Making Ends Meet Between Tours?

iamDevinAdams

Hey Drummerworld, I've been a "lurker" for a long time and have acquired plenty of useful information from this site, but this is my first post.

I plan on moving to Nashville TN in the near future. I know I have the talent to grab some playing opportunities, and I'm just trying to piece together a plan of action so I can begin to make a living in Music City, USA. I am trying to find independent artists/ up and coming signed artists looking for drummers, and have found a couple opportunities I'm in the process of working out.

So Here's my question: What are ways that most of you drummers make ends meet between tours? Let's say I leave for 4 months on a tour, I obviously can't keep a regular day job over that time, so when I'm first getting started, what are some good ways to make ends meet in between tours? I probably wont be making very much money on my first few tours, so what are good temporary jobs or money making opportunities I can take? I know giving lessons is a good one, but what else?

I'd really appreciate any thoughts or ideas.

Thanks,

Devin

Let's say yes. I don't have any real plans yet, I'm just formulating a plan. But let's say I'm gonna have 2 other roommates to help with rent.

Also, are you automatically going to get on some tour? How is that working out? Last I heard there are ALOT of musicians in that town looking for work, and those are the ones that are already there and in the circuit, so to speak. Are you one of those people?

Most of the working musicians I know hustle when off tour. They teach, they work part-time in a music shop, some are fortunate enough to work as a drum tech for another drummer. I know one that is a street performer (Kick/Hat/Snare + cashbox). If you do cover material, or can sight read, you can sub. If you're able to do session work, see if you can pick some up.

Getting work can be tough, and for most of the drummers I know, finding work 'is' their full time job.

Most of the working musicians I know hustle when off tour. They teach, they work part-time in a music shop, some are fortunate enough to work as a drum tech for another drummer. I know one that is a street performer (Kick/Hat/Snare + cashbox). If you do cover material, or can sight read, you can sub. If you're able to do session work, see if you can pick some up.

Getting work can be tough, and for most of the drummers I know, finding work 'is' their full time job.

Thanks, very helpful. Anyone have any more ideas?

Bo Eder: I'm not in the city yet, I'm working on getting money to move there. I'm looking at gigs on craigslist and musicians wanted sites to get a feel for what's available on at the lower levels.

Con struct: Thats the exact question that I'm asking.

Thanks, very helpful. Anyone have any more ideas?

Bo Eder: I'm not in the city yet, I'm working on getting money to move there. I'm looking at gigs on craigslist and musicians wanted sites to get a feel for what's available on at the lower levels.

Con struct: Thats the exact question that I'm asking.

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but this is a non-starter if I've ever seen one. You don't have enough money to get there and you don't know what you're going to do once you get there.

Let me ask you this: what gives you the idea that you're ready to compete with the very high class of musicians in that city who are also looking for work?

Lots and lots of gigs that don't pay because there are 1001 drummers who will do any gig just for "the experience" or in hopes of "being discovered".

Which isn't to say it can't happen. But competition is fierce.

As we say in Los Angeles, there are no waiters or waitresses, just actors/musicians in-between jobs.

As has been said, you are a stranger going into a strange land, or in this case, town...

By the sounds of it you have no contacts and no knowledge of the local music scene...

Unless you have several hundred thousand dollars to prop yourself up for several years, you'll be back home in no time.

you need to network and get your name around town, that my friend can take years!!

Working on money to get there..............this is a waste of a post if I ever I saw one

Sorry, old jaded musician here, who's been there and done that and seen them all come and go

If you are young and can live on rice, then go for it..........if you are at all weak willed, or can't take the rough with the smooth, don't waste your time, or anyone else's.......

hqdefault.jpg

Have you considered selling a bit of the ol' man-gina?

Between tours? To get to a "tour" you'll need to get employed in one of the most talent-full cities in the world. Once you get into the rotation you will have to hook up with a group that ends up on tour and keeps you as their drummer. So making ends meet until you get all that started will be the first order of business. I would try 7-11 unless you've got the resume to get on with a "regular" business until the music takes off. Good luck.

One of my band mates had a chance to have a long talk with Lzzie Hale of Halestorm after one of their shows. She gave him a few words of advice which boiled down to find a group where you can be creative and work with and stay where you are. Play as often and wherever you can, but stay where you are for now. With the internet it doesn't matter so much where you are, what is more important is that you work on your material and delivery, then start touring out of your area. Moving to an area like LA and Nashville might put you in the middle of a lot of talent, but you are now a fish in a huge pond with a lot of other fish.

