([email protected])

wenn ihr an dem workshop teilnehmen wollt, dann meldet euch bitte an. da die plätze begrenzt sind bräuchten wir eine verbindliche zusage.

HI Cats, just wanted to share the latest about my online lessons.

New Online lesson ready to go!! "How to Practice" - Don't leave practicing to chance. Developed to maximize practice time and stay focused! For beginners to pro's,
---------------
Have you ever wondered exactly HOW to practice. Most of the time I see players just "wing it". But practicing is a life long endeavor and serious business. It cannot be left to chance. If it's disorganized you will suffer practice burn out, waste precious studio time that you might be paying for! And of course you could be wasting your own time!! If you are serious about practicing then you need a system that will organize your thoughts as well as your material.
Practicing for hours and hours will do little good if everything you do is random.
This is a system I designed for players with a heavy workload of subjects. Learn how to keep your mind in order as well as your schedule. A very important part of your formula that is often ignored. "How to practice" has been a hit with drummers across the world. Now the system is finally on a video.
" How to practice" will change your drumming life" -Rob Steiner / Drummer USA
http://philmaturano.com/onlinelessons.html
Howtopractice1.jpg

When you get any lesson from my online lessons page, you get my CD "Changes" as a bonus:)

All the best
PM

Hi All.

So I want to thank you all for contributing to our great thread on Piracy.

After reading about what we all had to say...Here is what I have done. We have a way for you guys to be a part of the new DVD. "Working the Inner Clock - Part 2"

I am now entering the pre-production phase of the shoot. The music is almost done!! After 7 months of solid writing.

Here is the link to my site where you can read all about becoming a part of the DVD.

http://philmaturano.com/innerclocktwo.html

I am very grateful for everyones feedback and look forward to seeing how this works out. If this is the new model of things to come, then this is the pioneer effort. A DVD has never been done this way. Lets see what happens.

A sneak peak ...bit about the DVD...If you are familiar with the "Inner Clock" method this will be exciting. If not drop by my page and check out the original book.

Featured Players
This time I will also be featuring some of my favorite musicians from around the world on the tracks. Not only sequenced parts but top musicians playing with the tracks. So that the feel of the pieces drummers and percussionists will play along with is greatly improved. AND...I will be featuring different drummers doing alternate takes of the tunes. So that we can all get as much inspiration as possible from each song. This has never been done before in play along books and I am sure that everyone involved in working with the method will be extremely satisfied.

Guest Artists signed on so far
Cliff Almond – Drums (NY)
Tom Kennedy – Bass (NY)
Andreas Schermann – Piano (DE)
Sean Nowel – Sax (NY)
Pete Lockett (UK)
Derrick Murdock – Bass (LA)
Jojo Mayer – Drums (NY)
Irio Oʼfarill - Bass (NY)
Bob Quaranta - Piano (NY)
Francisco Torres – Trombone (LA)
More are in the works!