Wavelength

Platinum Member
They're here! My good ol' snare was finally joined by the rest of his family:

531915623_29377b12e4.jpg

531915617_b9804c1da2.jpg

531915605_614891181a.jpg

531915609_3870a74d5f.jpg

531915597_1f1f720196.jpg

The pictures don't really do justice to the real thing, but trust me when I say they are utterly and entirely beautiful works of art!

Snare 14" x 5,5"
Tom-tom 10" x 8"
Floor tom 14" x 12"
Bass drum 20" x 17"

The cymbals are Meinl Byzance 21" dark ride and 20" thin ride and 14" Zildjian A Custom hats.

(For more information about Kumu drums, go here.)

EDIT: Sound clips ohoy! Here's some shoddy playing after a week's break. The cymbals are the same as in the pictures, plus a Meinl Byzance 16" Thin crash and a Paiste Signature 10" splash. I used just an SM57 to record the whole kit, and added some reverb for some color.

View attachment 13211

Sound clip 2.

Sound clip 3.

EDIT 2: I finally got the opportunity to video my own playing.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lLlB2UdsE4A

Cymbals (from left to right):

-18" Masterwork Custom china
-16" Meinl Byzance thin crash
-20" Meinl Byzance thin ride
-17" Meinl Byzance medium thin crash
-10" Paiste Signature splash
-13" Meinl Byzance medium hi-hat

EDIT 3: New video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZnCt_B4s_o

EDIT 4: Yet another video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uge6t07jvWM

EDIT 5: Three new clips! Trading eights / Movemented -- Part 1 / Movemented -- Part 2

EDIT 6: Yet another clip, but this time it's just a two-piece: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP14lghcKzI. The cymbals are 14" K Custom Dark Hats, 20" Byzance Extra Thin Jazz Ride, 20" Byzance Thin Ride, 22" K Custom Dry Light Ride and 20" K Ride.

EDIT 7: Yet another video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkEGJi2xHi0

EDIT 8: The latest incarnation of the kit looks like this (jump to page 5 for more pics...):

4727499980_0050d7dd54_b.jpg

Last edited:
they're beautiful! what kind of wood are they? and whats the holes in the side of the bassdrum for? never seen that.

they're beautiful! what kind of wood are they? and whats the holes in the side of the bassdrum for? never seen that.

They're made from Finnish birch. The hole is used for micing the drum from the inside without needing to perforate the resonant head. It also acts as a vent to prevent the nasty plasticky "piiiing" you usually get when using two intact heads.

Sweet lord, what a beauty! Excellent finish and a really nice setup, along with those cymbals.
I dig the idea of the bass drum hole. Must be a soundengineers dream.
How can you describe the sound of the woodhoop-fitted toms? (soundclips?) How durable are they?

Well, now I know for shure which brand I'll get next.. :D
I guess it was simple ordering one, as you live in finland. How long did you wait for them?
Price?

AHHHHH!!! No comment...

...I can just say (as I already said): WOW. That is one beautiful kit. Also those are the perfect sizes, and your cymbal choice is awesome aswell.

Wanna swap? ;-)

haaaappy drumming. happy drumming. ha...damn, that`s so awesome.

Karl

Dude, someone put a hole in the side of your kick......

How much does thst cut down on the resonance?

Beautiful set...

I would love to play that set.

I think it looks really cool, especially with those rims.

Good stuff.

OMG that kit is SOOO beautiful! and yes as Karl said the cymbals make the kit even more beautiful.

That's my favourite kit on this forum. The hoops, the finish, the everything looks amazing. seriously nice kit. have you got any recordings of you on that i'd love to hear it? How much was it for the whole kit if you don't mind me asking?

Tom

Wow! That is a stunning set of drums. Everything looks just perfect, including your cymbals. I've been to the Kumu website before and spent a long time drooling over their incredible kits and snares. If your rack tom was a 12x8 you would have my dream kit.

I'm intrigued by the lugs on your drums - can't see if the connecting strip is also chrome (with the drum's colour reflected in it) or whether it actually has some kind of stained inlay. Either way, they complement the classy stain and fade of the finish as well as those wood hoops beautifully. Well done and enjoy them.

I'm intrigued by the lugs on your drums - can't see if the connecting strip is also chrome (with the drum's colour reflected in it) or whether it actually has some kind of stained inlay.

It is a piece of wood glued to the connecting strip. I think the idea is just marvelous and looks great, and of course you can have the strips and the shell painted with different colors.

How much was it for the whole kit if you don't mind me asking?

The shell pack cost me some 3200 Euros. The snare is gloss lacquered, and it alone cost nearly 900 Euros. A bit steep, but well worth it. As a side note, a similar kit without the wood hoops and the lacquer finish would cost about 2300 Euros.

How much does (the hole) cut down on the resonance?

A very minimal amount, and even that small amount is compensated by the resonance given by the intact resonant head.

Wanna swap? ;-)

Sure...

NOT!

I dig the idea of the bass drum hole. Must be a sound engineers dream. How can you describe the sound of the woodhoop-fitted toms? (soundclips?) How durable are they?

Indeed, micing the drum is pretty effortless. The wood hoops are very durable. I have played the snare for a year and a half, and countless rimshots have left just some cosmetic marks on it. It's built like a cleaver's block, and it is designed to take a beating.

I'll post some sound clips as soon as I can. I'm busy working at the moment, and I have absolutely no time to play them -- which is a major bummer, I might add! Based on my experience on other wood hoop Kumus I can say that the sound is somewhat fuller and "woodier" when compared to triple-flanged steel hoops.

Nice looking drums!

I don't care for the bass venting or the size of the rack tom , but whatever floats your boat brother! :)

I guess it was simple ordering one, as you live in finland. How long did you wait for them?

The drums were built and shipped in four months. Delivery times might go up in the near future, since Kumu's popularity is increasing all the time, even outside Finland. I guess showing them off at London paid off...

Dang, I just realised I should've posted this in "My Place". Would the moderators be so kind as to move this thread to where it belongs, please.

Back