some of you may find this very important info

This is what I see happening but hope they come to some new arrangement.

“Some lawyers and managers see this as an opportunity to go in and renegotiate a new and better deal. But I think there are going to be some artists who feel so strongly about this that they are not going to want to settle, and will insist on getting all their rights back.”

Agree with Don H is it should be about parity.

Finding it hard to imagine musicians getting the rights to their music from the record companies. I always thought the way of the world was suits-beat-creatives in the same way as rock-beats-scissors.

Going to be a battle but I cannot see the record companies winning it unless they pay off alot of people. As far as studio musicians go I have no idea, sounds like a big mess that will tie up the legal systems for decades. I think record companies are going to be extinct for all intents and purposes in the near future anyway and if they fight this for a long time it will be much sooner than later.

Thanks Gary, very interesting. It's about time the artists get what they deserve...if it flies. It probably won't, artists have continually gotten the shaft, it's hard to change the status quo. But this just may have some teeth, what with the copyright provision and all. I don't see how the record companies have a leg to stand on, artists were not their employees.

A very interesting article.

I have never understood how the labels have called artists "work for hire" and then tied all expenses to the artists small cut.

Back