Bass reso: smooth white P3 or coated amb

MadJazz

Silver Member
Because for some odd reason coated powerstroke3 heads don't come without the stripes, I'm considering one of these heads (both ported):

smooth white P3
or
coated ambassador with felt strip

It's too expensive to try both heads so your advice is welcome. I want a dry sustain with body, not a flimsy boom.

Because for some odd reason coated powerstroke3 heads don't come without the stripes, I'm considering one of these heads (both ported):

smooth white P3
or

It's too expensive to try both heads so your advice is welcome. I want a dry sustain with body, not a flimsy boom.
I don't think that there will be that much diference in the sound being that it's a reso. Smooth heads look better and are easier to wipe clean. You can put a felt strip on the p3 if you want.
I would go with the P3 for those reasons.

I don't think that there will be that much diference in the sound being that it's a reso. Smooth heads look better and are easier to wipe clean. You can put a felt strip on the p3 if you want.
I would go with the P3 for those reasons.

Agree with Bob... coated heads get dirty after a while and look like garbage... Smooth PS3 would be my choice.

I have a coated ambassador on the reso side of my 20 inch bass drum, but I wish I'd gone with a smooth white P3! "Flimsy boom" is the phrase which best describes this head if played unmuffled. I taped a small block of foam on it to control the overtones and fatten the sound; it sounds good, but I think I prefer the "out-of-the-box" playability of Powerstroke 3's, and would recommend them to others.

I have a coated ambassador on the reso side of my 20 inch bass drum, but I wish I'd gone with a smooth white P3! "Flimsy boom" is the phrase which best describes this head if played unmuffled. I taped a small block of foam on it to control the overtones and fatten the sound; it sounds good, but I think I prefer the "out-of-the-box" playability of Powerstroke 3's, and would recommend them to others.
The Ambassador is known for a wonderful long sustained ring. Not desirable to many on a bass drum reso. Jazz guys like Amb's for that.
MadJazz wants to port the reso. That will take away some boom. The felt strip will solve any ring problems that he may want to eliminate with the p3.

OK thanks a lot.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 20 characters.

smooth white P3
or

You can order Coated PS3s without the stripe. I guarantee it.

P3-11XX-00 is the part number for a Coated PS3 WITHOUT Stripes. "XX" is the size of the drum you are ordering for.

Just by changing the end of the product number from either "BP" or "C2" to "00" will have the stripes removed.

You can order Coated PS3s without the stripe. I guarantee it.

P3-11XX-00 is the part number for a Coated PS3 WITHOUT Stripes. "XX" is the size of the drum you are ordering for.

Just by changing the end of the product number from either "BP" or "C2" to "00" will have the stripes removed.

That's great information!

I'm gonna check with the store manager if this costs more.

or you could try an Aquarian full force coated reso, which is the same thing as the Remo PS 3 without the stripe, and is usually in stock. One thing I don't like about the Remo smooth white PS 3 is they use a smooth white film for the muffling ring, so it shows through on the front, and isn't as classy looking to me.

Oh, and Evans also makes an awesome coated pre-muffled bass reso, the EQ1 coated. You can get these with a port already installed, too. These heads are thinner at 7 mils, but they are the warmest and most sensitive resos I've ever tried, and seem to give the drum more volume, too. They are rather pricey though, and the Evans logo on the front is a little big.

Back