On to the original topic, number one piece of advice, keep your day job, and if you don't have one a career as backup. Like some of the other posters mentioned there are potentially a lot of people out there who will play for cheap or even free. You can build up a band, material, and a following while working. Eventually you can have merchandise and do short tours. If all works out you might be a be to live the dream, worst case you still have a fun side project or hobby.

There are 4 members in our band, two of us have careers. The other two are still trying to figure out what to do. Our lead guitarist in particular has had the attitude that he was going to be a "professional musician", but is finally coming around to the reality that he needs a backup plan.

Edit, pic of him and Lzzie for those on Facebook:
https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t1.0-9/562298_10201162807935453_1220281128_n.jpg

I hate to tell you this kid,but you can't swing a dead cat without hitting very good,well known,experienced,WELL connected,union card carring,Nashville number system reading, studio and touring drummers.Usually the big studio guys,like Paul Liem, don't tour,or tour very little.

Nashville is LOADED with great players,and the biz isn't looking for anymore,in an evironment that already ,overloaded with dreamers.However talanted you may be,those that are there already ,have connections,and are playing around in clubs ,just to get heard

Our own Bill Bachmann is, or was a Nashville guy.He can tell you first hand the real deal.The chances of you,just dropping into a great deal,are litteraly .....zero.

Lastly,most touring drummers are poor people.....at best .If they're playing with a known artist,they're paid like hired help,which is usually verry little.

Hopefully,Bill or Bermuda will chime in here.It's not impossible to make a living playing drums,but there's a lot of hustle involved.

Steve B

Steve's right, and hustling is a real art whose ultimate success includes a healthy dose of luck.

I wouldn't recommend moving anywhere without a plan, and the ability to already make a living (day-job/career.) Nashville is majorly saturated with great players, and there's no lack of passionate, willing, and talented players. Not mention the influx of outsiders who've gone there looking for fame & fortune. It's not just a challenge... it's an uphill climb.

There's one possible encouraging aspect of the Nashville scene, artists often use one group of players in the studio, and another group live, so there's twice as many opprtunities. But, they work half as much. And tours are often the weekend-warrior variety, not 4-6 months of solid work. And... because of the glut of players there, you're not going to make top-dollar, because someone trying to survive will work for less.

So, good luck! And by that I mean, good luck.

Bermuda

Back to the original question of how to survive between tours, assuming you are actually touring. You work! Teach, play local gigs, have a day job... probably all three.

It's no secret that I had a full-time career while up & coming with Weird Al, even having my endorsed company product and Gold & Platinum records sent to my office! I never missed a tour or a session, and they treated me well, because I treated them well. There was never a hint that I considered it a day job until my career took off, and I was always 100% when I was on the job. Granted, there are precious few jobs today that would allow an employee the kind of freedom I had in the '80s & '90s, but that's what I did, and there was no shame or embarrassment about it, despite being with a national touring and recording artist. My fellow struggling musicians would have killed to be in my shoes: pursuing a dream, and being able to afford it.

The alternative is to starve for your 'art', but trust me, that's higly over-rated. Don't do it.

This is a tough business, good luck.

Bermuda

Last edited:
so what are good temporary jobs or money making opportunities I can take?

This thread may be more about business than being a musician. You might visit a library and look at some books about 'how to start your own business' and "how to be an entrepreneur'. Basically try different ideas and stick with what works.

I appreciate all the posts, but I feel like some of you read the topic as "Reasons why it is extremely difficult to make a living in Nashville" I know it's difficult to make it in the music business. I know Nashville is over saturated with talented players. I also know that everyone has to start somewhere. Telling me "Don't try to be a musician there! It's really really really hard!" Doesn't do anything to my plans, doesn't make me think maybe this IS a bad idea. I'm not an idiot, I'm not gonna move out there and starve to death, I'll have a plan of where I'm going to live, how I plan to work, and where to fit in my pursuit of "the dream". I guess it's in the nature of working musicians to say don't move here, the biz doesn't need you. But again, everyone has to start somewhere. I'll be playing drums on a cruise ship for a while (once my damn proship agent calls me) and I'll be using that money to get me to Nashville where I will find a day job. Then comes the music search.

Thanks for all the useful comments, and the reality check, but it's like you said, a select few get to make a living playing music. And I believe I can be part of that select few.

Back