Double pedalling

Funkdoc

So i've been playing for a fair while now and i seem to just keep losing the ability to double pedal, it's really weird and annoying, on average i practice like 6-8 hours a week split into 2 sessions, but my feet just don't seem to be consistent.
I sort of go through phases where i'll be flying through 180bpm with both pedals going perfectly, then the next day or a few days later and i can barely keep them synchronized at any speed.
Does anyone else get this?

Ya, once in a while, not very often. I think most of the guys that are real good play for several Hr. everyday. I practice about like you, so I'm not real good, but I'm not giving up. Keep on going, the only to get better.

Practice daily it helps a lot, even if only for 15 mins. Just make sure its actually practice not messing around behind the drums.

Don't feel bad. All I can accomplish generally is double back-pedaling.

You could look up examples of double bass fills + techniques on the internet, then practise them at different speeds.
Sure. E.g. look up for "derek roddy lessons" on YouTube, watch lessons #2 and #3. Those are superb for more foot control.

Derek Roddy's 1st DVD (Evolution of Blast Beats) has great advice on double bass, too - including exercises to get better balance because this is pretty important - being comfortable at the thronde.

George Kollias has 2 superb DVD tutorials out there, too - "Intense Metal Drumming" I & II (the 2nd one is brand new). Both have tons of great tips and numerous exercises/patterns.

Search for "double bass", "foot technique" etc. on this forum and you'll find lots of threads as this is frequently discussed.

This isn't exactly on topic but more overall recommendations as for great tutorials. They might/should help you though as they might hold a couple things you haven't been aware of or how to optimize your settings to make your playing easier.

Double bass playing takes a huge amount of time and dedication.

Last edited:
Cheers guys, glad to know i'm not the only one with off-days, just seems that mine are more often D:

And thanks Arky, just watched Roddy's videos and they seem pretty solid, guess i just need more intense practices

Any single stroke exercise for the hands will work great for the feet. Also the first 3 pages of stick control is good to practice.

8 on a hand type of exercises are really good because you can really focus on making the strokes as relaxed as possible.

The best approach I've found is to start at a comfortable tempo for 5-10 minutes and work your self up by increasing by 10bpm and stay there for 5-10 minutes until increasing again until you reach your goal tempo. This way you practice those difficult in between tempos.

Back